Erratic behavior from Yamaha CDX-820

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Budward, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Budward

Budward New Member

I have a CDX-820 that I bought new in the mid to late 1980s. Haven't played it for probably 10 years now. I just plugged it in and connected it to my desktop Tivoli system for a test drive.

When you put a CD in the tray and hit the open/close button, it reads the CD and gets the total time and number of tracks, as expected.

Then, hitting "play" gives one of two results. Either there's no music, just a repetitive popping noise, like an LP tracking out after the last song. Or, it's like it's on fast forward, snatching quick samples of each track.

When it was new, you could put a CD in the tray, hit play, and it would close the tray, read the CD, and play it. My best recollection is that at some point, it started wanting you to hit the close button before hitting the play button. That's a long time ago, though.

Ideas for something to try, anyone?

2. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Yes, buy a new CD player. After 30 years, time for an upgrade.

3. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

There are a myriad of things that can cause problems in CD players, you can look up several troubleshooting threads. If you feel like trying something you could open it up and clean the rails the laser assembly travels on. The old grease can cause problems and you might be lucky. In the Yamahas it is as likely the motor spindle is worn out and the disc is wobbling as it spins, in which case there is not a lot you can do.

Those Yamahas were nice machines but I had some people coming back in a year or two complaining of skipping on that series, you did pretty well in comparison.

Budward likes this.
  4. Budward

Budward New Member

I've read the laser sticky and opened the case.
    1-I'm going to try to figure out how to get to the read head to clean it.
    I'll clean the rails while I'm there.
    Do you remember how to get to them?
    The tray is on top and it's not immediately obvious how to get under it.
    2-The door belt is slipping, so that was my first thing to fix.
    3-Watching the disc spin, it looks pretty true, no perceptible wobble.
    The unit really doesn't have a lot of time on it.
    Bought it in 88 or 89, used it lightly til about 03, then parked it.
    4-When the tray is open, you can see another belt, sort of under the tray mechanism.
    Wondering what this one does. Guess I'll replace it just to be sure.

5. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Sorry, can't give details on getting into that one. Good luck, should not be too hard to fix up.