Epicure 202 Setup

shacky

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Fixed the loose surround with Aleene's. As recommended here best orientation for these double sided driver speakers is to have the second set of drivers facing out toward the side walls.

Just put them in this config and put on LA Woman. Never heard Riders of the Storm sound so good in my own house :banana: Have some more work to do - I have them upside down now so I can hook up speaker wires on top - have to figure out how to get them right side up with stands - may have to drill hole in stand for wire to go through.

2 of the grill covers are too warped to fit nicely. Any suggestions for straightening out warped grills? The fabric is still nice on these so I'd prefer not having to recreate the wheel.

Here they are with Homer's 201's still on the inside.

IMGP0687.jpg

Make yourself a set of stand shims/risers to give the wires some room,
You could just cut some strips of 3/4" plywood to lay on the edges of the stands and that should work just fine.
Then again, maybe you should try them on the ground with the plywood shims as feet??? I think they were designed for floor use.

I don't think they want to be too far off the floor. Maybe 8" or less (the diameter of one woofer). I'd think they could get some nice feet to keep the connections off the floor. I also suspect that they don't want free air under the cabs. So maybe a box with some room for the cords and small setback from the cab edge to give a nice shadow line?

out of curiosity...what stands are those?

They are VTI 13" Center Speaker stands. I got them on slae online a couple of years ago. First got them for Dynaco A25's. Then when I fixed up pair of AR 2AX's they just sounded nice at this hieght even thow it looks a bit high. Put's tweeter at right hieght.

Actually the EPI's sound very nice on them as well. They are metal, and I use blue tack and spikes. Plenty of bass even this high off floor though I wouldn't want to raise them any more.

I may be able to drill hole in plate - it's pretty wide as it's designed for center channell speaker. The tripple tubes leave room in middle if I go that route.

Very Sweet!:thmbsp:

Did you get that Nikko stuff yet?:scratch2:

He never called me though he said he would. I wanted to go see them today.

Same with the other pair of 201's. I'm not sure that guy really wants to sell them. And since the 202's are tunring out very nice indeed, I'm not sure I want to plunk down another C note right now.

Thanks again for putting me onto that guy from Craigslist. I ended up getting the 202's for $30. Since they had a woofer rattling, I got him down from $40. :D

i took a look at those stands...a nice deal indeed at around $50 bucks.

i have been wanting to elevate my JBL L40's, since they just don't sound "right" on the ground.

i played around sitting them on various things like boxes, etc. and it dramatically improved the sound to me.

a small stand im sure would be best, not to mention professional looking.

i took a look at those stands...a nice deal indeed at around $50 bucks.

I fell in same trap. $50 is for one stand! Because it is a "center" channell stand in the line. But after I got it I liked the wider base and figured the return shipping plus what I already paid made it worth ordering second instead of returning.

So while not as cheap as they appear, they are nice for larger speakers with their wide top plate.

well, even at $100 for the pair it's not awful...

i'm just looking to ease the bass up a little. sometimes my JBL's are overpowering...and i'm hoping by raising them up a bit it alleviates some of the issue while at the same time raising the tweeter closer to ear level.

i actually made templates for the original JBL wood stands...but wood is damn expensive! i wanted to use solid wood, but it looks like laminated ply is my only choice to keep them under $50 for the pair.

Lookin' good! I never had any experience with EPI/Genesis until a few months ago, but now I have 3 pair altogether, some not refurbed yet. It might be fun to experiment with all those drivers in custom cabs. :yes:

Then again, maybe you should try them on the ground with the plywood shims as feet??? I think they were designed for floor use.

You are the man! I put them on the hardwood floor and difference is significant. Would still have to use womthing - spikes or wood like you suggested - to give room for speaker wires.

I did keep some blue tack between speaker and floor.

Actually a low stand that would give a little tilt up may be perfect.

I normally listen with loudness on. But found that loudness drowned out the EPI's. Putting them on floor with a littel bass boost allows the mids to come shining through.

Loudness contour Amplifies the EPI's already slight suck out of midrange.

I see some Lovan stands that are 6". But they are $140. Not much out there for low stands.

Back
Top Bottom