Ever displayed your vinyl like this?

Ringside

I know people often use frames for their records in order to display them but has anyone here simply done something like in this picture?

If neatly done with the right materials it could be nice.

(The store is TKO Records in CA by the way and I wished I lived close by!).

DSCN0091.JPG

I have thought about using a picture rail like that on the inside of the doors on my Music cabinet.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h217/UJ78/2009 office project/

But I just haven't gotten around to it. Granted I will have to have a top and bottom rail so the albums stays in place when I open the doors.

I think the "problem" with this type of display is the limited number of LP's you can display this way. My Pink Floyd collection alone would take as much display area as your showing in your photo above.

Last edited:
You gotta have a lot of wall space and be dedicated to using it this way. I had a few albums framed for a while but now I have oil paintings in their place. I kind of got tired of looking at the stuff.

That's a mess. Even for a record store. I like the idea of displaying my LPs. But if I were doing this in my house, I'd try to be a little neater, more discriminating (fewer on display), and not take up as much room.

Right now I use a small picture stand to prop up the cover of the LP I'm playing.

I like that. I never thought about just a rail to leen them on. Would be cheaper than the frames and you can make them any lenth you want.:thmbsp:

Last edited:
Uhh, the whole wall behind my rig is albums nailed directly to the wall; no spacing...

Kinda hurts your brain to look at for long but I don't care, I am listening to music or playing a video game.

:)

And no, they are all covers you could find at GW or I already have 5 copies of.

Matt

I only display the LP I'm presently playing.

I do have maybe 10 LPs on the bottom of my turntable stereo rack. It's made for TTs and records. Very cool. The rest are stored in a cabinet in the bedroom.

If I had a mancave I would frame and display a few. 3 max. Also put up some of the framed autographed photos and a poster or two. But...no mancave. It ain't gonna happen.

I did find a really super beyond rare LP made by Sansui, a 'Japanese domestic market LP', for sale in Japan only on Yahoo Japan. There are a few others made for the Japanese market too but this is the first time I ever saw THAT album. I was suprised really. Nice picture too. Very colorful with a guy and a gal walking on the beach in very late afternoon/early sunset. If I was ever to display/frame any LP 'now', it would of been that one. I would of bought it. (The wife would ' f l i p - totally out' with LPs hanging on the wall.)

Last edited:
Yes, sort of, on a smaller scale. In one of my apartments I had a simple "rail shelf" I built where I had 2 rows of vinyl about 8 per shelf. Looked real cool but they would fall off from time to time!

I believe in keeping my record and CD collection as neat looking as possible. If I did a display like that, I'd do something with dark walnut shelving and keep it to just a display of not more than 3 or 4 LPs.

At least half of the record shops in Hong Kong display at least some records on the walls in that fashion --usually above bins or on smaller areas between shelves. It's highly functional, because you can easily slip records in or out. They are also commonly used (with close spacing) to display CDs.

In a home setting, it would allow you to regularly change the records on display, to suit your whims and avoid boredom, but you could also just as easily leave the same favorite records up for years if you preferred. I'd say that kind of easy flexibility is this approach's greatest advantage.

I'm not sure I'd want my listening space to look that much like a store, though (which is what I associate that approach with). I might prefer individual frames -- or at least strips that looked a little bit nicer, perhaps nice wooden molding/framing strips instead of the "industrial" aluminum channels. If the aluminum strips don't scream "budget record store" to you, though, and you like the "clean" lines of them, then why not?!

I order LP inner sleeves from bagsunlimited.com. In my last order they included a catalog, lots of nice framing kits and storage ideas in there, reasonably priced too.

Oh shite! I knew that place looked familiar! I haven't been there for a while although I am close by.:yes:

TKO is 2 minutes by bicycle from my house. Unfortunatley they are mostly all about Punk which isn't my thing. I should check them out again, it's been awhile. There's another record shop a couple of doors doon from there, Dr. Cloud or something. From their website they look like they cater to DJ's, also not my thing.

Back
Top Bottom