EPI 150 Series 2/3 Speakers?

janikphoto

Lunatic Member
I picked up some 150's that need some work... I'll be ordering new foam and rebuilding the plastic bases that are cracked with wood. I need to replace at least one of the socks, but it makes sense to just do both, so they match. Here's my question... has anyone actually heard these before? They don't look all that impressive under the socks. Basic three-way with cheap-ish drivers. Who has a pair?

epi-150-3.jpg

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-150-3.htm

Very strange that no part #'s are listed for the drivers. First time I've seen that. Not a mention of a 2" tweeter in the price list. Strange.

I have a set of 120c's, with a 10" woofer and the double gold ring inverted tweeter. They have a very full sound. Good bass, and a pretty nice overall balanced sound output.

I would like very much for some pics with the sock off, if possible. I would like to see if the woofer is the same as I have in the 120's. What does the mid and tweeter look like?

I'll post pics soon... I just measured for surrounds and will be emailing Rcobb shortly. I'll find someone who has a serger to sew new socks. The speakers aren't impressive. Two inch paper cone tweeters, not the awesome inverted tweeters. The miss don't look impressive, either. Of course, Toby drivers look like crap, but their speakers sound great. So, I'm hoping for something like that...

harman kardon I belive, harman international. I think they took over evertything epi by then

Last edited:
this is from the human speakers website under epi history. I belive that that speaker was made under that label.

As the years went by, even though the speakers were still good, there was a more "corporate" look and feel to the product lines. This culminated in the early nineties when home entertainment giant Harman International bought the trademark and the remaining inventory, tucking them into an office next to JBL in Woodbridge, NY. Harman built several inexpensive speakers with the EPI label, which I believe have been discontinued at this point.

1016342_10151972642282817_2142351807_n.jpg

1798544_10151972642457817_909257852_n.jpg

1901258_10151972642597817_1757536967_n.jpg

You can see the speakers are cheap. I haven't looked at the crossover yet. The dark grey base under the epi logo is cheap plastic that chips and cracks. It'll be replaced with some oak painted black. The socks look easy enough to sew a new set, I just need someone who has a serger. I might run a router around the edge of the woofer cutout. It might be nice to have that bevelled or rounded over. I could also cut and attach an oak top plate, making new socks much easier to make and maybe classing up the cabinets a bit. Thoughts?

Hey janik. Thanks for the nudies.

You're right. Not impressive at all. I like the shape of the boxes, but those look like "have I got a deal for you" surplus drivers. At least they made an effort to time-align them. The only way to find out how they sound is to foam and give them a try.

After the rebuild, let us know what you think.

Thanks Again.

I wonder how they would work with putting in the epi inverted dome and a good midrange that would fit the specs needed. like maybe the mid's from the epi 500 speakers. add some internal bracing since there probley isn't any.

I wonder how they would work with putting in the epi inverted dome and a good midrange that would fit the specs needed. like maybe the mid's from the epi 500 speakers. add some internal bracing since there probley isn't any.

I wondered about a vintage EPI dome, as well. I really should've picked up those cheap Genesis speakers at GW when I saw them. I could've used those tweeters in this project.

So, here's my plan... I am going to buy some new grill cloth - looks like Parts Express is the best value at approx $8 per linear yard - and recover them. I'm going to cut an oak top plate for them, like the DCM Time Frames. This way, I can wrap them in cloth and just sew one seam up the back. It'll also make the tope look nicer than they do now. I am cutting new oak bases, since the plastic bases are chipped. I'll re-foam the woofers and look at the crossovers for any repairs or upgrade possibilities. We'll see what happens when they are all finished.

EPI 150/Series 2

I realize this thread is over a year old, but I just had to bump it up. I have a pair of EPI 150/Series 2 and EPI A500 as well. I just refoamed the 150 woofers and when I A/B these 2 pairs, I honestly think the 150s sound a little better. Sure the A500s have more bass but that's not always a good thing. The 150s just sparkle with highs and the mids are clearer on most vocals. I like both, but the 150s are not as bad as you might think. Give 'em a good Marantz 22xx and let me know how they sound.

I have a pair of these 150 Series 3 speakers and I have been putting 100 watts per speaker thru them out of a Pioneer VSX-D608 surround sound unit and I rock them hard all the time. I have been since I acquired them in 1998. They are connected as part of an A/B speaker configuration, paired with a pair of MTX speakers. I run it as stereo from my computer and not as surround sound. I have a Logitech subwoofer that runs straight off the computer and not thru the surround unit. The 100 watts is not split into 50 watts per side as a normal stereo. Each speaker on each channel gets it's own 100 watts. Clean digital sound that will shake my whole living room (10 x 10 Second floor). I blew a midrange speaker once. I found a radio shack micro stereo in the garbage with little slide off speakers (plastic). When I got the speaker home it was the exact same thing as the midrange speaker in the EPIs. It has been rocking on as the replacement speaker ever since about 1999. I love my 150s. I removed the cloth and painted the cabinets with a dark grey "hammer paint" and painted the faces flat black. I also removed the wood ring around the bottom. It highlights it's own built in base that the speaker sits up off of. Have a nice day, all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom