Experience ordering vintage manuals from Mike Thomason at Vintage Audio Manuals

Received an E-mail from PayPal today stating "We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your favor. If the seller's account has insufficient funds to complete the refund owed to you, please be assured that we will take appropriate action against the seller's account, which may include limitation of the seller's account privileges". Also according to the case details Mike never did respond back to PayPal to address the claims. Just now checked my PayPal account and the charges have been reversed (vintageaudiomanuals.com has just sent you $62.00 USD with PayPal). Apparently there were funds in Mike's PayPal account which enabled me to get my money back but his unresponsiveness remains unexplained.

I ordered a manual in mid December. Three emails and no replys. Even sent a USPS letter two weeks ago, and no reply. Has anybody heard from this guy yet. I have purchased several manuals in the past and always got great service. Something has come off the rails in Medford Oregon. He may need some help. Mike has performed a unique service for the audio community. If I knew where to reach out and offer help, I would. I suppose my $20 payment (and no manual) is some form of help.

I put in an order for a manual and haven't heard from him. Something must be up.He always provided great service in the past.
I hope he is fine!

Too bad. Sounds like he hasn't been able to get back online since his computer issues and now has an inbox full of fire!

I've purchased a TON of manuals from Mike over the years and have always been very pleased with the quality of the service and the quality of the manuals themselves.

Mike, hope you're OK and able to get back up and running!

Not making a single response to e-mails is completely ridiculous unless he's

1. Dead
2. So sick he's stuck in bed in a hospital with no one to help send emails to back to customers explaining situation.

Fisher Doc used to be the Cat's pajamas, but do a google search or two now a days. I wouldn't send him a $5 plastic transistor pocket radio now.

While I've never dealt with this guy, I don't think folks should be so quick to cut him slack. :no: Sending a simple e-mail letting people know what is going on takes 30 seconds. You could even make a template and mass reply to complaints explaining whatever the delay is. A simple google search reveals that that Nov 10' isn't the first time this has happened. There are complaints as far back as Feb 10' according to this thread.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79969.0

Of course let's hope #1 or #2 isn't going on with him right now but you'd think something would of made it's way through the grapevine if it did...

Update?

Anyone have any kind of update here?

Website still up; No news posted on website; E-Mails continue to be unanswered; no telephone number listed...

I hope he's OK, seemed like a decent guy, as far as I could tell. I had to look at the date, my last purchase from him was a Tandberg 10X manual, that he mailed on 6/22/2010, so we know he was OK then, at least. :scratch2:

Experience with Mike Thomason

Mike responds quickly if you have something he wants but is unresponsive when you follow through and unreliable when he gives you his word. I offered to trade several pristine copies of manuals to Mike in return for copies a couple he said he had. He was very prompt in getting back to me and enthusiastic to do the trade. I sent him the copies of the manuals and have never heard from him since despite repeated attempts to contact him. As far as I am concerned he is dishonest. Luckily, at some point in all our lives we pass on and face a final judgement. I wonder what he will answer when asked the question "Why did you do this?" BTW, I kept all the e-mail messages so I can back up my interaction with him.

Last contct I had was back on May. I had misplaced the two manuals for my Yamaha CD-1 so Mike sent me the PDFs of both.

He did not have to do this but sent them along promptly when I inquired about replacemnt cost.

I'm glad I don't need hard copies. I'd hate to do biz with a person like this. I've been following this for a while and I don't envy anyone shafted here.

vintageaudiomanuals.com comes up as:

"This domain is parked, pending renewal, or has expired.
Please contact the domain provider with questions."

vintageaudiomanuals.com comes up as:

"This domain is parked, pending renewal, or has expired.
Please contact the domain provider with questions."

Which tends to make it sound like Mike has met with some misfortune, but it seems human nature always wants to assume the worst of others.

Which tends to make it sound like Mike has met with some misfortune, but it seems human nature always wants to assume the worst of others.

That is really to bad.Mike made some damn fine service manuals. Better than the originals in all the manuals I've gotten from him in the past.

Agreed. I kept checking the website periodically hoping to read an update that he had been ill, but fully recovered and back on the job...

Back
Top Bottom