EV Aristocrat score !

was wondering how do you get to the drivers from these Aristocrats.. do you remove the frame around the front of the speaker?

Yep, there are some angled screws on the bottom you have to remove then the grille frames slides off downwards.

I think I know where I can get a set of EV12l's - came out of a set of Fraziers. They are in perfect shape too. Let me know if interested. I am going over to my friends tomorrow. I'll bet I can get them for around $100, maybe a little less for the pair.

I think I know where I can get a set of EV12l's - came out of a set of Fraziers. They are in perfect shape too. Let me know if interested. I am going over to my friends tomorrow. I'll bet I can get them for around $100, maybe a little less for the pair.

Jcricket, You sure have luck finding lots of good speakers.

How did I miss this ???

Those would have worked nicely in the Aristocrats...

I love the way the Aristocrats look (when they're refinished or in minty shape). I dig those old furniture speakers. Even the trim on the grills looks great. Beautiful, refined speakers that will pretty-up most living rooms.

Last edited:
Electro-voice Aristocrat

Is that a University driver in the unit on the right ?
I just picked up an EV Aristocrat today and could use some help as to how I get the grill off so I can check it out to see if it's any good or not... I will decide on what to do with it when I get inside, I can already tell that the wiring is shot......................

I remember reading somewhere, that in the early days of stereo people thought it okay to have non-identical amps/speakers for one channel. For people up-converting from mono to stereo they may have decided to save a bit of cash, or not thought it important to match them. Occam's razor would suggest that they just smoked one of the EV's though...

Just thought I'd show you guys my aristocrat, It'll be for sale or trade if I don't find another.

Attachments

• IMG_20140727_194923320.jpg
    IMG_20140727_194923320.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20140727_195138621.jpg
    IMG_20140727_195138621.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20140727_195240031.jpg
    IMG_20140727_195240031.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20140727_195250451.jpg
    IMG_20140727_195250451.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20140727_195337513.jpg
    IMG_20140727_195337513.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 55
Damn it never fails. At some point they were moved/stored/neglected/abused by someone who had no idea what they had and did not take the time to protect the cabinets from damage. Seems the only time you find the old cabinets in pristine shape is when the seller is the original owner/builder or his wife selling them after his passing. I love the look of old stuff and think the aristocrat's are way up there on my list of really cool looking vintage cabinets. Nice score.

Last edited:
I have a pair of homebrew Aristocrat cabs my Dad(who was a great cabinetmaker) built back in the early 60s. He had them loaded with fisher drivers when he built them. I had a set of SP12s and T35s in them for a while before I got my Speakerlab K's. Its amazing the sound the Aristocrats compared to the Speakerlab K's. In my small listening room it's not as great as you would think. My son is thinking about taking them as I don't have a place for them and I hate to see them unused. JR:music::music:

Back
Top Bottom