Error in the SX-1050 protection circuit (AWM-090)

Imanoldee

Hi, I have been lurking for some time on the AK forums.
I have learned quite a lot about audio repair over the last couple of years.
My thanks to all the audio repair and restorers on the AK forums for their great posts.
Recently I found out I could join the discussions without paying the annual fees.
Silly me, I once tried to join and thought the fee was a requirement to join the discussions, so I backed out of the process.

As a bit of an intro I am an old EE, as you may figure out from my AK user name Imanoldee.
I have been restoring and re-capping old audio gear for sometime now.
Recently, I found an error in the SX-1050 protection circuit (AWM-090) that I have not seen discussed before.
While looking at the circuit it struck me that R25, a 2.4k ¼ Watt resistor, had a large voltage drop across it and the resistor value seemed low for that, since it was only a ¼ watt rated resistor.
So I ran a quick set of calculations.

The schematic shows a voltage drop of (60v-33.5v) = 26.5v across that 2.4k resistor.
The current through that resistor would be I=V/R or 26.5v/2400 = 11mA.
Using one of the equations for power, in this case, P= V*I then the power through that 2.4k is 26.5v*11mA = 292mW!
Or you can use this equation for power as well.
P = (V*V)/R which gives you the same 292mW.

I checked how hot this resistor was on one of the SX-1050’s had restored and re-capped.
First I turned on the SX-1050 and let it warm up a minute or two, then I simply put my finger on the R25 resistor in question.
It was very hot, as I would expect if it was dissipating 292mW, on a 250mW rated resistor.
I then pulled the resistor lead and measured it, the meter showed it was indeed 2.4k.
FYI, the band colors showed a 2.4k value as well.
I then checked the other SX-1050 unit I have yet to restore, and it too was uses a 2.4k resistor.
Needless to say I bought some 2.4k, ½ Watt resistors the next time I had an order to Mouser, and switched out the under wattage resistors from the protection circuit.

This seems to be a double error. When I look at the schematic the value shown is 2.4k, on the foil image it is also shown as 2.4k, however on the parts list for the AWM-090 it shows a value of 3.4k (RD ¼ PS342J) which would be a 1/4 watt resistor per their coding scheme.
So, either the original design called out a 3.4k that was later changed to 2.4k or the designers missed 2 errors, the more critical to me would be the power handling of the 2.4k.
The second error would be the parts list showing 3.4k.
A bit of speculation would be that if the original value had been 3.4k then a ¼ watt resistor would have been ok since the current through a 3.4k would be 7.79mA and the power through a 3.4k resistor would be 206mW, if the voltage drop stayed the same at 26.5v.
A bit high in my mind but still well within the 250mW rating.

To my mind putting 292mW through a 250mW rated resistor is asking for problems over time.
The resistor may be able to handle it, but it would be cooking,so why push it.

NICE CATCH!! I guess we (i) would have looked at it harder had it drawn attention to itself by either cooking the board badly or having a higher failure rate. Then again I have a few SX-1050's waiting in a row here, for detailed restoration attention and I might have been drawn to dark spots on the protection board once I was wading through them.

I tend to go with your 3.4k thinking at 7.8mA and 206 mW, since the circuits draw so little current - the major draw in there is the zener doing the regulating.

Comparing to the 1250 for 35v rail current draw is no help because the 1250 uses a 24v relay coil (r20 220 ohms 1 watt soaks up 10 volts of so of the 35v rail there) running off the 35v rail and that's extra 38mA right there. The huge steps in load would explain their use of a transistor regulator in it.

One of my first posts on AK and I get a praise from Mark the Fixer.
I appreciate the kind words.
Your posts throughout the years have been very helpful to me in my restorations.
Thank you Mark.

I would remind anyone who wants to switch out the 2.4k 1/4W for a 2.4 1/2W to keep the new resistor off the board by at least 1/4 inch or so, to allow the heat to travel up and away from the board.
Lucky this protection board has the components facing up when the receiver is in its normal position.

I am in the midst of an SX-1050 right now, I will switch it to a 1W wirewound, not because it needs to be that robust, just cause I want to. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom