ESS AMT 3 Rock Monitor find, from original owner

I suppose a 3-way would be fine, but IMO ESS never put the time and money in the AMT-3 that they put into their 2-way, lower cost drivers and a more simple crossover, shoehorning the whole thing into the AMT Monitor enclosure, ... it is apparent to me that they never put the effort into it. The amount of modification that seems to be necessary to get the AMT-3 to work properly could as easily be put into the 2-way, if your efforts only yielded "aren't the most accurate speakers around", ...

I suppose a 3-way would be fine, but IMO ESS never put the time and money in the AMT-3 that they put into their 2-way, lower cost drivers and a more simple crossover, shoehorning the whole thing into the AMT Monitor enclosure, ... it is apparent to me that they never put the effort into it. The amount of modification that seems to be necessary to get the AMT-3 to work properly could as easily be put into the 2-way, if your efforts only yielded "aren't the most accurate speakers around", ...
Not sure I agree... I think they put a lot of time and effort into the four coil crossover...
In the end it wasn’t that efficient... and yes cost more money.
Nothing wrong with the 3 coil...the lack of matching bass output, for some, was the issue.
2 ways still lack the lower mid bass/ midrange detail of the 3-ways.
If you have a smaller woofer this isn’t an issue .
It is for large floorstanders, with large woofers.
You could have a few smaller woofers/ muds crossed at different points as well.
No one was really doing this in the early 70’s.
Speaker design and technology is worlds above what was available back then..

Auto what do you mean by the lack of matching bass output? Between the 2 woofers in one speaker?

Also, do you know if there is a better version of the AMT-3 crossover I could build at some point?

The ESS Monitor has a fairly complex crossover for a 2-way, so if crossover development is the measure, ... and I feel that there have been 2-way speakers through the years that will absolutely cover the entire spectrum, the JBL M2 for example, many of the best speakers in the world have been 2-way.

The AMT Monitor is set up with a decent crossover design, if you don't like that then it is also set up with external terminals to both drivers to externally crossover or bi-amp, so the concern is that the original woofer isn't fast enough? If so which one? Seems that replacing the woofer is much less work than you've put into your AMT-3s.

ESS crossover New2 (2).jpg

The thing that you can't get around with any passive crossover, times 2 in the AMT-3 is phase distortion which affects many things negatively. The higher the order the worse the phase shift at crossover point.

With your mods on the 3 you have basically saved (but modified) the cabinet, and kept the Heil, everything else is replaced?

I was a 3-way fan for most of my life until I started to work in filter design. There are and always will be fans of full-range speakers, 2-way, 3-way, x-way, line-array, ribbons and electrostats, cones and domes, I have examples of most of these in my home or at least have had. There is pretty much a trade-off to each design and many of them are designed to a market (3-way speakers have traditionally been more accepted to be higher-end speakers for example) and I believe that was the case with the AMT-3. Whether you like Rick's direction with 2-way doesn't really matter, you seem to talk him down pretty regularly, the fact is that 3-way isn't better than 2-way, just a different way to skin the same cat with its own tradeoffs.

Show us what you can do with a pair of ESS AMT Monitors next.

Last edited:
Automojo really like what you've done with the crossover. I also know you have changed your bass drivers. And Porkloin has done extensive cabinet mods and woofer changes to his 3's. My hat is off to you tinkerers. You put in alot more effort than I am willing to do. I just hope the OP enjoys his 3's when he gets them done.
My final pair of ESS speakers , a pair of Monitors will hopefully arrive next week from Duluth. I will mod them slightly, but that will be a different thread.

Not sure I agree... I think they put a lot of time and effort into the four coil crossover...
In the end it wasn’t that efficient... and yes cost more money.
Nothing wrong with the 3 coil...the lack of matching bass output, for some, was the issue.
2 ways still lack the lower mid bass/ midrange detail of the 3-ways.
If you have a smaller woofer this isn’t an issue .
It is for large floorstanders, with large woofers.
You could have a few smaller woofers/ muds crossed at different points as well.
No one was really doing this in the early 70’s.
Speaker design and technology is worlds above what was available back then..

Is the whole complex crossover thing the play-pen of the habitual tinkerers otherwise known as audiophiles? Who's to say we wouldn't be better of with 1st order crossovers if the drivers were designed for such a thing? In our attempts to design the ultimate passive crossover, don't we invite the colorizing that come with the addition of caps and coils?
Do I need to get off of my ass and do some bi/tri-amping and stop thinking about this?

Automojo really like what you've done with the crossover. I also know you have changed your bass drivers. And Porkloin has done extensive cabinet mods and woofer changes to his 3's. My hat is off to you tinkerers. You put in alot more effort than I am willing to do. I just hope the OP enjoys his 3's when he gets them done.
My final pair of ESS speakers , a pair of Monitors will hopefully arrive next week from Duluth. I will mod them slightly, but that will be a different thread.
Awesome
Don’t slide off the road or go over a bridge!!
Yep.. I hope the OP will be happy with his speakers!!

The ESS Monitor has a fairly complex crossover for a 2-way, so if crossover development is the measure, ... and I feel that there have been 2-way speakers through the years that will absolutely cover the entire spectrum, the JBL M2 for example, many of the best speakers in the world have been 2-way.

The AMT Monitor is set up with a decent crossover design, if you don't like that then it is also set up with external terminals to both drivers to externally crossover or bi-amp, so the concern is that the original woofer isn't fast enough? If so which one? Seems that replacing the woofer is much less work than you've put into your AMT-3s.

View attachment 1419612

The thing that you can't get around with any passive crossover, times 2 in the AMT-3 is phase distortion which affects many things negatively. The higher the order the worse the phase shift at crossover point.

With your mods on the 3 you have basically saved (but modified) the cabinet, and kept the Heil, everything else is replaced?

I was a 3-way fan for most of my life until I started to work in filter design. There are and always will be fans of full-range speakers, 2-way, 3-way, x-way, line-array, ribbons and electrostats, cones and domes, I have examples of most of these in my home or at least have had. There is pretty much a trade-off to each design and many of them are designed to a market (3-way speakers have traditionally been more accepted to be higher-end speakers for example) and I believe that was the case with the AMT-3. Whether you like Rick's direction with 2-way doesn't really matter, you seem to talk him down pretty regularly, the fact is that 3-way isn't better than 2-way, just a different way to skin the same cat with its own tradeoffs.

Both pairs of AMT 3's are using original AMT3 foam mids, and Great Heils. One pair had a recapped stock crossover-the other a complete new hardwire crossover. All have bracing mods lined walls and fiberglass damping. Different woofers in a sealed enclosure. The db output of the replacement woofers, including room gain is more on par with the Heil, and mid. It's a lower distortion design, better transient response, and can handle power better with out distortion/compression. I.E. play at louder volumes then the stock woofers without distorting. It's a noticeable improvement in bass/upper bass detail MHO-others as well they have heard most of my mods over the years.
I understand phase shift. And the advantages of electronic crossovers (and the disadvantage of additional equipment). FIY-the AMT3 mid is run opposite phase of the AMT, and woofers.
In a ideal world, speakers would have internal amps, specialized in driving their complimentary drivers.
The AMT is a wide range driver-but not so much in the lower range. Conversely larger cones, located near the floor aren't the most ideal for lower midbass/mids. As many have noticed with the 2ways, there is a lack of detail in this region. For some music, frankly it's not a big deal, or even a blessing for compressed rock music, for example.
My musical taste are all over the place-so I want a speaker that has a nice, even, detailed and musical response in my listening room, with all types of program material. The 2 ways didn't cut it for me. The AMT3's did, except for the bass. That's in part is what started the Mojo mods.
And I'm very happy with the end result, phase shift errors and all. One of the most enjoyable and musical speakers I have heard over the years. And the ability to project that same quality from my living room to the rest of the floor, and even part of the basement, still blows my mind.
Which is 'better'? 2-way, 3-way?
IMHO what ever works for you.
But a close side by side listen to a AMT3, and 2 way monitor, or AMT-you can clearly hear what you missing with the 2-ways. There is no doubt about that, and it's been fairly well documented here over the years by others. So I will let you, and other be the judge-I'm stating my opinions.
As far as Ricky-same deal. I have a pile of very old emails, from a member here that used to work for Ricky-and even taking out his personal ego, I am just passing on both our opinions. He has a library full of ESS/Great Heil/Oskar Heil/RIcky knowledge. And as I mentioned in the past-he seems content rehashing old designs, with little improvement.
What ever-he runs his business-I have been in business myself 25 years. I get it. But just a side by side listen to a 2 way monitor, and AMT3-you understand pretty quickly- that there is some information missing with the 2-way. Better, worse, again your choice, his as well. Just stating my opinion.
Sure, the ideal 2 way, would be as Oskar Heil intended-a small woofer very close to the AMT, a slimmer more modest cabinet.
ESS went a different route, with large woofers and big cabs. THE AMT3 was a attempt to eliminate the lack of detail in the crossover region, the "the disconnect' have you, many have mentioned, of big woofer Great Heil speakers.
IMHO it worked very well.
And I could live with the stock AMT3's, (not so much the 2-ways)-but I wanted something a little different-hence the mods.
Thanks!

