Equipment List

MikE

Color Me Gone
I realize this event is still in it's early stages but I'm curious what equipment will be at the event. I'm most interested in High-Efficiency speakers. Especially something like a VOTT or Klipsch Cornwall. Luther asked me to bring up the Moth, which isn't a problem at all. It travels very well! I should have the polypropylene psu cap installed by then, which as I understand is a significant upgrade. MikE

Great thread - I'll have:

Shanling T-100 CDP
Wardsweb's 2A3 stereo amp
maybe my Bottlehead Paramours

Sorry but my VOTT's are a bit much for traveling. Although some local guys will have some stuff - La Scala's come to mind.

I'm still not clear if there is a set date...or not. Are you going to be able to bring equipment and set it up in your hotel room?

I'm still unclear about the whole thing.

Finalizing the contract, but looks like 7 banquet type rooms on the first floor of a hotel.

Well, my stuff here is mainly vintage and speaker heavy. I'd love to bring over my La Scalas and have someone's tubes drive them. I've never heard them here aside from in the driveway and understand I may be missing something significant. I'm already secretly plotting on how to fit them in my basement. :D

More common items I could bring would be EPI 100s, JBL 4311 monitors, Dynaco A25s, and Small Advents. If I get them refoamed I could also bring some Boston Acoustics A70s or 60s (I forget which ones they are), Large Advents (maybe four to do the Stacked Advent array), the EPI 500s, the ESS AMTs, and IMF monitors.

I know a lot of these are old standbys and fairly common, but I'm sure some folks may be interested in what they sound like. I'm a townie for this, so it's only a 30 minute round trip to go and get something if someone wants to hear it.

:D

I could probably bring my $52.11 full range speakers and my VOTTs (cabinets to be determined).

I will most likely bring whatever vintage amps that I happen to have in the shop for rebuilds that I have done(with the owners permission of coarse) Of my own gear I will be bringing the following

Dynaco Mark III's that I have highly modified great amps !
Mapletree Audio design Ultra 4A preamp
Scott 130 Preamp
Klipsch Lascala's
Klipsch Heresy's (maybe)
Musci Hall MMF7 turntable
Sony C333ES SACD player
I could have some friends in the area bring Cornwalls and Chorus speakers also.

I'm hoping to have a set of very versatile amps I have been developing ready for prime time to debut at this little event. I may even offer them for sale at a great price at the event only. I'm thinking of naming them a NOS Valves TRD amps. Can anyone guess what TRD stands for ? Who ever brings the answer to the event first gets half off the labor charge for a vintage rebuild or whatever else they have me do for them we will call it a $75 value !

Craig

Last edited:
CORNWALLS!

Craig, I'd love to hear the Cornwalls! Are they the older model 1's w/Alinco magnets? I've heard some incredible things about them with SETs. That of all the Klipsch, they are way preferred with low power amps. The Klipschhorns have they're fans also. The La Scala's have mixed reviews. I'd like to check out both, but the Cornwall especially. Thanks Man, I'll have to buy you a beer or two! They are on my short list of "must audition" speaker systems.

MikE

If you read all the reviews every speaker Klipsch or other wise all have mixed reviews !! On th klispch forum I have never heard anyone selling there Khorn or Lascalas to go back to Cornwall's unless it was a size or placement issue. Never a sound issue.

I will see what I can do with the Cornwall though. No gaurantee's since I do not own them. If you want to hear them with SET your going to have to bring the amps but your more then welcome to hook them up. I'm not a SET guy so to speak. I really haven't went down the road yet but you never know though. I try to never say never LOL !!

Craig

Last edited:
grump...you've got a PM.

What would ya think about throwing me in the "refreshment" room?

equipment list:

Amplifier: Cary 300se monos for the mid and tweeter. IRD mb100 SS amps driving the woofers.

