Ever use a Range Expander?

Range expanders were very effective on vynil records because during the recording phase the sound had been "compressed".
I haven't listened to onne of those in a long time. I wonder what effect they might have on CD's an new FM broadcasts.

Have a RG-1 hooked into my PIONEER SPEC Setup.I use a dbx 200 Router with processor inputs.Controls on the front allow you to punch in or out any of three processors at any given time. To me the RG-1 gives more punch to the Rock that I listen too,CD's,LP's and cassettes. I also use it along with a RG-2 and a SR-303 reverb sometimes all at the sametime in the signal path(Ohhh,the purists would never allow that now!! bad,bad,bad!!):twak:
It sounds great while listening to FM.But is really great with CD's,LP's with noticable reverb in the original recording.With the combination of all three units set just right not full on to the right cha' know it gives even wider fill to the room and gives the recorded reverb,echo just a wider boost.To me it makes you feel even more like you are in the studio during the recording when you close your eyes. But you really need to hear one for yourself and switch it in and out of the signal path to really tell what it does.You can describe this all day long but hearing is the only real way to determine if you want one of these.I believe THOR was offering his for sale at one time. Not sure if it is still available.:dunno: :rockon:

Last edited:
You might want to check out a Dbx 3bx; it's a three band expander. I hooked one into my system about 2 weeks ago and really like it.

It seems to open up cassettes, FM and LPs to give them back the dynamic range compressed out of them in the recording or broadcasting process; in effect making them more natural and CD like in dynamic range. I haven't used it with CDs as I believe that they have much more dynamic range to start with, but I may be wrong.

I'm not familiar with the Pioneer unit, but love my 3bx, which can be found for around the same price, especially the older, wood trimmed series 1.

THOR's RG-1

Nope....THOR's RG-1 is perched atop my RT-707 in the living room system, I sometimes use it to recover lost dynamics from FM. It's a neat unit...purists would cringe but that's what the bypass is for. I don't use every effect or plug-in available when recording either, but I like having them there in case I need them. All I want now for the main system is an SG-9500 EQ to match it... :)

TP

Multiband range expanders?

Is the RG-1 a multiband like the DBX?

On a similar subject, I thought I remembered seeing a range expansion plugin or function in Soundforge. Never played with it though. I wonder if it has discrete bands (ala the DBX multibander) or if it processes each frequency seperately. The latter would be overkill but interesting to compare.

I used it for the bouncy meters ;) Then I got so many LED units it really didn't fit in no more :no:

DBX 3BX Dynamic Range Expander

I use a pair of DBX 3BXs in my system. With their 3 bands up to 50% range expansion......they are the greatest thing since sliced bread for 8-track tapes! Set properly, they are pretty much transparent for 8-tracks, reels, FM, and even the overly compressed CDs they've been selling us for last few years!

The 3BX also has a 10db reduction in "source" noise reduction. So while they help with tape hiss and lp surface noise, I use DBX SNR-1s (Source Noise Reduction) to really eliminate tape hiss/surface noise.

The great thing about the SNR-1s is that unlike regular DBX noise reduction, they do not require "encoding/decoding". They work on ANY source material and as they are a real-time dynamic noise filter, they don't just chop off the highs at a certain frequency. They actually track the audio signal and ONLY eliminate the steady state noise. With them in, you not only don't lose any high freq. information.......you can hear the High frequencies better as they aren't buried in the source noise!

The combination results in being able to enjoy 8-track tapes and lps with almost the clarity and detail of a CD. Nothings perfect, but its more than enough to blow away audiophiles when I load up a lowly quad 8-track!!:uzi:

I sold Thor that RG-1, and I still have a couple more Pioneer range expanders around here, but I haven't seen them for awhile.
They are not the vintage RG-1 or RG-2's, but something like EX-9000. I will make a point of looking for them, in the event someone is interested.

Toasted Almond

i want one!!!!!!!!!! should you have the sudden need to send me one out of the kindness of you heart just tell me you know just be like hey dude i want to give you this for free you know?

I have posted about this before, the Phase Linear Dimensional Sonic Localizer. Very nice on records and tapes but minimal effect on well-recorded cd's. Currently relegated to the closet of great but outmoded audio equipment.

Originally posted by Toasted Almond
They are not the vintage RG-1 or RG-2's, but something like EX-9000. I will make a point of looking for them, in the event someone is interested.

How do the EX-9000 stack up against the RG-1 or RG-2's.. How do these hook to your system.. And did you happen to look for yours... I might be interested in one...
I play alot of 8 tracks and albums..

Thanks, Brent

The EX-9000 inserts into a tape loop on your receiver or preamp. I know exactly where one of them is, right here in the hacienda. The other is at a shop where I consign stuff. PM me if you want one.

Toasted Almond

What did I say to make you think anything even REMOTELY close to that? No big deal, I seem to buzz the tower with my comments on occasions such as this.

Toasted Almond doesn't peddle crap, if he's offering, it's worth looking at.

Cheers,
Russ:

Back
Top Bottom