EXCITED!!! Old/new Silver Pioneer PL-600

slimecity

I'm pretty stoked. My brother scored this off a woman who was going to bin this TT. He was going to use it and then he thought of me, his audio scavenger brother.....

Lid damage is evident - I may be able to glue it back together, no bits are missing.

This TT is absolutely stunning. Solid aluminium platter (I just sold a Pioneer M22 poweramp which was built the same way....)

Most features on this TT seem to work OK - platter spins (direct drive), arm works as it should - it has its own motor to raise, lower and move it. That is all working sweet. Plus start and stop features work OK. Apart from the fact it needs a MASSIVE cleanup, the speed button is stuck on 45. I presume the "up" position is 45 and the locked lowered position is 33? The button engages 33 when pressed but only momentarily, so the locking feature is kaput.

Anyone know how to access the switch? remove the platter and undo the screws on the black tray underneath? I may also have a look for the SM online.....

Anything else I need to do to this remarkable machine? Like re-greasing the works underneath? Check the tonearm belt (yes there is one apparently) for perishing?

Its a keeper for sure and I will be selling my Technics SL-1900 to make room for this one!

IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1411.JPG

Last edited:
Any ideas on what the dustcover is? I think clear acrylic? Its a very hard & clear plastic.

Bonding the break with paint thinner could fix it?

I use to have one it was mint, but the best thing I did on mine was changing the audio cables, as I didn't like the stock ones they seemed cheap. If you do a search a former member Hakaplan did a nice with pics on how to change the audio cables.It's an old thread

OK, have made some inroads with this TT but still some cosmetic issues.

Has anyone come across this aluminium corrosion before? And how to treat it? I may need to go back to the bare Al and then prime and try to match the color to recoat?

Plus this green crap on the chromed buttons doesnt really want to come off easy - I have tried iso and orange based cleaner on this to no avail, any suggestions?

Otherwise it all runs 100%! Amazing - the previous (incredibly neglectful) owner left the transit scrws in, so it wasnt even floating on the springs. I checked the arm mech and it was all working OK, even the belt was OK, the lube was still working. And a bit of cleaning and yes the speed button started working again.

But a couple last questions - do I lube the DD motor shaft, or not? The manual is silent on this.

Plus do I lube the arm up/down moving shaft?

thanks!

IMG_1428.jpg IMG_1429.jpg

Back
Top Bottom