Estate system pick up.

kjack48230

Hello all, I've been looking for high end equipment from estate sales recently but have had no real luck until this past weekend.

I missed out on a few items a few weeks ago when I was talking to the person running the estate sale. I was on my way when someone beat me to the punch. The guy took pitty on me and told me he'll let me know if he runs across another opportunity. That came this past week.

He called me and told me he was going to have an estate sale next weekend but would let me in this past weekend to see if I'd be interested in the equipment. What was available was the following Mcintosh equipment:

A pair of ML 2M's in Excellent condition but the mids had the surrounds rotting away.
MQ 104 Equalizer in near mint condition.
MC 2200 power amp in near mint with original box and manuals.
MR 77 receiver in near mint condition with original box, brackets and manuals.
C 28 preamp in near mint condition with original box, brackets and manuals.
SCR2 speaker control relay in near mint condition.
ELAC Miracord 50H turntable in Excellent condition but will need work to function.

The whole package ran me $1500. Need to find out where to send the mids to get refoamed. Everything else works fine although the volume poti on the preamp will need to be cleaned, a lot of static when adjusting. Not a bad haul! Will upload pictures soon.

You scored and it was nice of that estate sales guy to let you have first pick.

Last edited:
If the mids are gone the woofers probably not far behind. Just be sure you get McIntosh surrounds. good price even if you have a few repairs

Finding local is easiest. I live in DFW use Freeman-tuel speaker and chose recones for my XRT20s. They source from original Mcintosh suppliers. Audio classics does exchanges. Mids are not too tough to align.
@onwardjames just did mids and woofers himself in his XRT20s thread.

YUP YUP!! The mids on my speakers were VERY thin, so I proceeded slowly, also using Aleene's Quick Dry tacky glue really helped.

As for those woofers, should be a snap. Did I shim? Nahh. Used a combination of the 30 hz tone and a full 10 hz to 100 sweep. Seemed to work well.

Be PATIENT. Also, I've yet to find a tool as adept at removing old foam as my fingernail from the woofer cone.

Also, I marked where the original UP was on the woofers when I pulled them with a Sharpie, being sure to invert should time have sagged the baskets some. It did seem they were just a tad bit saggy, only a little.

Congratulations. Sounds like a great McIntosh system for a great price.

As to the speakers, I would remove the drivers and ship them out to Audio Classics. Unless you have prior experience refoaming speakers, this is not the time to practice IMO. Chances are all the other units will need some level refurbishment/restoration so be forewarned that you'll probably be spending almost much having everything gone through as what you paid for the system to begin with. In the end, it'll be well worth it.

Good luck.

The speakers are getting a little long in the tooth. When you pull the mids for repair you might check the crossovers. If they have the Yellow capacitors and none of the load resistors have changed color you are probably ok, If the crossover has the black caps or if any of the load resistors show signs of over heating the crossover should be pulled and rebuilt, too. The crossover is located behind the removable back panel as I remember. I agree that Audio Classics is your best bet for repairs.

Well, I finally got the system back from the shop. These guys are great, did a thorough cleaning and repaired anything suspect. The receiver was thought to have a burned out light on the indicator but it was so dirty that it didn't shine through.

Everything looks as if new! As for the sound, OMG! Since the Mac speakers are currently out of commission until the surrounds are replaced I've got it playing through my restored Infinity Q5's.

Playing Steely Dan "Aja" in honor of the late Walter Becker who passed away this past Saturday. You can pick out all of the fine details from the keys on the piano to the gentle taps of the cymbals. It helps when you're playing an MFSL copy. Next up, Supertramp "Crimes of the Century", also MFSL. Just amazing is all I can say. Going to switch speakers tomorrow night and play with the Klipsch KG4 that also have been restored and upgraded crossovers and titanium tweeters.

Now for the pics.

Attachments

• 15046652672931412738259.jpg
    15046652672931412738259.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 15046653113151780079045.jpg
    15046653113151780079045.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 1504665357817569926249.jpg
    1504665357817569926249.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 1504665389805895198313.jpg
    1504665389805895198313.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 70
Yeah, the gear looks really nice! So, how's the MC2200 stack up sound wise vs that big Levinson (333?)?

Back
Top Bottom