Excessive Heat?

Kenwood Man

Kenwood Love'n Member
Hey Guys,
I got a question for you. Earlier this week I finished cleaning and rebuilding that Sansui G 6700. It has been running wonderfully for 4 days strait now. Anyway I have a heat related question. This damn thing gets hot. I have several receivers and this thing gets as hot as my Class A Technics receiver. Its external heat sink gets really warm. No bad smells or anything but I was just thinking should a Class A/B receiver get this hot or is it biased wrong? How hot is to hot? How can you tell what’s normal heat or what’s excessive? I don’t want to melt this thing down it’s a great unit I’m very impressed so I just wanted some advice.

Thanks for any help! :)

Checking the bias current would be the best solution.
Meanwhile, I'd say if you can touch the output transistors for a long time (many seconds) without screming, the situation is fairly O.K.
I've noticed my finger can tolerate up to 160 F which is O.K. for power transistors.

Hi KM:

Well, the external heat sink fins will get fairly hot but it is possible that some adjustments, such as the bias current setting, need to be checked and lowered if they are reading high. The Service Manual will have what the value should be and where to make the adjustments for each channel.

The question is: does the G-6700 get very hot if you turn it On and just leave it idling like that for say.., an hour, or does the heat become noticeable only when you are cranking up the music loud? Also-say that you have been cranking up the music a bit, does the G-6700 cool down after you stop the music playing and just leave it idling, or does it still stay hot?

Is it just the heat sink fins that are hot or do you sense excessive heat coming from anywhere else on the case?

One thing that might be helpful is to obtain a meter that comes with a temperature probe so that you can take an actual reading of what the temperature is.

B/F

Hey Thanks for the advice,
Here are some more detailed symptoms. If I let the unit run for lets say an hour the heat sink gets hot to the touch but you can still put you hand on it. But if I crank the volume it only gets slightly hotter and it doesn't really cool down after you decrease the volume. If you just leave the unit running for a day with the speakers turned off and the only thing it is doing is idling on it still gets really hot. This is without even turning the speakers on. It is also doing this in a room that is at 60 degrees. That also seemed strange. The only other thing I should mention is that the heat sinks get hot to the touch but never so hot you cannot lay your hand on them. Also as for other hot areas the top of the unit gets pretty warm but other than that the chasse stays cool. But the heat sink and the top get pretty darn warm.

Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom