1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Enter the Giant Slayer - Andrew Jones Pioneer Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Wolverine, Sep 15, 2018.

1. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

IMG_0990.JPG IMG_0991.JPG Hit my usual Saturday morning thrifts and came upon two pairs of Andrew Jones designed speakers - SP-FS52 Floor speakers and a pair of the highly regarded SP-BS22LR bookshelf speakers. I have been intrigued by the bookshelf speakers since coming across a old review of them in Stereophile magazine. Since both pairs were available for less than half the cost of the bookshelf speakers when they first came out I thought I would try to sneak them into the house and give them a try. I am going to hook them up shortly and hopefully hear if these merited the hype or were just tripe.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. zebra03

zebra03 All Audio - NO BS

They were all the rage when they came out .

Wolverine likes this.
  3. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

A while ago a friend brought over a pair of the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer BS21LR's. We listened to some tunes played through Yamaha NS-2000's in my main system, then hooked up the BS21LR's and played the same tracks. The BS21LR's were muffled & muddy sounding in comparison to the NS-2000's.

Fair comparison? Only if you believe that Andrew Jones Pioneers are giant slayers.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Tom White, Bodyblue and restorer-john like this.
  4. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Man, I'm old. These are already showing up in thrifts??

SPL db, WillVT, 4-2-7 and 3 others like this.
  5. Wolverine

I'm not familiar with the Yamaha's but I would not describe the Pioneers that I am listening to as muddy. I started with Norah Jones "Come Away with Me" SACD and they sounded quite good up and down the spectrum though Bass is not wall shaking. When I saw the muddy comment I then went with Vivaldi's "Four Seasons"and the strings were clear and precise. I still have a bit more listening with them but so far so good....

Based on the date on the back these date from only 2014. The plugs were still in the connectors and based on their condition they appear to have been lightly used. Maybe for a secondary system but whatever the reason I am not complaining.

6. electrode101

electrode101 Member

You could consider the Pioneer's "muddy", if you assume the Yamaha's are "flat".

i.e., it all depends on your reference.

jD

Wolverine likes this.

7. darkblue94

darkblue94 It wasn't me. Subscriber

I had a pair of the SP-BS22LRs for a while a couple of years ago, they didn't last long as they weren't anywhere as good as the hype and I already had better speakers anyways. Some people really love then while others don't. To each their own, as they say. :)

jnoyes, Tom White, Bodyblue and 4 others like this.
  8. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

Frame of reference is crucial. The Andrew Jones Pioneers aren't bad sounding, but compared to much better speakers the shortcomings of the Pioneers are obvious. If the Pioneers had sounded better than the Yamaha's my ears would have told me so.

jnoyes, Tom White, spark1 and 2 others like this.
  9. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

I had the 22's. Enjoyed, and then moved further up. I think OP did fine.

Wolverine likes this.
  10. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

Well, comparing these:
    [​IMG]

. . . to these
    [​IMG]
    . . . is like comparing, well, you get the point.

GeeDeeEmm

fishondwan, drtool, Bdbras84 and 3 others like this.
  11. valvenator

valvenator curious bystander, serious procrastinator Subscriber

It's not you that got old fast, it's the speakers:D
    What I noticed about them is that for some odd reason electric guitars sounded like they were coming from back stage.
    Most everything else seemed fine, though they really needed some power to open up and I do most listening at moderately low volumes.
    Reference and I might add preference.
    Guess they might be giant killers depending on the giants you compare them to:dunno:

Wolverine and darkblue94 like this.

12. vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0 vintage 5.0 Subscriber

Looks like you got a nice set of speakers. I like the way you said "Sneak them into the house" LOL I think we can all relate to that.

Wolverine likes this.
  13. Natertots

Natertots Member

I think the 22’s are supposed to be a fair bit better than the 21’s. I believe the 21’s were the first attempt and the 22’s were when he got it right. I am not saying the 22’s would compare to the Yammy’s, but I don’t think it’s fair to judge the 22’s based on the performance of their predecessor.

That said, I haven’t heard either so I can’t be of any real help.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Wolverine likes this.
  14. Wolverine

In all honesty I was just having a little fun with the title based on the reviews I have read on them. These Pioneer speakers are not going to replace my Rogers LS3/6's or the Polk RTA-12's in my main setup. They are most likely going to allow me to take my Von Schweikert VR2's out of my main Home Theater setup and back to my Music Room.

After giving them some listening time I do believe that the hype over them is well deserved based on their sound especially relative to their cost and the expectation that a audio enthusiast has about speakers in this price range and the current reputation for speakers by a mainstream audio company like Pioneer.

In my opinion these speakers are the modern day equivalent that the almost legendary Realistic Minimus 7 has with many audiophiles. The sound is not the world class but when coupled with the size and cost (the fact they were a Radio Shack product as well) our expectations for them is overwhelmed and leads to a lot praise for their sound.

With all the concern that the audio industry is dying due to the younger generation being content with ear buds and Bluetooth speakers I would argue that more audio companies should take a page from Pioneer's playbook and see if they can produce a series of similar speakers. The combination of sound, price and size of these speakers or comparable speakers from other companies I think could be a effective way to attract newer audio consumers. The OEM price of these speakers is on par with some of the Bluetooth speakers I have seen out there.

I would highly recommend this speakers to anyone looking to put together a secondary system on a budget or looking to help introduce a friend or family member to the audio hobby.

Audio Fan likes this.
  15. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

I never heard the towers.
    I do know there was a 21 and a 22 and the 22 was supposed to be much better.
    I have a pair of 22s someplace here. They are nice little speakers . They also sold new for (often under 100$ a pair with free shipping)
    At they price point they were very good. In the deep end of the pool they can be beat. Somewhere here there's a thread about modding them (driver change, crossover change.) Supposedly a nice upgrade. Chances are (very good chances are?) they're not knocking your favorites (which you have significantly more coin invested) out of the box.
    Small space, office, shop, study.... Should be a decent choice.
    Based the the OPs story I'd think he should be very happy.

I think at one point , I had a little bear 3 tube pre paired with a 3116 chip amp into a pair of 22s
    (One of those side trips we make along hour audio journey)
    For less than the price of a nice dinner for 2, it was (for what it was) a very good little sounding system.

Wolverine likes this.
  16. Wolverine

You forget how cheap I am and how lucky I have been finding gear at thrifts and on Craigslist. :D
    But you are right that for the cost of a couple of meals with the family at Chick-Fil-A I got some decent speakers that will do fine for HT duty.

Hope you can make it to Rick's for the get together next month!

17. 7.62

7.62 Gearhead Subscriber

I've never heard either speaker, but I'm enjoying the read LOL, it was a good sneak obviously cause the wifey hahaha,

I've given up on that one, last time I just gave up and came clean at the door...Honey :D. Hard to get Infinity 2.5's and RS2B's in the house without noticing :bigok:.

darkblue94 likes this.
  18. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I have heard them - they are OK, no great shakes, but they do sound good for the price. There are better out there and of course only your ears can decide what it good for you.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Wolverine and Ds2000 like this.
  19. Wolverine

IMG_0992.JPG
    Well early this morning I swapped out the Pioneers and the VR2's before she got up. See the pic above of one of the VR2's and while they are very different to us I am hoping that in her mind she might just see the same tall black speaker that was there yesterday..... :D

Audio Fan likes this.
  20. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier

That's exactly it--they punch way above their class. Try finding something new today at a similar price and see what it buys--not much. Jones designed for KEF for many years, and also worked in tandem with TAD who made speakers costing into the five figures. Listen to him talk about the ELAC speakers and he will clearly state that everything is a tradeoff when designing speakers. Comparing them to speakers that are decades old even falls flat, since once those old speakers original costs are adjusted to today's dollars, they end up being a much higher value.

These Pioneers were something you could recommend to friends who are on a budget but still want decent sound (and avoid the hassles of used speakers).

It took my better half six months before she noticed the Vandys in the family room. I had speakers in there prior with a black grill and on stands that made them not quite as tall so at first glance, no, they didn't stand out. But I just found it quite funny...especially when I told her that no, they weren't new. :D (Wasn't a lie--they were used.)

ultumax likes this.