EV Georgian crossover question

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by gtojon, Oct 3, 2017.

1. toxcrusadr

toxcrusadr AK Subscriber Subscriber

Put a meter on those controls and see what kind of resistance you get.

fishondwan likes this.
  2. gtojon

gtojon New Member

Yes the horns are definitely working, though muted and quieter than my other speaker. Thanks for the ideas.

3. gtojon

gtojon New Member

This makes sense, I will check out the threads for more info..

4. gtojon

gtojon New Member

Curious what everyone thinks. If I can get the speaker cranking like it should, would it make sense to change the X336 to the dual X325/X36 crossover combo? Would it make any difference?

5. sheltie dave

sheltie dave Addicted Member

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    fishondwan likes this.
  6. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

Thanks to Dave for the great references.

So, the only difference between the two crossover options is that the X336 offers a second-order (12dB/octave) slope on the high pass portion; the "combo" gives a first-order (6dB/octave) slope. All other points (crossover frequencies, impedances, etc.) are the same. Dave can correct me, but I doubt you would be able to hear a difference, but the tweeter would certainly like the 336 slope better simply because it attenuates the mid frequencies faster and prevents them from entering the tweeter.

But, it still has not been ascertained that either of the crossovers are bad. There are still all the connections to check for corrosion and the B&P pots to check and clean. Like Tox, I'm betting that the problem is going to be found in one or both of those areas. If not, and the process of elimination eventually points to the crossover, I would remove that "thermoplastic asphalt" potting material from the crossover and simply replace the capacitors.

All of this is very simple stuff - even for an uneducated dolt like me - but it takes a little time and persistence to iron out the problems that accumulate over fifty years. For me it's quite fun and educational - because I don't have to do it every day for a living. ;)

GeeDeeEmm

gtojon likes this.
  7. gtojon

gtojon New Member

I have some work cut out for me. I really appreciate all the info, and suggestions. These speakers, and system mean a lot to me and I want to keep it sounding as I remember it,

8. gdmoore28

gdmoore28 Super Member

Which GTOs do you like/own, Jon?

My favorite was the 1969 model. Had three of them, the last one was a frame-off, ground up restoration except for the paint.

GeeDeeEmm

gtojon likes this.
  9. gtojon

gtojon New Member

I've had a few including a '69. My first car was a '68. I currently have a '64 convert, and a '70 Judge. But no one here cares, let's talk vintage speakers! Lol.