Evidence of the vinyl craze decline....again.

I just finished watching Tucker myself.

Here is my theory on the possible record sales decline as of late: IMO, much of the resurgence of vinyl was caused by people who had vinyl, then opt out when the CD medium sprouted, only to return to vinyl after it appeared to have gained some foothold as a returning music source. The initial surge in sales was by this same group, replacing discarded record albums tossed after the CD revolution, not finding their album in the condition they wanted it in, so they bought new. I say this because there is no way to track used LP sales. This group now has purchased (new stuff) the records that they used to have and are now satisfied that their collection has been restored. That is one group.

Another group is the children of baby boomers who were exposed to the LP format because of their parents influences, and now they have decided that ma and pa really had something, so they have bought turntables and new (and used) vinyl. I'm not sure how big this group is in a pie chart.

The third group is very interesting. It's the grandkids of the baby boomers. I know this because we have a local (Twin Cities) station that is really into new and progressive music, and most, if not all is available on vinyl. This tells me that people that are making new music know that vinyl is a very credible music medium, otherwise they would have just been satisfied with downloads.

I also think turntable sales may follow a similar pattern with boomer sales accounting for maybe half of all sales, a less then 1/4 by the offspring of the boomers and a greater then 1/4 by the grandkids.

But this is just my gut feel, based in zero statistics.

Well the next time you want accurate news, go back to Fox, and don't be ashamed, or don't let others shame you to feel you need to protect your image if you do.

I see what's going on.. Dan is a trump supporter.

Was having a busy day, I should have caught on sooner.

He assumes Im some "liberal" because I said I don't support fox. The funny thing I was not implying Trump, just Fox in general. You have to remember some of us hated Fox prior to this mess.

sure got your goat by talking about Fox. I've seen quite a bit of your postings Dan, and we both have friends in the hobby in our area.. you classifieds me as being on a pedistol... clearly labeling me as snobbish. You should probably know who I am prior to making assumptions.

All to find out its for your love of Trump.

I'm not ashamed at all... if your support him good on you.

I've still not said anything negative to you, but let's see your snarky response.

Kind Regards,
John

54QaGNEA_o.gif

Nothing wrong about wishing the best for our country .

As far as Vinyl is concerned , the big rise is a fad . It will level off and be as it was , a niche market .

Mikey Fremer claims that there were over 1 million turntables of various qualities that were purchased last year.....that would be more then a "fad", tho I could consider it to be a niche market.......a rather large niche market.

Mikey Fremer claims that there were over 1 million turntables of various qualities that were purchased last year.....that would be more then a "fad", tho I could consider it to be a niche market.......a rather large niche market.

Wow , really . a million TT ? That is a lot of turntables . I will be curious what this years sales will be . Thanks for the info .

Just a bit of profiteering that hasn't gone so well by a few bandwagon jumpers.
Main shops I go to down here in Welly have stable prices.
One has now started importing new/used from Japan and a local HiFi shop has started importing batches of MOFI & similar, which seem to sell out pretty quickly.
I will admit to giving in to both of those temptations.
I just do not it to be lost here that we are conversing on a subject from all over the globe. It's stunning. We are not wine snobs or Formula 1 car owners just sorta nerdy artsy enthusiasts who appreciate the same thing from all over the world. I.m in Minnesota. Some from New Zealand, UK, Put your mind around that for a second.

^^
Lol had to sneak that in?

I'm no stickler, we can talk about it! :)

I want what's best as well... but I also have 2 brothers currently serving, one is in Afghan now. I just hope nothing major happens any time soon. Lost my roommate James back in 2010. So for me personally I have a different view.

No matter if you support Trump or not, I just hope he makes the right choices for our country. some of us actually have friends and family who depend on it. It's easy to pop off at the mouth, but when it directly impacts you, ones perspective can change.

Man I sure should not have mentioned fox... but than again it's funny to see how fast people will jump. Damn Buzz word!

My family are big supporters, they know I'm not. We can still get along folks!

Ok enough Trump talk.

Kind Regards,
John

When I was a kid we all had records. Then in my 20's and 30's they mostly disappeared, and were replaced by CD's. Then CD's went away as everybody was stealing music and downloading on computers and Ipod's. I don't know what percentage of kids actually own physical media these days, but a guess would be around 1% of what is was when I was 18. You can call it what you want but from this old man's chair the market is "slim".

As far as Vinyl is concerned , the big rise is a fad . It will level off and be as it was , a niche market .

^^
Lol had to sneak that in?

I'm no stickler, we can talk about it! :)

I want what's best as well... but I also have 2 brothers currently serving, one is in Afghan now. I just hope nothing major happens any time soon. Lost my roommate James back in 2010. So for me personally I have a different view.

No matter if you support Trump or not, I just hope he makes the right choices for our country. some of us actually have friends and family who depend on it. It's easy to pop off at the mouth, but when it directly impacts you, ones perspective can change.

Man I sure should not have mentioned fox... but than again it's funny to see how fast people will jump. Damn Buzz word!

My family are big supporters, they know I'm not. We can still get along folks!

Ok enough Trump talk.

Post acting up, sorry for the 2nd post...

Kind Regards,
John

I just finished watching Tucker myself.

