Expander feature on C32

BillH2121

I'm in the process of acquiring a C32 and while looking through the owners manual, I noticed the expander feature. Can someone tell me if this is actually a useful feature - do you use it on all source playbacks, or only LPs? Is it difficult to properly use? I'm not sure I fully understand how and when to use it by reading the manual -thanks for any help.

Bill

I tried using the expander a few times and never really cared for it. Yes it did make some things sound a little better but setting the levels while in its case was more a PITA then i cared to deal with. 99.9% of the time I by passed the tone controls altogether and loved it !

I use it on 8-track tapes. I have had no problems setting the levels. You turn the expander clock-wise and adjust the volume accordingly as the volume drops as the expander increases. I rarely go past 9 or 10 o'clock on the expander. Just remember to set it flat when you switch sources.

The Expander feature is designed to improve the dynamic range on poorly recorded sources. 8 track tapes would be a perfect example of this type of recording. If you are happy with the quality of the recording you are listening to then you should not need to use it.
regrds
Bill

Thanks for the feedback guys. My concerns were those Grumpy mentioned - it seems like a major pain to have to open the cabinet for adjustments, especially if your having to make adjustments for different sources, or even the same source, like with different LPs. I guess it'll be something to play with on the new toy - until the new wears off. Thanks again.

Thats why i never put Pan Locs on mine. I just slid it out when it needed adjustment. Then I just stopped using it. Hit that Tone Bypass button and never looked back.

Bill

When I used the C32 I played with the expander, but never used it.

atuque

It's on the C 33.

There is a "Compander" control knob on the front of the C 33 - to compress or expand during recording or listening. I used a little compression once when making some dance hits party tapes - cassttes for a friend. Played around with the expander on some FM stations. A little goes a lonng way.

Other than that, I never used it.

Well, unfortunately I will not be getting the C32 from styler as we had agreed. Styler informed me today that, nothwithstanding our agreement to trade my MC2125 for his C32, he had decided to keep it. Read the details in the Feedback forum. I hope this kind of behavior isn't found too often on this Board - it creates the kind of distrust that can ruin trades and sales among Boardmembers.

Back
Top Bottom