EPI: The Harman Years...

atrac

EPI: The Harman Years?

I just found a pair of epi 120 series 3 speakers at a Thrift Store for $30. I was all excited when I saw the "EPI" logo on the grill, but a little less excited when I saw "A Harman International Company" on the inner label.

Have I basically bought a pair of Infinity or JBL speakers, not really related to original EPI designs/specs?

I have not had a chance to hook them up, but considering they are in great condition (the surrounds are fine), I think I got a good deal...but my hunch is not a "great" deal.

Any thoughts on these?

Thanks!

http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-120-3.htm

Last edited:
I have a pair bought for the same price. I was quite happy with the sound, they're probably going to end up as my front HT speakers.

EPI History

You're correct - in short the EPI history is as follows: EPI was founded by Winslow Burhoe in 1967 (departing from AR after much work on the AR 4ax).Basically he felt the market would purchase a 2 way that was accurate ( flat response) and developed the first "inverted dome" which became the Air Spring tweeter and paired it with an 8" Long throw woofer and a 1st Order crossover ( 10uF capacitor) and marketed it as "the module" ( EPI 100). Success was achieved and excellent reviews from Consumer Reports put EPI on the map. As with most companies, Burhoe left in the mid 70's to pursue another venture and EPI was growing but needed cash in order to grow to the next level. Enter Penril Corporation which bought EPI and produced the 1.0, 2.0 and the "high end" 3.0. At this point they also moved the factory from Water Street/Charles Street in Newburyport MA to Hale Street to increase capacity. The next major change of hands was as the economy began to decline and the Audio industry hit a slump and more speaker companies entered the market, EPI's sales softened and in came Harmon International to buy the brand name. At this point, as Harmon took over( Penril is now happy) they changed the product line and aimed it at the mass market and utilized manufacturing efficiencies (ie no longer making drivers on site) and purchasing from the far east, thus producing a line of speakers that at best where efficient, loud and boomy. The game was over. EPI was no longer a speaker line for the audio enthusiast sold through specialty retail and Hi Fi shops but a mass market item. Harmon closed the Hale Street location and operated out of NY until the name meant nothing in the audio market. So as you see, you are correct in being disappointed as EPI was changed with the purchase by Harmon. Look for speakers from EPI from about 1970 - 1981 for the best performing units

Ray (aka MrPajamas)

I have a pair bought for the same price. I was quite happy with the sound, they're probably going to end up as my front HT speakers.

Though I can't claim to have actually been to happy with the sound of my "Harman" EPI 120 speakers, they weren't horrible, and I did the same thing as Sam and used them as my front channel speakers for Home Theatre. Well for awhile anyway. When something better came along, I gave them to a friend for her HT setup.

I really like my Epi A120 as my HT mains. They are smooth, full ranged, articulate, dig deep, have a clear top end and integrate very well with the rest of my gear. They replaced my JBL 4410s - I feel that the Epis are better suited for this task.

I got a set of M100 in line to get refoamed this winter. Great shape, wood cabinets look pretty.
Guess I can't say anything else till they're makin' music.

I'd disagree -- the HK EPIs didn't sound like the classic EPIs, but that's not neccessarily a bad thing. The EPI sound was one of the better attempts at a reasonably priced full range speaker, but it was by no means perfect. My experience of the HK EPI 2 was of a much more articulate and wider range speaker, and also one with more attention paid to aesthetics. You can do a lot with multiples of a 2 way module, but you can't fake a midrange. And as good as the airspring tweeter is, I'm not sure that I'd claim it was better than the one in the 2. And I think the 2s woofer was noticeably superior (in addition their being two of them, one in acoustic suspension and the other ported, an unusual but effective combination).
I bought mine to restore and resell, and I liked them more than the ADS L1590s which followed them. That seems to me to be fairly high praise.

Egads! I've hooked them up and both tweeters and mid-ranges are dead. D-E-A-D. :(

I tested them sans crossovers and they don't produce any sound.

Ah well, the woofers and crossovers are still good. I guess I could buy some replacement midranges and tweeters. I really wasn't looking to put any more money into these than sticker price, but I guess that's the nature of being a thrifter. ;)

Back
Top Bottom