Excited - Dad whipped up six 400 cabinets - pics tomorrow

Speedbump71

Buried in speakers
I had a busted Fisher 400 cabinet I wanted my father to build a copy of (the style with the perforated masonite grill on top). He toyed around for a few weeks and then yesterday called and said it was just as easy to do six as it was to do one. I'll get them tomorrow.

Excited to see how they turned out. Pics when he arrives! :)

I had a busted Fisher 400 cabinet I wanted my father to build a copy of (the style with the perforated masonite grill on top). ....

Hmmmmm.....I'm not aware of any cab with pressed masonite for a grill. Every original piece I've come across had a gold/brass metal grill, no doubt to deal with the power tube temps that could well exceed 100*. You have a pic of the cab you're talking about? I'm curious.

These very well may have been aftermarket, but they look very nice. I have several 400s in cases like this. I also have the metal screen version you refer to.

IMG_9537.JPG
IMG_9538.JPG
IMG_9539.JPG
IMG_9540.JPG

I had a Scott 222b with a case with masonite grill like that. The heat didn't seem to bother it any.

That looks similar to the 1967 and on Solid State Cab's. Possible FISHER went with this design very late in the game.

First pics. No sanding, edge banding, or top grille yet. He is still getting the setup just right, so there are a few funky edges. Not bad for a prototype run.

IMG_9541.JPG

IMG_9542.JPG

IMG_9543.JPG

IMG_9544.JPG

IMG_9545.JPG

IMG_9546.JPG

Talented Dad you have there. Those look great. I'm working on my woodworking chops these days and hope to build some cabinets going forward. I'm sure I'll never knock out six good ones in a day!

I have my grille samples on the way. He used a broken one I had as his pattern, so things are off a mm or two here and there. Nothing we can't fix in sanding/stain/etc. I might even try an exotic veneer on the one with a bad edge after filling it. Headed to the woodworking store for edge banding tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom