1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Equipment Acquisitions Influenced By AK Membership

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by musichal, Jun 13, 2018.

1. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

I find with most people who come over the conversation is short on gear and long on music and record titles.

Ds2000, stish and musichal like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. macgolf

macgolf Beethoven 2004 - 2018 Subscriber

Mt latest aquisition a pair of EV Aristocrats, only a 5 minute drive away. Without the collective knowledge here on AK, they would not have received any consideration. The after purchase support has been outstanding too.

musichal likes this.
  3. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Swear to it on a stack of bibles:angel:

dcmfan likes this.
  4. dshoaf

dshoaf That high voltage buzz Subscriber

The most value I've gotten from AK is the links and friendships I've made. I am fortunate to have made great connections in the North Carolina area and out here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I've also found I enjoy helping the guys who don't mind taking the top off old gear and seeing what's inside. Those that really want to learn how it works are always my pals.

Cheers,

David

nj pheonix, musichal and 4-2-7 like this.
  5. OutlawSun

OutlawSun Active Member

In reflection most of my transactions at this point involve at least giving audiokarma a look if it's something I'm not familiar with but have an interest in to gauge opinions.

musichal likes this.
  6. Dave B.

Dave B. AK Subscriber Subscriber

AK's CT Jim swept me back to my early 1970s Dynaco glory days, when he sold me the meticulously upgraded Dyna ST-120 and PAT-4 he lovingly rebuilt. Every time I hear the 120 go "Boing-g-g-g" when I turn it on, I'm flooded with audio nostalgia! :beerchug:

Dave

7. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

In many ways AK reminds me of the days on the old MusicToyz Gear & Pedals forum. Just a bunch of like-minded guys and some gals who loved guitars, amps, gear and enabling each other. One of the best things to come out of this was the Pedal Box. Where each member would contribute a pedal until there was a bunch of them and then send it along the agreed upon route. It was a great way to try out things we might not have gotten a chance to and help each other out. Not really something you can do with audio gear but the same sentiment, underpinnings, good will and helpfulness is apparent at AK. It's one of the very few places that no matter ones bent, views, age, status, etc. you will not only meet and get to know great folk but be exposed to, and in my case now that most of my buying is done, live vicariously through the purchases of others. While being able to help out those in need, giving advice and benefiting from the knowledge and good will of others here. That all said - - I really should never have started hanging out at the McIntosh forum. But am so glad I did. As is the wife who enjoys music and a good sound system as much as I do. Thank you all many, many times over.

4-2-7, musichal and Bdbras84 like this.
  8. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

Wow a memory trigger. It’s exactly what my garage sale find 120 did so long ago.

musichal likes this.
  9. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I never ran into anything that good at a garage sale. Nice find. You still using that amp?

10. Ds2000

Ds2000 All About every cool stereo component. Subscriber

I was a teen, and I had (quite luckily) a fellow hifi buddy of the same age. So we constantly traded our cheaply found gear, and that was one of the things I gave up.
    I do still have the Marantz Imperial 5G speakers which I am going to franken deluxe at some point. They’re the only thing I have left of my early hifi hobby days.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    musichal likes this.
  11. grillebilly

grillebilly Empty Head Subscriber

I look for equipment reviews here before buying anything new. Used speaker recommendations are also highly regarded.
    Lastly I went for the MC452 over the 352 just because of the reviews here.

Roadrash and musichal like this.

12. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Smart Ass Sponsor Subscriber

Yeah we'll help you spend some good money in the mac forum..:p

musichal likes this.
  13. musichal

musichal poet emeritus Subscriber

I may one day regret buying Levinson over McIntosh... hope not.

14. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Your purchase and reports of your 452 is having a very negative effect on me:yikes:
    Man, I want one of thoseo_O:eek2:

grillebilly and musichal like this.