Everything is *NOT* just 'Ducky'....

quaddriver

120 What?'s per channel
Subscriber
Anyone following the duck boat sinking in/around Branson MO?

Un-fricken real. Those things were designed to operate protected water in 8-12ft after the LST grounded and could not get its ramp to shore (anything less than 5ft was considered fordable by military doctrine at the time)

They carried 15-16 soldiers plus gear.

Apparently, they elongate these things to carry the load they were.

Duck boats are full negative displacement conveyances. Unlike say my boat or any of yours, they are designed with enough floatation to remain in view when fully swamped. Larger vessels are exempt from this and do sink, but at a much slower rate, the average cabin cruiser will in fact sink like the Orca in Jaws (with or without 25ft great white attached)

a duck boat, like a barge will sink akin to dropping a stone in the water once the buoyancy afforded by the captured air of the hull is gone. watching that video is stunning, it appears no one was scrambling to get out - I know I would have vested up and went overboard at the first swell, assuming it does not capsize, that canopy will pull you under just like it did capsize and humans lose orientation QUICKLY under water.

This is the second mass casualty sinking in the south (1999 Arkansas) and a long string of water mishaps. seems like a good idea but I tell you they are not safe vessels (for the record, I have been an avid powerboater for 31 years holding my own license for 21 and seen some 'stuff' on the water)

In todays litigious world, how in the heck did they even consider operating.

question, the owner, ripley entertainment...same place that owns the museums and the theme attractions like at pigeon forge? etc?

Very sad. These all should be taken out of the water for good. It's really a shame people even think they are safe. We had a death in Philly a short while ago.

There was a show on 20/20 or some other investigative show about these boats.

There was some technical issue with an automatic bailer (bilge pump). I believe a hose connects the pump discharge to the thru-hull fitting below the waterline and there is no check-valve at the hull. The hose fails and the boat fills with water and sinks in a very short time.

The bailer (bilge pump) is freakin' huge on these boats to pump out seawater in rough seas. Big pump, big hose, big hole in the hull.

Don't know if this was the same failure, but it sounds like it.

You can tell by my avatar I have more than a passing interest in the subject.

You put a modern day idiot behind the wheel of a 75 year old experimental water craft that has been modified dozens of times and bad things will happen every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom