Ethernet cables - now I'm a believer

Cat 6 and 6a were created to address specific advancements, namely increased bandwidth (10Gb) and all the things that need to happen to use that bandwidth reliably. If the system is working no amount of cable swapping is going to make any difference in regards to ethernet frames being delivered across the wire, i.e. using 6a for a 100/1000Mb link will offer no improvement.
Yep, agreed.

The cost difference between, say, Cat5 and Cat6 is the extra wire. The strands of an Ethernet cable are twisted more tightly in the better grades of cables, which results in the higher bandwidth (due to common mode rejection). Shielding can help even more. I don't need gigabit Ethernet in my home, but I still have it wired that way just for future-proofing.

I replaced all the cheapo hdmi and ethernet cables the just came with the components, with the recommended Blue Jeans cables to limit signal dropping.
Then my wife and I, and my girlfriend were watching a few of our regular shows, and my wife asked why the picture was clearer. So apparently a good quality set of cables can even improve the picture a bit. I would not have thot that.
(Just kidding about the girlfriend, btw).

Yep awillia6, that was the clincher for me that maybe there actually was a difference. If it was me ... well a lotta times if the brain wants to see it, thats what the eyes see. Like after an oil change and car wash, I'd swear the car runs better.
My wife is not (self-admittedly) overly observant, so it was quite something for her to notice it just like that.

I do agree with JP tho regarding upgrades to wires that exceed ones system/network/source capabilities.
I was replacing the cheapest, crap wires that are given away for free with cheap electronic stuff.

Dave

Last edited:
I just set up a new networked AVR in a basement for secondary viewing. I may have to order A length of BJ. Cable to use from my router to the AVR.

this thread has made curious. Even if I don’t have a drop out issue

@kbuzz
Thats where I was too, except I was having some dropout issues. A lot of people don't attribute that to the cables, but when I was reading stuff on the BJC site, I realized that was probably the cause. The clearer picture was a bonus.
I did the router to android box (Cat 6a Ethernet), and android box to TV. (HDMI series-FE).
I'm not a big believer in high-end IC and speaker cables, but I don't sh** on them either. Some day I'll test the waters with a used set. So, I was definitely surprised by the data cables.
I like Nelson Pass's take. He says in his owners manuals, "We don't have any specific recommendations on connecting cables, other than, they should not cost more than the amplifier."
I like his dry sense of humour.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom