Ethical/legal question. Opinions welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What has happened to ethics and morals? Not long ago this would not even be a question.

Because the phone was "stuck" Bestbuy shipped another phone in good faith and good customer service. Then the second phone arrived. Do you not owe Bestbuy the same consideration they gave you? Whether or not you can legally keep it should not apply. You did, in fact, order it when you reported the first phone not arriving. Without a doubt, you should contact them and offer to return it.

Thanks for all the responses.

I think the ethics get a little murky when the party on the losing end is a giant Fortune 500 company selling mostly products made by low wage factory workers. I mean, if you saw a well off looking person drop a penny, would you go out of your way to track them down and return it to them?

But nevertheless, as I said previously, I plan to contact them and ask what they want me to do.

By contacting them and allowing them to abandon the phone to you, there is a small chance phone will remain unlocked and usable.

"I think the ethics get a little murky when the party on the losing end is a giant Fortune 500 company"

I guess that logic makes it ok to steal from Wal-Mart? My wife would get mad at me for pointing out we had Pepsi on the bottom shelf of our grocery cart. Sure our grocery bill was $3000 / month and they made plenty of money off of our family, but her logic was "it was the clerks job to notice it" and if so she paid, if not..........

She did most of the shopping, I was working, but when I went we paid for our Pepsi lol, I had no control over her actions when I wasn't there.

I sure loved her but boy she could be frustrating lol.

I think the ethics get a little murky when the party on the losing end is a giant Fortune 500 company selling mostly products made by low wage factory workers. I mean, if you saw a well off looking person drop a penny, would you go out of your way to track them down and return it to them?

But nevertheless, as I said previously, I plan to contact them and ask what they want me to do.
There's no shortage of murky ethics out there, that's for sure

I think the ethics get a little murky when the party on the losing end is a giant Fortune 500 company selling mostly products made by low wage factory workers.

.......who might not have a job at all if it wasn't for the Fortune 500 company.

I would email them and see if you get a response.

A lot of times they won't take it back anyways.

Ethical/legal question. Opinions welcome.

^^^This is a oxymoron

I think you already know what's right to do, but will you should be the question.

I think my first read on why we have this thread was right.

I don't understand....why would how big/small a company is determine an ethical or moral decision?
I also don't understand why this thread exists.
Oh well...

This reminds me of a recent trip to McDonald's within the last couple months. I was waiting for my food at the drive thru. They we're having issues and I could tell the attendant was having a rough day. He handed me my food and said "Have a nice day". I said "I didn't pay for it yet". He was so grateful for my honesty and said he would have gotten written up.

The food cost McDonald's less than a buck to make. I'm certain his job was really important to him.....

You haven't any obligation except to your own morality or ethics.

Anyhow, your OP asked what you should do?

Asking what others would do is a different question, although many might suggest you do as they would.

I am on the side of making a contact and asking for a "call tag" as has been described. At the root of it, you should be compensated for any effort made on your part. What your expectation for compensation is could be quite a question. Some people's time is extremely valuable and/or expensive. Outside of a five minute phone call and sticking a return label on the box, I don't think I would go any further.

Ok. Here's the story. A few weeks ago, we ordered a new phone for my wife. I got it through Best Buy, since their prices were much better than going through the At&t website. So, I placed the order, and it said the phone would arrive in about 4 days. I check the tracking now and then, and it says a label was created with Fedex. It stayed this way for about a week and a half past the original estimated arrival date.

I wasn't too concerned, but I called Best Buy just to see what was up. They said the order was "stuck" and that they would reship it. Sounds good, I say.

About 2 days later, it arrived. All good. I activated the phone, and now my wife is a happy camper.

Then, the next day, today, another package arrives, this time with UPS, from Best Buy. Inside, another phone. I assume this was the first shipment, which became "unstuck." Although how or why it switched to UPS, I'm not sure. Maybe this was actually the reshipped one?

Anyway, we now have another identical phone, and not a cheap one. (Galaxy S9)

What should I do here? My first thought was to just sit on it for a little while and see if Best Buy or At&t contact us about it.

One more detail, in the original order, which said it was shipping Fedex, said it need to be signed for. The first phone that arrived with Fedex, was just left at the door. The second one, with UPS had to be signed for.

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom