Ess amt 1b

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Johnlw7, Aug 9, 2009.

1. SleeperSupra

SleeperSupra Well-Known Member

The driver on the back looks like the bextrene woofer that is supposed to be on the front. Could this be a four way conversion? Does the 12" woofer have a magnet? The drivers on the front look similar to those in some JSE Infinite Slope speakers my father once had.

2. Kayo8

Kayo8 New Member

SS, I'm picking these bad boys up on Sunday. I thought the same about the woofer as it's not the traditional flat or paper cone passive. I'll dig into them next week to see what we have and will post the pics I get. So very interested to hear them and see how everything was done. It's a roll of the dice, but for the price and high/known integrity of the seller ("these are fantastic sounding speakers"), I'm very comfortable with the adventure. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. I'll begin a new thread, "AMT 1b+", to keep everyone informed without all the history.

automojo and SleeperSupra like this.
  3. Porkloin

Porkloin Oscar Heil Groupie Subscriber

I had assumed passive radiator as ESS is selling what pretty much looks like a speaker, minus the magnet and voice coil, as a passive radiator, along with the standard flat passive radiators. I don't know how the hell they sell it as it's nearly four times the price of a flat passive. I hope the pics of the inside appear soon.

PassiveRadiator2.JPG PassiveRadiator.JPG

SleeperSupra likes this.
  4. Kayo8

Kayo8 New Member

I decided to leave the guts alone on the 1b++. There's a lot going on in there and I don't understand enough of it myself to trust anyone else to get into them. Yup, it's a 4-way, all cones seem to be "bextrene" or a similar material. Very happy with the sound, full and detailed. I've increased the distance from the back wall to 16" and that's eliminated some of the boominess. My son says the Klipsch Fortes sound like there's a blanket over them in comparison. Been doing some work on cosmetics, w orking hard on the veneer. They've sucked up a lot of oil and grain is finally beginning to pop. I added some stabilizing brackets to the grill frames and opted for a clean, contemporary cloth. I'm going to keep working the veneer daily with Liquid Gold and Watco using a synthetic 0000 pad. They're developing a deep, rich sheen using both oils. I only have one badge so the hunt is on for a second match. Pls let me know if you have a source. Time to enjoy some Chuck Loeb, but I thought you might want to see my progress.

IMG_2559.JPG IMG_2561.JPG IMG_2577.JPG IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2608.JPG

5. Porkloin

Great job. Those black grills are an elegant look.

6. Kayo8

Kayo8 New Member

Thx. There are some dead spots in the brilliance and midrange adjusters. Can I take the easy route and spray some Deox in the dial and slowly rotate it to break up the corrosion or do I need to get inside?

7. Porkloin

Personally, the few times I've used DeOxit, it's never worked for me. Fortunately, they were 8 ohm L-Pads, which are plentiful and cheap. Give it a try. What's the worst that could happen?
    I hope this is the beginning of a long and happy relationship with a pair of Air Motion Transformers. To me (and many others), they are the reference tweeter that sets the standard to this day. I have other speakers in the house that reach higher, but none of them feel as "liquid" ("airy" is an often used description) as the great Heil in the upper midrange/lower tweeter region. The nuance and detail they reveal in recordings moves you a little closer to the performance.
    You've got the added bonus of some brainbox somewhere correcting the shortcomings of ESS -PLUS- they're turning out to be lookers that will be a great conversation piece in your listening area.
    I hope you become an AMT evangelist and proudly whip out the photos at the slightest provocation.

8. Kayo8

Kayo8 New Member

Thx PL. I'll give it a shot. As for AMT evangelism, I'm there. Couldn't agree with you more. I loved 'em 40 years ago and I'm happy to have found one area in which my memory hasn't failed me. They're certainly becoming lookers, and I was very fortunate to find some classic beauties with some well engineered modifications. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while! Best wishes!

9. gonzomeep

gonzomeep Super Member

I've owned many pair of these wonderful AMT1X series speakers. Try some big Yamaha M series amps for power and if you have $, try at least an M80 paired with a C65, 70, 85 or 1000 preamp. I've owned most of the big AMT's ,along with the bookshelf models. Give the stock config. a good long listen. I believe that given their so-called weaknesses, you will actually experience an un-earthly musical, airy, most enjoyable speaker. Best regards, Steve G. ak ess6.jpg ak ess2.jpg ak amt3.JPG ESSAMT1am gonzomeep.jpg ESSAMT1am gonzomeep.jpg Ak rosewood.jpg

MarZutra, GD70 and Ds2000 like this.
  10. gonzomeep

gonzomeep Super Member

Oh, superb job on the grilles, total PITA! Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. KUDOS. 1D grille2.jpg Camel 1D 01.jpg Camel -1D.jpg

MarZutra likes this.
  11. Kayo8

Kayo8 New Member

Thx Steve. Quite a collection you have. Beautiful! Don't know if you saw but mine are 4-ways. Some mad scientist did his thing in 1986 and made them into super 1b's. Did a good job I'm told. Sound amazing, and so efficient. Pushing with my little Primaluna tube amp @ 45wpc. Getting all I need and it's not even close to breathing hard. With the right cloth, glue and process, grills weren't nearly the challenge I thought they'd be. And oh, that AMT sound! The ESS prove that like some of us, quality old stuff can add a lot of pleasure to life! Best wishes!

12. essNeff

essNeff Active Member

They turned out fantastic!
    I feel like I've been transported back to the '70's when I gaze at them.
    Nice work!

13. Kayo8

Kayo8 New Member

Thx Neff. Very happy with them. Leaving the guts alone for now and just enjoying that "clear as light" sound. Crystal clear with all genres. The Klipsch are taking a break.

14. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Magnificent work! Makes me want a pair!

15. Kayo8

Kayo8 New Member

Thx GD. Haven't heard them in 40+ years. Rolled the dice and got lucky. Hope you find a pair. Worth the wait!

16. Porkloin

Maybe the ESS guys need a membership patch.

HeilsAngels.gif

GD70 likes this.
  17. Porkloin

The ESS 3-way club would be exclusive to the point of having to merge with Transar club just so we could use the carpool lane.

18. automojo

automojo OurBandCouldBeYourLife Subscriber

Love those 3 way B's!! Looks like a Audex mid. Nice!! Excellent job on the grills. Nice to see a new/old member of the Great Heil Club!! Keep those awesome speakers from being cannibalized!!.

19. MarZutra

MarZutra Addicted Member

Fabulous Job guys! Kudos to both of you on the grills. Some of the toughest jobs I've had were making grills...LOL

20. automojo

automojo OurBandCouldBeYourLife Subscriber

Yep, the Mojotone grill cloth is exceptionally hard to deal with!