Essence Amethyst 10a reference Speakers Dale Pitcher

Edroom

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Anybody ever heard of these? Are they any good? Any idea on value?
I would appreciate any scraps of information at all!

I'm guessing they're mono-blocks? If they are they're newer than my bluebook is but WOW.........Essence makes some very nice (expensive) gear. Way beyond my pay grade. Good luck to you Ed.

Sorry, I didn't even state they are speakers....
I believe they were built around 1998 - 2000

I have owned these speakers for over 20 years, the most important feature presuming they are in working order is to have the time alignment charts so they can be properly set up, they originally come with a protractor accurate to the 1/64th of an inch. and the chart is then based on ear height from the floor, and distance from ear to the middle of the top of the bass cavity. Dale has told me in some ways they are still better than his more modern day summit speakers produced as intuitive design. They were in the 15K range back in the early 1990s, at full price, I've no idea of their current value. I suspect many like myself left the speaker market once they got spoiled by these speakers.

I have Dale's Intuitive Design Gamma Summits. I've not heard his Essence line, but I don't think Dale is capable of building a bad speaker. The Gamma Summits are special and I have no doubt the Amethyst 10a is anything short of spectacular. The last pair I've seen for sale were listed at $5k and it's the same guy I bought my Gamma Summits from. Perhaps the same guy @baco99 knows (Boston area)? Here's a short blurb from Dale's website:

"The Amethyst 10 series of speakers spanned a 17 year production cycle and three generations. The concepts pioneered in it's design are still not being fully implemented by other manufacturers. These include transducer mass-loading, vibrational isolation and adjustable time launch. In our view, properly set up,the Reference 10A is still one of the best speakers ever made."

Last edited:
Edroom,
Do you still have the Amethyst 10A's? I just acquired a pair of 10A Reference speakers from an estate sale. I am curious about your experience with these unorthodox speakers.

Wow, has it really been 5 years with the same speakers! Spending this Snowmagedon day listening to the 10a speakers vs. the Concert Grands. The Amethyst 10A Reference are still my main speakers although the CG’ s are no slouches either. Still not even looking anymore after all the different pairs I cycled threw here in the past…definitely my end game speakers! I talked with Jeff in CA back in 2018, he flipped the pair he got…..If you are the one who bought em send me a pm!
Here’s the pics you asked for!

Attachments

• E60FC8EB-5095-45B6-A3E6-A9FEC8E0CE04.jpeg
    E60FC8EB-5095-45B6-A3E6-A9FEC8E0CE04.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 25
  • EE320C67-0830-4266-91E9-52B9CBD7B1B9.jpeg
    EE320C67-0830-4266-91E9-52B9CBD7B1B9.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 24
  • F93042C1-AD73-4A29-A1D2-3073017B7339.jpeg
    F93042C1-AD73-4A29-A1D2-3073017B7339.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 22
Thanks, it's always nice when someone posts images of "obscure" speakers.
Might even help someone in the future.

Back
Top Bottom