EV Patrician IV Speaker repair

edswfs

I recently found and bought a EV Patrician IV for $500, beautiful shape with mahogany cabinet. I have come across a couple problems. The 18W woofer and the T350 tweeter horn make no sound, they are just dead. I have checked the speaker wires, X-over switch, tone controls, everything else works. What further checks can I run? Is it possible to fix the speakers? or are they boat anchors? I would like to keep everything original so as not to depreciate the value of this piece.

I would appreciate any help or link to EV speaker expert

Thanks much
Bill

Have you tried bypassing the crossovers and running a low level signal directly to the drivers?

I'd try.....

putting an ohm meter across the terminals of the speakers. disconnect the wires going to them and see if thye are giving you a reading, if not there is a problem with the driver. I'd say yes they can be fixed. There is a guy not far from here that can repair most anything. It may take some time to source the needed parts and may end up costing you a bit but if restoration is the goal then you may not have a choice. Whatever you do, don't trach the drivers until they are looked at by someone with some expertice in repairs.

I check both speakers with an ohm meter, both came up 0.0, I don't know if this is good or bad. but a connection internally is broken. The next step is to remove the speakers and get them repaired. Thanks to every one for their comments. I will keep posting my progress getting the speaker repaired.

Thanks
bill

Are you using a good meter?
I have one of those super cheap digital multimeters, it cost about ten bucks at a flea market. The thing does not measure anything below 20 ohms or so, it just shows a short when you measure a speaker. But fortunately, I still also have an old Simpson 460 that works. So I can see that most of the drivers that look shorted on the cheapie meter are actually 4 to 6 ohms.

Back
Top Bottom