Excitement for the Schiit Yggdrasil

StevenZ

Texas or nothin'
I'm not sure if a lot of AK members are aware of Schiit's upcoming DAC release, but I am definitely excited. I've been saving my pennies for a good DAC to pair with my Sonneteer Orton and I think the Yggy may just be the right one. Does anyone else plan on purchasing one?

Have been following, on other forums, the impressions of those who got to listen to it so far, and think I will order one when it becomes available for sale to the general public.

I think the designer said something to the effect that this is the DAC he has been wanting / waiting to build for twenty years.

Well, I figured I'd shoot an email to Schiit yesterday and see if they could tell me a rough estimate of when it might be released. This is the reply I got back.

"We do not currently have an exact release date for Yggdrasil. It will be up on our website when it is available."

So, not exactly what I was hoping, not even a general idea of which quarter or even this year, just a simple it'll be ready when it's ready.

I had read on another forum that the PCB's and parts had all been shipped to the build house as of March so I'm assuming that means with assembly/packaging, assuming this one is built in the USA it'll be ready some time in May or June? They seem to have drummed up a lot of interest and I hope to snag one of their units as soon as it's released.

I prefer this approach to product release over a certain other internet direct company that loves to make big announcements about upcoming products, naming names, dates, and prices, and usually missing all three. In their podcast. :D

I'm sure Schiit is hard at it as they bring this baby to market, and it'll get here when it's ready. the hard part is the waiting.

Last edited:
If they are as meticulous at QA as they are at design, it may take some time to get them out - but I bet it will sound really good! Any ideas on pricing?

Crap, of course the timing is bad. I just bought a new car yesterday because I thought the DAC wouldn't be out for another few months. *sigh* Oh well. Please report on it's sound when it arrives. I'll eventually get one, but right now isn't good.

Schiit Audio

I have the Schist Bifrost and the Loki (for DSD) and I am very happy with both. I have the Loki set up so it passes all content EXCEPT DSD through to the Bifrost. When I have DSD content, I just hit the button on the front of the Loki and I am in business. One of the best things about these products is the customer service at Schiit. They are always prompt and direct. I recommend them highly. I will be getting a Yggdrasil for my living room system.
Mike

I have a Bifrost as well. Won it in a raffle at RMAF. It's a great piece of gear, and I wish the Yggdrasil was within my financial means right now.

I'd want a Ragnarok integrated as well, but I'm in the "it needs a remote" camp on that one. The power switches on the rear don't bother me, but I hate getting up to change the volume.

They've said that remote control is on their minds for the future, so hopefully that change and improvements in my finances will align.

Ragnarok and volume control

Actually, I thought the Ragnarok's lack of a remote control is a strategy to help us live ten years longer by getting exercise in spite of any couch potato tendencies we might have... 8^)
Mike

I want one - bad. I'll wait till supply catches up with demand. Finally an R/2R dac at a reasonable price.

3rd party measurements at Head-Fi has confirmed that Schiit has achieved the mathematical near-impossible with their special filter. Minimum pre AND post-ringing, extreme low distortion, IMD, crosstalk and incredible dynamic range - without the typical treble roll-off. All these measurements are thought to be nearly unachievable with typical R2R. Schiit have vindicated themselves from skeptics of their unique and groundbreaking engineering.

Very happy with mine, and the DAC search is over for me.

More impressions over in the Modern Day Hi Fi forum.

Love the FAQ's. Here's a gem:

You guys are crazy!
Yes. We know that. And so are you. You're considering a $2,300, 25-lb product that does the same basic thing as a $0.32 chip in your iPhone.

3rd party measurements at Head-Fi has confirmed that Schiit has achieved the mathematical near-impossible with their special filter. Minimum pre AND post-ringing, extreme low distortion, IMD, crosstalk and incredible dynamic range - without the typical treble roll-off. All these measurements are thought to be nearly unachievable with typical R2R. Schiit have vindicated themselves from skeptics of their unique and groundbreaking engineering.

Pardon me, but what does this mean? I'm assuming you don't mean reel to reel.

Back
Top Bottom