Here is my theory on the possible record sales decline as of late: IMO, much of the resurgence of vinyl was caused by people who had vinyl, then opt out when the CD medium sprouted, only to return to vinyl after it appeared to have gained some foothold as a returning music source. The initial surge in sales was by this same group, replacing discarded record albums tossed after the CD revolution, not finding their album in the condition they wanted it in, so they bought new. I say this because there is no way to track used LP sales. This group now has purchased (new stuff) the records that they used to have and are now satisfied that their collection has been restored. That is one group.

Another group is the children of baby boomers who were exposed to the LP format because of their parents influences, and now they have decided that ma and pa really had something, so they have bought turntables and new (and used) vinyl. I'm not sure how big this group is in a pie chart.

The third group is very interesting. It's the grandkids of the baby boomers. I know this because we have a local (Twin Cities) station that is really into new and progressive music, and most, if not all is available on vinyl. This tells me that people that are making new music know that vinyl is a very credible music medium, otherwise they would have just been satisfied with downloads.

I also think turntable sales may follow a similar pattern with boomer sales accounting for maybe half of all sales, a less then 1/4 by the offspring of the boomers and a greater then 1/4 by the grandkids.

But this is just my gut feel, based in zero statistics.

In Barns & Noble they have a album table. Old stuff and new stuff. I was just in a Event center near UofM where the owner has 85 block wall sound suppressed rooms he rents to bands who want a place to practice. He also has a sound studio they can rent. This may explode still.....

Last month i drove to Iowa to have my Turntable rebuilt. He was busy as three peckered billy goat. It cost me $275.00. yesterday i found the receipt for my TT. $230.00 in 1975. I search garage sales, thrift stores, estate sales, for new stuff. Many people will not take the time to do this again. I will because it sounds so good.

Just a bit of profiteering that hasn't gone so well by a few bandwagon jumpers.
Main shops I go to down here in Welly have stable prices.
One has now started importing new/used from Japan and a local HiFi shop has started importing batches of MOFI & similar, which seem to sell out pretty quickly.
I will admit to giving in to both of those temptations.

Indeed - I think the biggest wannabe profiteer is The Warehouse. The one near me is constantly marking the vinyl down and I see the same titles every time I walk through the entertainment section.

Indeed - I think the biggest wannabe profiteer is The Warehouse. The one near me is constantly marking the vinyl down and I see the same titles every time I walk through the entertainment section.

Yea our local good will cherry picks there albums... I do agree it is annoying... i can remember waking out of thrift stores with a sore arm due to having a stack of vinyl I picked up for under 10bucks. Not any more... they have stepped up their game in knowing what is good quality. I picked up ZZtop afterburner at the GW and paid 10 bucks for it... about what I would have paid at streetlight...

Oh that's another thing they call themselves the Good Will "loft"... not sure if it's because the building has a 2nd floor or if they are trying to be hip... but one would not expect to pay full price at a thrift store.. but it is what it is, the album is in good shape, so I'll pay a little more to get what I want. :)
IMG_2302.JPG IMG_2303.JPG

Yea our local good will cherry picks there albums... I do agree it is annoying... i can remember waking out of thrift stores with a sore arm due to having a stack of vinyl I picked up for under 10bucks. Not any more... they have stepped up their game in knowing what is good quality. I picked up ZZtop afterburner at the GW and paid 10 bucks for it... about what I would have paid at streetlight...

Oh that's another thing they call themselves the Good Will "loft"... not sure if it's because the building has a 2nd floor or if they are trying to be hip... but one would not expect to pay full price at a thrift store.. but it is what it is, the album is in good shape, so I'll pay a little more to get what I want. :)
View attachment 1008376 View attachment 1008377
Boy your getting worked. You know there is record stores in the bay area, that record is $2.99 all day long. I'd help you out but your behavior in this thread and ignorance to the site rules puts you on my shit list. You asked a question because others questioned your post earlier and all I did was say yes to it. You then went on a tangent attacking me for no reason and making assumptions, I'm quiet amazed really.

Last edited:
Boy your getting worked. You know there is record stores in the bay area, that record is $2.99 all day long. I'd help you out but your behavior in this thread and ignorance to the site rules puts you on my shit list. You asked a question because others questioned your post earlier and all I did was say yes to it. You then went on a tangent attacking me for no reason. I'm quiet amazed really.

Attacked? You said a lot more than just Yes...

"Well the next time you want accurate news, go back to Fox, and don't be ashamed, or don't let others shame you to feel you needto protect your image if you do."

Also something about a pedistol...

Maybe you should go back and read your posts.

You wouldnt help me! I laugh at the thought. Yea I really am hoping some asshole on a internet site gives me info on where to find albums... you failed to understand that I outright acknowledged I over paid for it...

On your shit list... oh this is going to be good!

Ok let's put it out there!

Your upset I called you a trump supporter, and could back up my argument in a civil manner. Funny how you want to poke at me than say "all I said was" grow up!

Attacked you! Ha! If I wanted to I couldn't have said a lot more.

Be amazed... That's what happens when you act like an ass.

You just did not like being called out.

My your mamma joke was a joke, next thing I know your basically stereotyping me to be anti Trump when I was talking about fox.. while I don't support him, in that context I was referring to the station.

I did not attack you, I did however direct my posts to you based off your comments.

So be sure you are accurate prior to making posts about "all I said and you attacked".

No... you attacked, I finished!

Lastly you said I was ignorant... yea well I'm not the one crying over someone calling me a trump supporter.

Get bent!

John

Back
Top Bottom