Excelsior Americana Stereophonic High Fidelity Amplifier

davidguilbault

Perusing the Bargain Bins
Who knows anything about this amp? Thanks. David.

Excelsior01.jpg

Excelsior02.jpg

Excelsior03.jpg

Excelsior04.jpg

Excelsior05.jpg

Excelsior06.jpg

Excelsior07.jpg

Excelsior08.jpg

Excelsior09.jpg

Excelsior10.jpg

Pretty cool accordion amp you have there. I wouldn't mind have that.

Bet it sounds good with guitar also!

nice! lots of old accordions have two pick-ups, one for the bass buttons and another for the keys, hence the dual inputs, the pickups were often a hi-z (ceramic?) microphone kinda thing. I think Exsellsior was a US brand for Italian made accordions, the amp may have been made by Harmony or one of the other Chicago factories.

Should be a kick butt guitar amp!

What kind of cookies are those on the floor? did they come with the amp?

The little bit of information I can find on the Internet leads me to believe that these were made by Sano in NJ.

The amp has five speakers - a 15" made by Utah (I think), two 8" speakers made by Excelsior Sound Power in NY, and two side-fired 2" x 10" speakers. (A previous owner has disconnected the two side speakers.)

There are two separate amps inside - one affixed to the bottom and one affixed to under the control panel on top. The bottom power amp has two EL34 power tubes, a 5AR4 rectifier, two 12AU7 preamps, a 6AN8 and a EL84. The top reverb amp has 4 12AU7's.

I couldn't hear the tremolo, so I replaced the 12AU7's in the reverb amp with 12AX7's and the tremolo was loud and strong. However, in idle, the amp was actually shaking and making a whomping sound. So I guess the 12AX7's are way too much gain.

There are four inputs - two for accordion (treble & bass) and two for guitar (normal & bright). Each provide a different tone.

Would really like to find a schematic for this amp.

Last edited:
I was going to mention Hilgen or Sano.
Not many American amps used EL34s back in the 60s.

IIRC there might be a connection to a designer who worked for Ampeg.

I may end get an amp like this, It is pretty nice amp... that needs some work... If I do get it, I will get a schematic up pronto.

Back
Top Bottom