EVG N91ED stylus at 36$ or new cartridge (AT-95e or M97xE)

JayPare

I'm looking for a new stylus for my TT (Pioneer PL-15R). I got a M91ED cartdrige and after Googling a lot people seems to recommend the EVG N91ED stylus on those. However, since I'm in Canada, prices are higher. The cheaper one I've found is on Ebay at 36$ CAD:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3051428257

At this price, I wonder if I shouldn't go with a new cartridge, let's say the AT95e (67$), the M92E (75$) or the M97xE (140$).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
EVG used to be a good budget option, but they just changed suppliers, so now it would be a total crapshoot as to what you might end up with if you buy one.

Since you already have the cartridge, I'd probably just bite the bullet and get a new stylus from Jico. They aren't cheap when you figure in shipping, but they are the best option.

I'm sure @malden will be along to advise you.

Edit: The Voice of Music is still showing Japanese sourced EVGs in stock here:
https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cat...Type=MfgNameNeedles&MfgName=Shure&Categories=

Last edited:
There are lots of AT fans but I'm not one of them. If I happen to acquire a turntable with an AT and I intend on keeping the table around for a while, the AT comes off and either an M91ED or perhaps a Stanton goes on in it's place. If I decide to sell the turntable, the AT goes back on.

Over time, I gifted turntables to a few friends in which case an M91ED went with it. I'm down to three of those cartridges now but those people I know with an interest in playing records, have had their needs met.

Except for one. I just learned she's finally got a place where she can set up her system and I feel guilty about leaving the Excel cartridge on the turntable I gave her.

There are other cartridges I've kept on hand for one reason or another and they are all US made, For whatever reason, I've always preferred them and since I'm Canadian, patriotism does not apply. Could be that because my first magnetic cartridge in the late 1960's was a Shure, I've become accustomed to how they sound and mostly used them (or Stanton, or ADC, or Sonus, or Pickering or Empire) ever since. But I can honestly say that I have never warmed up to Japanese made (or European for that matter) phono cartridges.

Just my opinion.

I'm looking for a new stylus for my TT (Pioneer PL-15R). I got a M91ED cartdrige and after Googling a lot people seems to recommend the EVG N91ED stylus on those. However, since I'm in Canada, prices are higher. The cheaper one I've found is on Ebay at 36$ CAD:

At this price, I wonder if I shouldn't go with a new cartridge, let's say the AT95e (67$), the M92E (75$) or the M97xE (140$).

The M91ED with a JICO N91E stylus would be better and cheaper than any of those cartridges you mention...

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?cPath=18&products_id=1024

Here's another vote for sticking with the M91ED. I'm not a fan of the AT95 series but do like the M97xE but that would cost much more than a good stylus for the M91, with little enough benefit to make it worthwhile, imo.

Ditto on the JICO N91E. Very close to original in sound, don't pay extra for the ED, they are the same except for color.

I'm looking for a new stylus for my TT (Pioneer PL-15R). I got a M91ED cartdrige and after Googling a lot people seems to recommend the EVG N91ED stylus on those.

However, since I'm in Canada, prices are higher. The cheaper one I've found is on Ebay at 36$ CAD:

An alternative would be a HE-hyper elliptical stylus for the Shure M91ED cartridge body. :music:

https://lptunes.com/products/hyperelliptical-replacement-for-shure-n-91ed-n91ed-stylus

$ 79.99 = 103.05 CDN

$1.00 USD = $1.2882 CAD

Gary at TVOM is a great guy. If he has it listed as EVG Japan that is exactly what you will receive.

Agreed 100%. I spoke with Gary about a month ago and ordered a couple of JICO made EVG .03 x .07 mil M75 elliptical stylii from him. He confirmed that JICO is no longer supplying EVG and EVG has switched over to Pfansteihl as their primary supplier. Once his current supply of JICO made EVGs is depleted, he won't be able to get any more.

I have since acquired a Dual 1228 that came with the original N91ED cartridge and Shure Hi-Track stylus. The stylus has a bent cantilever and a worn tip. I've been looking for a NOS replacement, but unless I find one, I'll probably just order one ff the remaining JICO made EVGs from Gary and maybe eventually upgrade to a hyper elliptical if I decide to keep the table/cartridge.

Last edited:
I ended up ordering a EVG Japan made N91-ED from The Voice of Music. I asked them to be sure they are not sending me the Swiss version. Will keep you guys posted.

There are basically two types of after-market needles for Shure cartridges. At first glance both types look the same but if you look closer you'll see that one type are built like the originals and the others are not.

The main differences are the suspension components which includes the "tie wire" and the size and shape of the magnets.

I have the EVG.. its not to bad.

The Tonar brand is also of great quality, and in your neck of the woods..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turntable-...691765?hash=item4d6c7e3335:g:HxkAAOSwVLRaao0C

Anyway I just odered the Jico copy from EVG, but next time I might consider the Tonar. Thanks for your input! :)

The Jico is a good stylus as well. Funny you have this post up, a few of us were just having this talk last night over in the music thread.

Hope it sounds good to you!

Kind Regards,
John

Anyway I just odered the Jico copy from EVG, but next time I might consider the Tonar. Thanks for your input! :)

Just to pick a nit, the Japanses made EVG is not a JICO copy. It was actually made by JICO to EVG's specs to sell at a lower price than the JICO branded counterpart. Just looking at the two and knowing that it makes no sense to have two different versions of all of the parts, I suspect they share the same diamond, cantilever and plastic grip, but the JICO made EVG lacks the soldered tie wire and square magnets of the genuine JICO branded stylus.

In any case one isn't a copy of the other. It's a different version made at the same factory to different specs/requirements.

Back
Top Bottom