Expierence with my new MC 152

I've got a similar situation. I need an amp for a bedroom system. The speakers will be either KEF LS50s or B&W 805s. So far, I've looked at the MC152 and the Bryston 3B3. I've ruled out a larger McIntosh primarily because I'd rather have something that didn't require a forklift to move around. Anyway, I guess I'll be buying something sometime soon. If I buy the McIntosh. I'll come back and write a report.

Last edited:
I ordered the McIntosh MC152 today. Hopefully it will arrive Monday or Tuesday and I can give some sort of report shortly.

I'm considering replacing my MC352 with an MC152. I adore the 352, but it needs to have the lights fixed, and I've been dragging my feet on this for years now as the thing is so inconvenient to move around. The 152 would solve both the occasional maintenance problem and the hard to move problem.

The last thing holding me back is how fantastic and "big" the MC352 sounds and worrying I'd give up something, but the blind listening tests in this thread basically address my specific concerns about "space" and such.

Am I ready to give up having that massive amp in my living room, though? My wife actually loves the way it looks and might not let me get rid of it!

I love my 47/152 combo....I rather sell my Accuphase E470 before I sell my Mc combo.

rolltide...have you considered converting your 352 to a LED kit sold at Audio Classics? A much cheaper alternative.

IMG_1613.JPG

Last edited:
rolltide...have you considered converting your 352 to a LED kit sold at Audio Classics? A much cheaper alternative.
View attachment 828976

Heh, I sure have! Years ago I attempted to install the kit myself, broke it in the process, paid a couple grand to have it fixed, and the lights have been the wrong color ever since. We'll file this under "sore subjects". :) Audio Classics no longer sells the LED kit, FWIW.

Well, a local dealer offered me a fantastic trade-in price for my 352 that was nearly what I'd originally paid for it, so I ordered the 152.

Gosh, I'm going to have a matched set of current-model McIntosh components. I'm such a grown up!

Well, a local dealer offered me a fantastic trade-in price for my 352 that was nearly what I'd originally paid for it, so I ordered the 152.

Gosh, I'm going to have a matched set of current-model McIntosh components. I'm such a grown up!

Congrats!

Any stories to report yet? :naughty:
The MC152 is rock solid since the day it arrived. I knew something was missing with my previous amp. The bass is more fleshed out with the Mac. I believe this was lightly used when I bought it from Audio Classics. There wasn't any break in needed if you believe in such things. I have it mated with the C52 preamp. I have always liked the idea of the Mac combo of amp and preamp.

For my purposes 150wpc is sufficient. The amp will play plenty loud if called upon. If you are on the fence, go ahead and spend the kid's inheritance money. Buy the MC152.

I'm very tempted to trade my MA6600 + D100 combination in towards a C47 + MC152. On the surface it seems like a lateral move (and it probably is) but the reviews for both the C47 and the MC152 have been very good and I don't think I'll miss the 50 WPC I'd be giving up.

I'm torn between doing this or picking up an MX119 so that I can dabble with 3.1 (I have an MC2100 I could use along with the MA6600). The MX119 has two features I really like - a subwoofer out and a loudness control!

If I keep reading threads like this I'll be an MC152 owner soon ...

-Matt

I'm very tempted to trade my MA6600 + D100 combination in towards a C47 + MC152. On the surface it seems like a lateral move (and it probably is) but the reviews for both the C47 and the MC152 have been very good and I don't think I'll miss the 50 WPC I'd be giving up.

I'm torn between doing this or picking up an MX119 so that I can dabble with 3.1 (I have an MC2100 I could use along with the MA6600). The MX119 has two features I really like - a subwoofer out and a loudness control!

If I keep reading threads like this I'll be an MC152 owner soon ...

-Matt

Having replaced my D100 with a C47, it's not a lateral move at all. In my case I was using it as a preamp as well as a DAC/source, so I was changing more variables then you would be, but I think you'd be very happy with the upgrade. You definitely won't miss the 50 watts, as I didn't miss the 200 watts I gave up moving down from the MC352.

Having previously owned an MX119, I wouldn't suggest that as your best move in 2017. Good gear, but very dated at this point.

Having replaced my D100 with a C47, it's not a lateral move at all. In my case I was using it as a preamp as well as a DAC/source, so I was changing more variables then you would be, but I think you'd be very happy with the upgrade. You definitely won't miss the 50 watts, as I didn't miss the 200 watts I gave up moving down from the MC352.

Having previously owned an MX119, I wouldn't suggest that as your best move in 2017. Good gear, but very dated at this point.

Thanks for the feedback rolltide. So it sounds like the C47 was a noticeable upgrade over the D100 in your case, which is good to hear. I've been very happy with the D100, so adding a perhaps even better sounding C47 that includes some useful features like HT bypass would be nice.

-Matt

Thanks for the feedback rolltide. So it sounds like the C47 was a noticeable upgrade over the D100 in your case, which is good to hear. I've been very happy with the D100, so adding a perhaps even better sounding C47 that includes some useful features like HT bypass would be nice.

-Matt

Matt: The C47 may be a superior sounding alternative to your D100 / MA6600 but I would not conclude that to be the case based on rolltide' experience. Note that rolltide was using the D100 as digital preamp, whereas you are using it as only a DAC into the preamp section of the MA6600. Most user reviews of the D100 prefer its sonic performance when used as only a DAC connected to a separate preamp as opposed to the D100 as a digital preamp.
The C47 is a full featured analogue preamp and of course includes a newer DAC which can process DSD or files higher that the D100' limit of 192/32, so yeah it might sound better, but I wouldn't compare it to the D100 as a stand-alone preamp. I could be wrong but I just don't get the impression the preamp section of the D100 is of the same standard as the separate analogue preamps containing a DAC. This is just my impression; I personally have never tried my D100 as a preamp.

Hi Mortis - you may be right on the D100 (and you probably are). However, I have the upgrade bug at the moment which is hard to shake, and one of the things I've been wanting to experiment with is HT, which is challenging since the MA6600 does not have an HT bypass feature. To be clear, I'm not looking for a full 7.1 (or 21.6 or whatever it is now) type setup; just something simple like 3.1 which will allow me to emphasize the vocals a little while watching movies. The C47 will do this and provide flexibility in the future if I decide to try different amps.

-Matt

Matt: can't argue with the pleasure of swapping out for newer gear. It's at the very least a lateral move and likely a bit better; plus as you say, you'll have the HT pass-through.

I don't disagree that the D100 is a better DAC then preamp, I loved the simplicity of a source and preamp in one but it never quite competed with "real preamps".

I'd still predict there would be a quite noticeable and positive differences in going from a D100 + MA6600 to a C47 + MC152. Also, while I should be too old to say things like "the last preamplifier you ever need", the C47 checks every reasonable box. Using it with the integrated DAC sounds fantastic. Cosmetically, I really like the identical sized boxes of the C47/152 combo, and I like having the modern blue-glass meters that will never need any maintenance.

So I am thinking now that I have a mac C220 tube pre amp that i might replace my Parasound A21 amp with a 152. 250 watts per down to 150 to drive my large Bryston "Mini"Ts. Love the Mac sound using Genalex Gold Lions in the line stage over my Parasound JC2 pre amp and I am wondering about how the 152 would sound compared to the A21.The A21 sounds damn good but...the bug is biting..lol

Back
Top Bottom