Epicure 3.0 build

bonzoro

Swill Bucket
Subscriber
Just started to put together a set of Epicure 3.0 clones.... I know, I know but I have been looking for a set for a long time and decided to take the Dimensions off of Huw's website and he'll provide the drivers. Anyway, my cabinet friend cut the cab's out and I'm in the process of building the crossovers which will follow the schematic of the originals minus the Attenuator assembly. My 20's have the attenuator assemblies and I don't use them so I will skip that portion. I also decided to go with Huw's set without the tweeter module and instead use the inverted tweeters which I had Huw (Human Speakers) rebuild. I also have my Cornscala's which I am doing also. BUSY BUSY BUSY.. More to follow. Thanks

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Very interesting! I've always wanted to hear a set of 3.0, but they're rare as hen's teeth!

I've always thought that a 3-way speaker would do better justice to that great tweeter than the 2-way designs.

I think they should compliment my Epicure 20+ nicely. I just need to sell one set to pay for the new drivers for the set I'm building. Have not decided what to do for finish. I have veneered some others but maybe piano black?? ?????

Epicure 20+ is my 3rd favorite EPI model, with 400+ being #2 and 1000 being #1. (I have all three). I'm interested to hear how the 3.0 compares to your 20+. I expect them to sound completely different. The only EPI 3 way I've ever had was the 500. I didn't like them and sold them quickly.

you gonna use wellnuts to secure the drivers to the cabinet. epicure 3.0 origninally had rubber wellnuts to secure the drivers, to help isolate the drivers to the cab.

I have a set of battered Epicure Model 20's, and I LOVE them.

Simple, clean and enjoyable speakers.

This project looks too cool, wishing you the best. And are you selling one of your pair of 20+'s??

cant tell from the photo does your build include the rounded cab edges. looks like they are cornerd off. the whole design of the 3.0 was to reduce reflection and the rounded edges was suppose to help with that.

Interesting build. I like the 3.0 sound. Your boxes look more like JBL 250s with the vertical side and angled side but that might just be the way they were photographed. A worthy build for sure.

Last edited:
These follow the original drawing, truncated. The angle they were shot at makes them look like the JBL but they are just like the original. The corners will be rounded off by the time I get done with them. I will update as I Make progress. ONWARDJAMES, I am selling a set of Epicure 20's along with a Kenwood super eleven. I got them listed together on the fleabay right now. I got the price set a little high but you can look at them there. Thanks to all.

I gotta find the correct well nuts too. Trying to follow as close to the 3.0 as possible. What size well nuts did you use?

3.0 Finish work

A couple fresh pics during the fill prime and paint stage. Gonna see how a gloss black finish looks. If I don't like it, I'll do the veneer job.. We'll see. I'm waiting on HUW to send my drivers. Finished the crossovers, just gotta figure out how I'll mount them.

:scratch2:

Attachments

• Finish 3.0 001.jpg
    Finish 3.0 001.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 108
  • Finish 3.0 003.jpg
    Finish 3.0 003.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 132
  • Finish 3.0 004.jpg
    Finish 3.0 004.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 146
I remember when they were introduced. I heard a pair at the local stereo shop. They were very nice to the ears. I almost bought a set. Keep the pictures coming.

Don

A couple fresh pics during the fill prime and paint stage. Gonna see how a gloss black finish looks. If I don't like it, I'll do the veneer job.. We'll see. I'm waiting on HUW to send my drivers. Finished the crossovers, just gotta figure out how I'll mount them.

:scratch2:
Very cool. Imitation, the sincerest form of flattery.

Very nice indeed!

I'll be watching this thread with anticipation, and I bet you can't wait to hear them!

3.0 finishing

Well, I didn't like how my paint came out so I sanded them down and started to refinish them. I hand sanded (the finish sanding) with 800 grit to get the smooth. I realized I will not get them perfect like a professional Piano Black job so I will get them as nice as I can and they should be more than presentable when I get done with them. Anyway, Here are a couple more pics, one is ready for a final rubdown and final coat (gonna have a little orange peel but so do many new paint jobs on cars). I do thank my fellow AKers for the interest and support.

Attachments

• IMG_20150427_062041061.jpg
    IMG_20150427_062041061.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20150427_062046390.jpg
    IMG_20150427_062046390.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20150427_062114771.jpg
    IMG_20150427_062114771.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20150427_062101672.jpg
    IMG_20150427_062101672.jpg