Equipment tune up -- McIntosh Labratory or Audio Classics?

ChrisinTX

I have a McIntosh amp/preamp setup from the early 90's that will probably need some maintenance done on them soon. Both units sound fantastic and there's nothing wrong with them except I think they may be due for a recap soon. I also think the meters may need to be tested and calibrated for accuracy.

Terry DeWick upgraded another Mc amp I have. Although his work is superb, I really don't feel like being without my equipment for several months waiting for repair.

So with that said, which business would you recommend for tuning up Mc equipment? Audio Classics or McIntosh Labratory?

McIntosh probably has the greatest backlog of all and will likely be the most expensive. Might consider the Cornell Smith a/k/a The Audio Doctor in AZ since you're in TX. Always heard good things about their work.

http://www.audiodoctor.biz/

I thought McIntosh would have been quicker. The guy in the link you sent looks reputable, though. I'll give him a call. Thanks!

Depending on the models you didn't list I could go many different ways. Plus it depends on the issues of each particular item. I have had great luck with Steve and Ryan and unless it was a device where Steve said only the factory had the parts and the best expertise I would send it to him at Audio Classics. Now big heavy amps I would look around for some body close by or an extended vacation trip after the snow goes way in Vestal, NY.

twiii, I've got an MC150 and a C40. I am uncomfortable shipping these units and would gladly consider driving them to Arizona from north Texas if I have to, which is where I live. I did make a couple of round trips down to Bjorn's in San Antonio with the preamp to have a problem with the internal monitor amp fixed; I was pleased with the work that was done. I can't remember the technician's name, but he's been repairing Mc's for about 30 years. I don't believe he specializes in recaps though. I'm also wondering if an audio path upgrade can be done on the MC150, like Mr. DeWick did on my MC754.

I have time to think about what I'm going to do. I won't be making any trips until sometime next year.

Back
Top Bottom