1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Ever sell a McIntosh Piece by Piece? Why?

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by jlovda, Feb 11, 2018.

1. jlovda

jlovda Things I loved from the 60's and 70's Subscriber

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever disassembled a McIntosh and sold the pieces separately.

I have an MR77 tuner that has a very slightly bent chassis. Something a casual observer would never notice. The unit is otherwise pristine both physically and performance wise. Based on a few conversations, I honestly think I would have to drop the price well below $300 before anyone would be seriously interested. A bent chassis seems to be the kiss of death. The front panel glass with all the trim pieces is probably worth a lot. Then there are the knobs, etc.

People quite often sell speaker components that have damaged cabinets.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Can the chassis not be straightened? Such a shame to part out these units ...

3. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

As the demand for tuners is pretty weak as it is, it'll likely be a tough sell.

Unfortunately the value of individual parts is proportional to the value to the unit itself so I don't see a lot of advantage in parting out.

Trying to visualize exactly what it would've taken to have bent a chassis. o_O

4. jlovda

What are the parts proportional to? An MR77 in very clean condition may be worth $400-$700. An MR77 in very clean condition with a bent chassis may only bring $250. Glass costs about $150 regardless of which one you have.

5. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

The question then becomes what's someone going to pay for an MR77 with a bent chassis that needs a $150 part?

$250 is probably on the light side if otherwise as nice as you say - and working up to snuff.

6. McGuyDF

McGuyDF New Member

love my MR77 - paid around $500 and just had it serviced for $139 - listening to it now actually - fantastic piece.

7. TR6man98

TR6man98 Well-Known Member

John,
    There's no doubt in my mind that parts are worth more then a whole unit in a good condition, let alone damaged tuner.
    Of course selling in parts might take a while and some parts just would not sell but still...
    I haven't parted any McIntosh but I've seen some sellers on eBay that look like parting complete units.

8. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

Why not just keep and enjoy it?

9. jlovda

Performance-wise, I'd rather keep my MR78. I just have too many tuners.

10. techguy0192

techguy0192 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Honestly, tuners will keep dropping in value - McIntosh or otherwise.

I recently let go of my Magnum Dynalab gear. It was fun to fiddle with and the meters looked cool. However, streaming FM from my Node 2 was simply better. I enjoyed the MD, but due to my location (valley), I was really considering a roof top antenna and was already using a MD Signal Sleuth. I gave FM streaming from the Node 2 a shot and haven't looked back.

With all that said, the unit is worth more parted out. Not sure that's something I would do if it's as nice as you say. But the chassis issue is something that should be disclosed and will impact the value in the used market.

11. geespot

geespot PUT it IN MY POCKET Subscriber

Parted out a MR73. Made a lot more than I paid for it. Only needed one board out of it for repair on mine.