Exactly Why Vinyl Isn't The Future of Audiophilia

Listening to Signify by Porcupine Tree over the last two days, an album that I am very familiar with on CD shows up the differences in mastering.

SW is a superb producer who doesnt tend to master CD`s for loudness, but even with that, the remaster for vinyl is simply stunning.

I`m hearing stuff that I never heard before on the CD.

If companies are going to release vinyl and expect us to shell out for it they need to understand that those of us who love it, expect original recordings intended for the digital world to be remastered properly for vinyl.

My eldest son bought me Tangerine Dream Alpha Centuari on vinyl for xmas.
It is also a faithfull mastering job.

All my PT vinyl is better than my digital media....For sure Wilson does an outstanding job....But I also say this for my Marillion vinyl compared to digital. The Madfish, Tonefloat and Kscope labels are doing a great job right now.

Fellow Kscope label mates The Pineapple Thief vinyl also worth a listen as is the very high quality Storm Corrosion Album.

I`m a sucker for heavyweight vinyl in high quality sleeves.

No matter what the rest of the Music Scene does in the Future in regards to Formats I have most of them that have been around since my birth some 60 + yrs ago and I will not be changing any of them in the remainder of my lifetime!
That is not to say that I will not add any NEW ones that may come along and are affordable and more (IMPORTANTLY) I like them!!!!!!!!!!

"The 60 year olds while breathing in radon gas, languishing in their somewhat finished basements...............with their head in vices are killing off.....

All of this ageism in the audio hobby (young against old, old against young, etc.) makes me want to club someone with a baby seal. There is room for everyone and all sorts of formats in the hi-fi world. :rant:

I listen to all formats.

mp3`s are handy

FLAC is a good format for sharing

DVD audio is great, esp in 5.1 , though as yet DVD-A players arent widespread.

I`d love to see someone produce a CD player that can handle DVD-A and SACD

I think we are in a multiformat world.
I even still use my old minidisc player.

Vinyl is my first love and whilst I think a lot of the arguments over quality are probably more to do with what you are used to listening to, it has an artistic asthetic that appeals to many youngsters.

There is obviously a demand for it , though I agree at present it seems to be more the older buyer re-issues or, bands who tend to have an older more cult audience.

Other vinyl purchases in the last year have been The Bevis Frond, the leaving of London , Squackett and english prog undergound giants, TheTangent, Comm.

Sigur Ros and Caspian, Russian Circles are more current bands also releasing great vinyl that I have partaken of

Hi Hobbit and the rest of the gang,

The OPPO products are in fact widely available in the UK. You can find a list of UK dealers on the OPPO website on this page: http://www.oppo-bluray.co.uk/where-to-buy/. There must be nearly 30 dealers in the UK.

You can also buy directly from the OPPO website, but they ship from the USA, so buying from a UK dealer would seem to be the most prudent choice.

Happy Listening.

Thanks

Couldnt find them in the usual UK on line Hi fi stores.

I fancy the Yamaha mind you, and am currently negotiating with an on line seller re it and the Onyo A9050 amp.

My cunning plan is to use the the pre out to run the remote speakers of the Technics SU V10X , ie use it simply as a power amp.

I'd say it is a scary thought if vinyl is the future. Can we really do no better in the 21st century than this archaic equipment?

I'm sure someone out there is working on an analog recording/playback system for the 21st century. I can only imagine what must be possible with today's materials and technology.

I find it funny that people consider good or great digital to be closer to analog sounding. Lets face it a couple generations from now people won't even remember what great analog sound sounded like. DAC is probably the future and I highly doubt any physical media will be there with it.

To all the hipsters that keep saying vynil is coming back. You guys are silly. When Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. start carrying records they will be back untill then it's a hobby that has found a resurgence.

Until a recent rearrangement, the local Best Buy had a large vinyl rack. Target has also carried some limited-edition vinyl.

But if you want to join a forum and immediately start throwing uninformed bombs, have at it. ;)

The future of audio is high resolution digital formats, most likely in whatever format that is native to the master, such as DSD.

You heard it here...well, not first. It's been widely considered to be the future for some time in various corners of audio.

Vinyl will last as long as people still have a lot of records, which seems like it will be for some time. But its not the future. Its not even the present. The degree of difference in ability of digital is becoming more and more apparent with the better DACs out there now. My $2000 DAC equals the sound quality of my $11,500 CD player from a few years ago. The $1500 Mytek DAC isn't far off, either. They are more "analog" sounding than ever, and the pains of playing vinyl are getting further and further from being worth it, for a number of people even with a LOT of time and money dedicated to their record playing rigs. I have several thousand records and have no intention of giving up on it totally. But my record player gets maybe 20% of my listening time these days.

Which is to say, I think a lot of the points raised are perfectly valid. I don't get the video thing, though. Physical media is dying, especially digital physical media. Anybody who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. The only physical media that has even a chance is vinyl.

On most threads I follow since joining AK I, tend to fully agree with JohnVF, so I can limit my number of posts :D

For those who have many LP's and many CD's either technique is out and over one day.

The debate over quality Vinyl vs. CD/SACD sounds at some point childish.
I recently heard the an 1: 1 comparison of a renown challenging recording from the 70ies, both on Vinyl + SACD (Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio ‎– Midnight Sugar, TBM) on a very high-end systems:
EmmLabs vs. Basis Debut Signature spin table including JR Corus Pre Amp + 625 Amp with Avalon Indra speakers.

The vinyl version was audily better, the piano was about 3 foot "larger"
:D.
However one need a very good combo (spintable, arm + cell) to finish ahead of the best CD/SACD's JohnVF mentioned.

BUT, from a mass market viwepoint Vinyl is dead and thus you can't find new recordings with major interpreters (any style of music).

Conclusion: We continue to enjoy our Vinyl + CD/SADC collections and look relaxed ahead what will come next... :music:

Back
Top Bottom