Preamplifier: Bent Audio NOH

Speakers: DIY speakers. JBL 2441 with 500Hz EdgarHorn Salad Bowls for mids, Fane 5022 tweeter, and a TAD 1601a 15" woofer in a sealed cabinet. Sensitivty of the midhorn/tweet - 107db / Woofer - 95db (ish)

CD Player/DAC: Philips SACD1000,

Thanks Craig, my limited understanding that ALL Klipsch speakers are extremely dependant on amplification to sound "right". Or to present a degree of "SET Magic" people speak of. And like most tube amps, the SET+Klipsch marriage is one where fine-tuning is critical. This includes the speaker drivers, cross-over, wiring, room and of course partnering components. Most experienced enthusiasts I've spoken with speak highly of the Cornwalls hooked up to quality low power value amps. That they will sound drastically different with indifferent mega SS watts. Naturally, audio is very much a subjective disipline. YMMV and all that. No disrepect intended, just commenting on what many Klipsch owner's experience. Seeing that I'm building my system around my SET, the Cornwalls are good candiates to break into the starting lineup.

MikE

Speakers: DIY JBL 2441 with 500Hz EdgarHorns

Yeah! I'd also love to hear my amp with those. I got a taste of Bruce's Edgarhorns and was blown away. Most realistic sound I've ever heard. Though, I had a nagging feeling if this was "the sound" I was after, seeing that my system has a very different presentation. This is something I've gone 'round-n-round with the SET+Hi-Eff guru's. That I'm only playing with myself keeping my 93db dynamic speakers strapped to my 45 amp. That I'm only scratching the surface of it's potential. Perhaps they're right, but only the Edgarhorns has delivered the promise they speak of. And even with those great speakers I wonder if they would satisfy long term. Who knows, but this would certainly add another reference to compare.

MikE

Dang, I sure would like to hear gonefishin's speakers! My next
big purchase will be 500hz Edgarhorns. Best I've ever heard.
I will run them on top of my C34 horn cabinets/130A and a pair
of 2405's I have out in the garage. That would be real sweet with my "Randall DRD" amps.

Carl

I can bring any of my Mc gear that might be required :)

Or I can bring my SX-1010 and blow up most of the speakers in attendance ;)

Re: Speakers: DIY JBL 2441 with 500Hz EdgarHorns

Originally posted by MikE
Yeah! I'd also love to hear my amp with those. I got a taste of Bruce's Edgarhorns and was blown away. Most realistic sound I've ever heard. Though, I had a nagging feeling if this was "the sound" I was after, seeing that my system has a very different presentation. This is something I've gone 'round-n-round with the SET+Hi-Eff guru's. That I'm only playing with myself keeping my 93db dynamic speakers strapped to my 45 amp. That I'm only scratching the surface of it's potential. Perhaps they're right, but only the Edgarhorns has delivered the promise they speak of. And even with those great speakers I wonder if they would satisfy long term. Who knows, but this would certainly add another reference to compare.

MikE

Well...you should get to find out.

The strange thing about my speakers, is that they're rather uneventful. Don't get me wrong...I think they sound great. But you don't listen to them and think what great lows it produces...or that the speakers have a great midrange or the best highs that you've ever heard. None of that. Nothing at all (to me) gets noticed much on them...they just seem to play the music in a clean, clear non-distorted way. :dunno:

That would be real sweet with my "Randall DRD" amps.

Carl

Yes it would!

Should be fun! hey grump...I was probably going to come in the night before...could we set up the night before it starts? that would sure help.

thanks!

We don't get the rooms until 8 the next morning, but you can setup in my room. :D

Because this is a one-day-only event, I probably won't be bringing a huge chunk of my shop. However, the following items are virtually guaranteed:

1) Almarro tube amps and loudspeakers.

2) Cain & Cain loudspeakers.

3) Lector CD players.

4) Yamamoto Sound Craft tube amps, tube preamps, and tube headphone amps.

As can be seen, I am leaning heavily towards my shop's newest acquisitions. However, I am willing to take requests...

Cheers,
Brian
Venus Hi-Fi
www.venushifi.com

Back
Top Bottom