1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

ESS Transar rebuild thread

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by 13stoploss, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Porkloin

Porkloin Oscar Heil Groupie

We're all going to be disappointed if you don't go out and pour enough liquor down Ricardo that he divulges every technical secret ESS has kept locked in a vault for the past 30 years.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Porkloin

When you're in California, drop this hint:

AMT3Nuevo.jpg "AMT3 Nuevo"

13stoploss likes this.
  3. essNeff

essNeff Active Member

With or without wine?

4. 13stoploss

13stoploss Active Member

Those are the newer Model 2. The vertical "low frequency" driver had four units instead of the five in my earlier model. There's some other minor changes, too.

I haven't tackled the sub issue for mine. The interesting thing about adding a sub is that I'll need something that can cross over at 150hz. This isn't impossible to find, but it is a good deal higher than many economy subs on the market right now. Long term, I'd love to acquire/make/buy the dual 3-driver dipole subs that Ricky uses in his ESS demo unit: [​IMG]

5. essNeff

essNeff Active Member

6. Porkloin

EssNeff's solution is probably a little more pragmatic than dipole subwoofers. The common thread to dipole woof is a lot of cone area, be it the stacked versions like the Hurricanes in the PE project gallery (8 woofers per side) or the Surreal Sound Fifth Row (6 woofers per side) or every other open baffle project (2 15" woofers). Translation: $$$$
    Maybe you can get a bit of the dipole action going using the drivers in a push-pull configuration like the
    subwoofers. "Outword pointing" driver up front, "inward pointing" driver out the back. They both fire "outward" simultaneously in relation to the enclosure due to the reversal of polarity on one of the drivers, and so pretty much operate like a standard sealed dual driver subwoofer, with the bonus of the distortions associated with cone direction movement cancelling each other out. The only challenge would be designing a case with a woofer hanging out the back that didn't look like it was haphazardly thrown together in junior high woodshop.

011013mk_0.jpg 011013mk_0.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

7. 13stoploss

13stoploss Active Member

I'm legit excited and hopeful that my Transar will be operating in July 2017.

Leben likes this.
  8. essNeff

essNeff Active Member

Glad to see this project back on the rails.
    It give's the rest of us a chance to live vicariously through YOUR wallet!
    Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Porkloin

Words of a pragmatic audiophile. A reasonable alternative to compulsively lapping up every thrift store turd that catches one's eye.
    I only wished that 13 lived on the left coast so I could practice a bit of "pragmatism" and swing by for a listen.

10. 13stoploss

13stoploss Active Member

Ha, it's not exactly like that. I've invested about as much as the going rate on a pair of used AMT Monitors, certainly less than the going on a pair of AMT-3. :p

We'll be packing up to move back home to California this time next year. We're just about done with the east coast and are eagerly watching my service-time clock click down...

11. 13stoploss

13stoploss Active Member

In other news, I bought a new Emotiva 10" BasX subwoofer to play low frequencies up to 150hz, which is the lower limit of the Transar "low-freq" AMT.

I've also had to buy new insert thread-mount screws for what the vertical Transar AMT mounts into. But I'm also contacting local metal fabricators to make me some mounts. I need both AMT mount brackets for the top, and I need two vertical mount strips for the right speaker.

Aside from that, my AMT-1a grilles shipped on Thursday from ESS. When I talked to Ricky, he said he'd find me a Transar I crossover, but I haven't confirmed. I do have a beat on crossover from someone who found this thread, but he said he's having health issues and that it's in his garage somewhere and he has to find it. So, things are moving in the right direction, just need patience. :/

12. 13stoploss

13stoploss Active Member

This will hopefully be answered soon. What we know now--and not then--is that the 5-pin XLR only uses four pins, and two of them are pass through for high frequencies, and one of them is a shield and one is unused.

Yes, the Transar II/ATD can use different subwoofer. IIRC, the documents I have show that Transar/ATD plays at either as low as 85hz or 95 hz. I forget. It is a passive and bi-amped crossover.

Waiting, waiting, waiting. :)

13. 13stoploss

13stoploss Active Member

Look what I just found! Anyone know and can translate Italian? I bet there's so much info in here that we just don't know and need to know. Plus, some useful pictures of the mounting brackets I don't have.

14. 13stoploss

13stoploss Active Member

Found this interesting prototype news:

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-84-1232.html

15. 13stoploss

13stoploss Active Member

Next: need to reach out to Albert Von Schweikert!

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.audio.opinion/BjXoBY-_PPE[26-50]

Searched him and found Von Schweikert Audio: https://www.vonschweikert.com/designer-bio-c1hom

16. essNeff

essNeff Active Member

Thanks for the info!
    Very interesting history.
    I have hoped you would have had a better opportunity to "reinvigorate" your Transar's than these communications seem to indicate.

17. Porkloin

Short of laying hands on an OEM crossover/amp, I think the only way Jason is going to get those Transars up and running is with one of those fancy speaker management systems, like a DBX Driverack, or, I dunno, a Behringer DCX2496? Do you know anything about those? The wide range of adjustments on those things would be the only way one could one-up the original equipment, but it would involve a lot of tweaking and listening time, unless one were to use the auto room correction functionality that I believe that they both have.

18. 13stoploss

13stoploss Active Member

Well, I'm finally making some progress on the little things, and maybe some progress on the one big thing. Yes, it's been two years this month since I purchased these sight unseen'ish.

Earlier this week, with help from my crafty father-in-law, we affixed and epoxied new inset screws into the Transar front baffle. Some of them were stripped when the previous owner mounted the Transar driver into the baffle with aluminum screws.

With the inset screws in, we next had to fabricate two of the silver mounting strips that help attach the Transar driver to the baffle. We went to the local Ace, got some 36"x3/4"x1/8" aluminum, and cut the pieces to fit, then measured and drilled the mounting holes.

Next, we had to figure out how the four brackets were used to seat the Transar driver's voice coil magnet assembly, when secured to the baffle. Of four, there are two pairs that are different: two for the fronts and two for the rears.

Lastly, we had to fabricate brackets to hold the dangling AMT. These aluminum brackets are silvery, for now, but I'll paint them black later. And get black screws, too. (the picture doesn't show the fabricated brackets, just the aluminum L-bracket we used)

Next is the big thing. I don't want to jinx myself, and it's a really great story that I hope to eventually share, but I've found someone friendly who has one (and no set of speakers to attach them to). Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, some pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

20. Porkloin

By "the big thing" and "someone who has one," I assume that you're referring to the amp/crossover

13stoploss likes this.