Oskar Heil Aulos.jpg

Last edited:
Just in the brief time I've enoyed the Great Heil on my Heathkit "Valencias" I can tell its a special driver.
If I had more time I'd dabble further - but I dedicate a certain number of hours a week to simply listening to music -
and between that and a fulltime job - tinkering doesn't enter into it as much as I should.

But I do enjoy the sound!

PS - I run my speakers with the Jolida 502CRC amp - nice combo!

Last edited:
Just in the brief time I've enoyed the Great Heil on my Heathkit "Valencias" I can tell its a special driver.
If I had more time I'd dabble further - but I dedicate a certain number of hours a week to simply listening to music -
and between that and a fulltime job - tinkering doesn't enter into it as much as I should.

But I do enjoy the sound!
Yes!
Yes-thanks to Ricky new ones are a bargain right now! Pretty cool to see how others have used it in different ways.
Maybe they aren't the most 'accurate" driver out there, but they are in enough ways to sound damn good!!

Auto what do you mean by the lack of matching bass output? Between the 2 woofers in one speaker?

Also, do you know if there is a better version of the AMT-3 crossover I could build at some point?
Light is a better term. You need to find out for yourself-fix 'em and give a good long listen. Your crossover is just fine-recap and enjoy!
Some people get hung up on the inherit inefficiencies of passive crossovers. IMHO it's akin to NOS, vs Delta Sigma. You can look, decipher, etc.-the end result-the sound is what is important.
The 3 coil is more efficient then the 4 coil. The 8 resistor woofer Zobel absorbs a lot of power.
Sorry for the rambling.
You have a fine pair of well kept AMT3's-a rare find. Follow your goals as stated with these. You may very well be happy with them stock. Or stock with minor tweeking.
Or, and this is just a thought. If once you have refoamed the woofers, and find the bass, for example need just a bit of help. Seriously consider demoing a Jolida Fox SSX-this may be all you need to add a little low end weight.
It also gives you the ability to add extra air to the Heil.
A truly amazing device, and worth demoing for the return shipping charges.
Music Direct offers them, and no hassle return, demo.

Last edited:
Foz for Jim Fosgate ..,,
Its a $400 black box

I like my restored AMT1 Towers and plan on keeping them but being honest, for my ear they are missing some mid-range. I'm guessing I'd appreciate that mid-range driver in the 3's in the OP. I haven't compared my AMTs to much but people would be surprised what I compared them to and like better. I don't want to say what those are because once you do that, prices go out da roof! ...will divulge in a PM though if anybody is curious.

View attachment 1419612

This would be true if drivers responded completely in phase and behaved as purely resistive loads. But they don't. Speakers that made phase coherence the top priority were a fad that passed. It turns out it's important, but not at the expense of flat response, sensitivity, and dispersion. Response and dispersion are big problems for first order designs.

I like my restored AMT1 Towers and plan on keeping them but being honest, for my ear they are missing some mid-range. I'm guessing I'd appreciate that mid-range driver in the 3's in the OP. I haven't compared my AMTs to much but people would be surprised what I compared them to and like better. I don't want to say what those are because once you do that, prices go out da roof! ...will divulge in a PM though if anybody is curious.

I’m curious.

You need a wedgie!!!

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...ooth-out-and-wont-be-such-a-dip.855392/page-3

DSC_0006_2_.JPG

Back
Top Bottom