EV Sentry 100a question

Their's is no where near what is called for
I tried theirs and sent them back
$28 bucks for generic open cell foam you can cut yourself, PLUS shipping
He'll be better off running them naked
It's two part #s with different densities
Old EV # 70604 for the big ring and 70534 for the small
187456d1398698860t-kudos-ev-sentry-100a-tweeter-foam-search-over-sentry-100a-tweetwer-foam-2.jpg

I do realize their replacement foam isn't the same, but with the outer ring of foam being used for diffraction, and the inner for dispersion, I can't imagine them sounding better with no foam at all. YMMV

Heading to the Gibson Custom Shop in mid July spoke with them this morning and sounds like the crack can be mended and have the neck alignment and everything checked out for not too much which is rather exciting!
Very GOOD!!!!!!
I just wrote you about that
It is exciting

I do realize their replacement foam isn't the same, but with the outer ring of foam being used for diffraction, and the inner for dispersion, I can't imagine them sounding better with no foam at all. YMMV
I didn't say that they would
What model Sentry do you have?

Picked some of these ups tonight, so did anyone figure out where to get the Tweeter foam for the EV Sentry 100a? mine are coming off but the woofers are in great shape!

If one could discover the exact measurements and densities of those foam rings, it would be quite easy to manufacture a couple of die to cut them out of blanks. And finding foam in various colors and densities should not be that hard with a little research. Looks like a simple little cottage industry for somebody.

GeeDeeEmm

those do all say they're different densities? gdmoore28 is right if I was more proactive i'm sure the info is available, I may take them somewhere locally as there are a couple other minor issues too and seek their advice, I'm in los angeles and these seems like really sweet monitor speakers so worth investing a bit..

The inner foam is a high density foam used for attenuation of the off axis signal and the outer medium density foam is to help ward off refraction.

The inner foam is a high density foam used for attenuation of the off axis signal and the outer medium density foam is to help ward off refraction.

Not to threadcrap, but yeah, well kinda; what could possibly be the purpose of using the "outer ring of refraction foam" around the outside of a bass reflex port?

I ask as my Sansui SP-50s once had them but of course they long disintegrated away.

If you look at this pic of the similar SP-30 at this site - you will see the same shallow foam ring around the bass port:

http://120studio.com/audio/sansui-sp30.htm

Makes no sense to me so I never thought to look for replacements.

Keep in mind that the airflows IN and OUT of a port.

At the point where the port breaks the surface of the baffle the airstream begins to spread out when the air is pushing out of the port.

Conversely, when the air is being drawn into the port it is funnelled into that port.

Therefore the area at the edge of the port is subject to all kinds of aerodynamic stuff I know too little about to try and explain. What I believe is the foam was used around the port to minimize the air disturbance at the port edge in the attempt to reduce distortion and or noise.

I stated in an earlier post that with regards to the speaker in question the foam makes a significant improvement.

I have also experienced similar treatment on a pair of Infinity RS III series speakers around the Mid-range and tweeter.

Back
Top Bottom