EV 1502er for bass guitar

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by Al Rogers, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Al Rogers

Al Rogers New Member

some help please, I’ve acquired a pair of ev1502er cabs. Can these be modified for bass guitar? I was thinking of removing the horn and placing a 10 for mids & a 5 for hi’s. The 15’s are good and I have a 400 w x-over. Any suggestions?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. valvenator

valvenator curious bystander, serious procrastinator

Hi, welcome to AK. First post and in the Musical Instruments section...? That has to be a first first :)
    Have you tried the cabs as is? PA cabs pump a lot through their system including bass guitar.
    Maybe they might be good just as they are.

3. Al Rogers

Al Rogers New Member

Hey thanks, no I haven’t tried them as of yet. Didn’t know how the horn would sound with bass guitar but will try it as is first before a mod. Thanks for your reply.

4. arts

arts Super Member

Those are designed more for vocals and ''general'' sound reinforcement. They roll off really quick below about 60 cycles,and by 40 are doing virtually nothing.
    In other words,it'll be like playing through a Peavey. No tub,and no E String.....;)

5. Al Rogers

Al Rogers New Member

Thanks for your reply. I’ve since decided not to use them for bass. I’m now looking at 612 cab configuration instead. Never seen them with bass only guitar and those were Peavey. Comments anyone?

6. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

Are you looking at stuff on your local Craigslist or looking to buy something new?

If you're just getting started, I'd suggest buying something for the purpose.

What is your total budget?

I know we live in a bigger/better/faster/more world, but a single quality 1x15 or 4x10 cabinet with adequate power goes a long way and is likely to be more convenient to move than a 6x12. They next step up for many players would be either a single 4x10 + a 1x15 cab or even a 2x10 + the 1x15 or a 2x10 + a bass specific 1x12 cab.

Are you looking to play gigs or are you gigging now? For many setups, there are several advantages to having two more cabs. Sometimes in many settings, bandmates may have issues hearing other players at gig levels so it helps to have two more reasonable sized cabs vs one monster cab.

I don't have all the answers, just trying to throw some ideas out there.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

A 2x10 on top and 1x15 on the bottom is a killer combination and one I used for many years. cratz2 has a bunch of good suggestions and you have a number of options open to you. What's the rest of your setup, what bass guitar, etc., and what are you looking to do?

cratz2 likes this.
  8. arts

arts Super Member

Unless specifically rated for use in bass guitar applications, most 12 inch speakers (regardless of quantity used) die very quick deaths when subjected to the rumblestick.

A 6x12? Hope you've got a good back! My buddy used to have a Sunn 6x12 and it was ridiculous.Almost as bad as my 8x10 Ampegs:rolleyes:

Speakers have come a long way,and as Louisjames said,much smaller and lighter options are available today that totally toast the ''old-school'' stuff.

I think the biggest question should be what type of sound are you looking for and at what levels and in what situations.

Just as an example,these days most of my playing is through an old Ampeg B18 Portaflex; 60 watts through a single 18inch JBL.Go figure.....it's a long way from my days of an SVT with two 8x10 cabinets,lol!

cratz2 likes this.