Ever had a skip that went away the next morning?

DesertTwang

This has me puzzled: The other day, I found a record at a thrift store that I was very excited about: Kitaro's Silk Road II. Played it last night and it was pure heaven, except for a skipping groove right in the first 20 seconds of the first track. This was after I had washed the record with the SpinClean. The vinyl overall looks pretty good, has lost its sheen, and accumulated some scuffs and marks, but nothing that looks serious, maybe a low VG+.

Played it again, and it skipped again, at the same spot. Examined the vinyl around the circumference but couldn't find anything. So I payed attention to the exact location where the skip occurred and examined more closely, under strong light. Finally spotted a teeny-tiny pit(?), barely visible to the naked eye. So small I couldn't even tell whether it was a defect or dirt. Took to the spot first with vinyl cleaning fluid, then with lighter fluid, rubbing carefully with a microfiber cloth. Didn't do anything. Needle would still skip a groove at that spot.

Then, this morning, I put the record on again and again, it played through the spot just fine. Restarted it, and it played through the spot without hitch.

Isn't this weird? Why would the stylus skip at first, but then run through a trouble spot fine, with the only difference being a night's rest in between?

My money is on the cleaning loosened it and then the stylus removed it.

For future reference I've had great success using a wooden toothpick for something like that wedged in the groove. You can usually pull it out by working in the same direction as the groove. The wood is softer than the plastic, just use it gently.

My money is on the cleaning loosened it and then the stylus removed it.

For future reference I've had great success using a wooden toothpick for something like that wedged in the groove. You can usually pull it out by working in the same direction as the groove. The wood is softer than the plastic, just use it gently.

That's great advice, thank you! So far, I've used cotton swabs and a microfiber cloth, both of which do leave scuff marks in the vinyl if I rub forcefully. I'll try gentle toothpick method next time.

I thought you meant one of these -

skip.jpg

I've never had one of these go away the next morning - not without a man with a big truck being involved :)

Your stylus is cleaning and polishing the grove, most likely the record will be fine and play better the more you us it.

This is why one should also not judge a new record on the first play because the record gets better after 3 or so plays. A stylus polishes the groove and will mellow imperfections from the pressing and vinyl.

Back
Top Bottom