Etta James - at last

According to this page, the Rocks the House release was mastered by Kevin Gray at Coherent Audio, so maybe that's who's doing At Last. Given that they are talking about the four extra tracks on this RSD release, which are also on the remastered release, I wonder if this RSD release is going to have the same problem.

I just listened to At Last on Apple Music, and I heard what what you're talking about. Digging around a little, both Apple Music and Amazon Music show a copyright date of 1999 for At Last, which, according to Discogs, is when the remastered Chess CDs were released. Maybe versions before that release don't have that problem. I would be interested in hearing the 1987 reissue to see if it manifests on that one.

Alright, I did some more sleuthing. I listened to just about every version of "At Last" on Apple Music, paying attention to the line "a thrill to press my cheek to" at around 1:45. Nearly every one had the problem, including a 1993 release from UMG, which I think had merged with MCA, which if I'm not mistaken, had acquired the Chess catalog. I may be wrong on that stuff though. But it looks like it's on every release since at least 1993. The version on the soundtrack for My Best Friend's Girl actually sounded decent, but the problem was still there, just a little less pronounced. The same with the version on Heart & Soul: A Retrospective, also released by UMG. It was not present on a 1995 K-Tel version, but that was one of the worst sounding things I've ever heard otherwise. There were a couple of versions where it appears as though someone tried to fix the problem by basically removing the "p" sound altogether and hoping the listener doesn't notice.

Nearly every version I listened to was post 1999 though. And every one had the problem, including just random stuff I found on Youtube. Without an original to listen to, though, I have no way of knowing if it's been there since the music was originally recorded. Doesn't necessarily bode well for the upcoming release though. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
I actually tried to edit those in Vinyl studio but it took me about 30 mins to fix 2 songs and the fact that I knew where those anomalies were did not help me ignore the fact that I had edited it out. But it was worth a try thanks for all the info though! Fingers are crossed! I may have to save up and go on the hunt for an original release.

I actually tried to edit those in Vinyl studio but it took me about 30 mins to fix 2 songs and the fact that I knew where those anomalies were did not help me ignore the fact that I had edited it out. But it was worth a try thanks for all the info though! Fingers are crossed! I may have to save up and go on the hunt for an original release.

I looked for an original but could find only one, and it's not for me. Curiosity is killing me though, and I would like to at least hear one to see if it's been a problem from the beginning.

Well in searching for info on the anomalies for this record I came across the origanal At Last on spotify. And the anomalies are present there to. So it looks like it's going to be on every release as it must be on the original masters. So it looks like I'm going to have two copies that will not be good. Damn it Jim! :(

Just tried my ancient, noisy copy on Argo. It's hard to tell with the noise, but it sounds like there is a bit of weirdness on that "P." It sounds like a bit of breathiness that the microphone caught.

Just tried my ancient, noisy copy on Argo. It's hard to tell with the noise, but it sounds like there is a bit of weirdness on that "P." It sounds like a bit of breathiness that the microphone caught.
Yeah I think after hearing that original 60's LP on spotify that it was in the original masters. I'm just hoping that they do something different with this new release to make it less prominent. Thanks for the info Sam!

I just did an A/B with the RSD reissue (a very pretty marbled vinyl surface, BTW). The new version isn't cut as hot as the original, possibly to fit the four extra tracks, and they've taken steps to reduce those subsonic artifacts. They're more prominent in my ancient, noisy Argo pressing. In 1960, about the only things available that would have even come close to reproducing those noises were K-Horns, Bozak CGs, and some of the giant EV stuff.

At first I thought it was the sort of "windy" breathing noise that microphones sometimes picked up, but after running both side by side, I think it was coming from the microphone stand. It sounds a whole lot like a slightly jostled microphone.

Last edited:
Picked mine up today as well and I agree it's less prominent. Also I did a comparison with my 180 gram european copy and this one sounds clearer. And yes it is pretty so I'll re rip from this new version. I have a copy of Rocks The House on the way from Amazon. I'll just make me a nice Etta James playlist from all the best tracks I can as there is some good songs on that Chess collection. Thanks everyone for checking this out I believe it was in the original masters so it's there for good! :music:

Sorry to report that my CD copy is MIA... which is strange as I was thinking I had bought a duplicate along the way. :idea:

Sorry to report that my CD copy is MIA... which is strange as I was thinking I had bought a duplicate along the way. :idea:
Thanks for checking SPL! I think I can come up with a pretty good playlist from what I currently have!

This issue seems to get more pervasive. Streaming this album on Spotify, the B's and P's heavy thud or thump bass sound is very noticeable. I assume for those who has a subwoofer setup will hear this thump very clearly vs other's that do not have a subwoofer in their sound system. It's 2021 and if Spotify can't get a cleaner copy of this album then I guess, this may be the best it will get for us Etta James fan. It is so sad for such a historical recording that contains major sound recording flaws on this album.

If anyone ever find a clean copy of Etta James At Last! Please do share here on this post.

Arguably off topic, but ... any fans of her last album?

Etta_James_Dreamer.jpg

I picked up on The Dreamer mostly to fill out the collection, but it's become my favorite ... 73 years young and still a force. Album was released two months before her death after a long duel with leukemia ...

In fact ... time to go give it a spin.

Back
Top Bottom