Expierence with my new MC 152

So I am thinking now that I have a mac C220 tube pre amp that i might replace my Parasound A21 amp with a 152. 250 watts per down to 150 to drive my large Bryston "Mini"Ts. Love the Mac sound using Genalex Gold Lions in the line stage over my Parasound JC2 pre amp and I am wondering about how the 152 would sound compared to the A21.The A21 sounds damn good but...the bug is biting..lol
You may search this forum for "McIntosh vs Parasound" (or Google even) for discussion in regards. I know I've seen such comparisons involving the A21 but forget the specific model of McIntosh compared.

Generally speaking, owners of the MC152 have been ecstatic with it.

So I am thinking now that I have a mac C220 tube pre amp that i might replace my Parasound A21 amp with a 152. 250 watts per down to 150 to drive my large Bryston "Mini"Ts. Love the Mac sound using Genalex Gold Lions in the line stage over my Parasound JC2 pre amp and I am wondering about how the 152 would sound compared to the A21.The A21 sounds damn good but...the bug is biting..lol
I owned the Parasound A21 for a short time. I always felt that something was missing. I sold it and purchased the MC152 instead. It was a revelation. The McIntosh bass is more solid and firm. You won't miss the power difference at all. I also have the McIntosh C52 so both units work out very well together. I would advise you to take the plunge.

Hi Mamrak1,

Are you still enjoying your C52 + MC152 combination?

I've got a C52 and am currently using an older MC7100 until I decide exactly which amp I want to purchase. I'm torn between the MC152 or possibly an MC275. The MC7100 is doing great so there hasn't been much urgency. This is actually the second 7100 I've owned now in the past 10 years and I have to admit that it is a great amp. However, the MC152 has caught my eye and seems to get fantastic reviews. I also like that it does not weigh 90 lbs. like the 302/452 (which are overkill for my needs).

-Matt

Last edited:
Hi Mamrak1,

Are you still enjoying your C52 + MC152 combination?

I've got a C52 and am currently using an older MC7100 until I decide exactly which amp I want to purchase. I'm torn between the MC152 or possibly an MC275. The MC7100 is doing great so there hasn't been much urgency. This is actually the second 7100 I've owned now in the past 10 years and I have to admin that it is a great amp. However, the MC152 has caught my eye and seems to get fantastic reviews. I also like that it does not weigh 90 lbs. like the 302/452 (which are overkill for my needs).

-Matt
Yes, I still have the C52/MC152 combination. I purchased the MC152 for a number of reasons. First, the larger Mac amps would not fit in my rack. The Parasound A21 I owned previously wasn't cutting it. There was plenty of power but I felt something was missing, mainly the bass was weak. I also wanted a McIntosh amp to compliment the C52 preamp. 150 watts is ample for my listening room. As I am older, the weight issue is a concern. Amps over 100 pounds are out of the picture these days. I hope that covers it.

Excellent. Thank you for the quick response Mamrak1! I assume you are still happy with your purchase of the MC152? Is there anything about the MC152 that has disappointed you?

-Matt

No, I can't say I have any disappointments. I will tell you I bought my amp at Audio Classics and I didn't pay list price. The amp looked like new fresh out of the box.

Whats great about Mac amps is if you can tolerate just a momentary once in a while flash from the Power Guard lights its equivalent to everyone else's power amps at twice the rating. So a 152 is some one else's 400 watt per channel amp. And if things do get wild you will be protecting your speakers where the other guy will be generating tons of driver destroying power.

Whats great about Mac amps is if you can tolerate just a momentary once in a while flash from the Power Guard lights its equivalent to everyone else's power amps at twice the rating. So a 152 is some one else's 400 watt per channel amp. And if things do get wild you will be protecting your speakers where the other guy will be generating tons of driver destroying power.
This is certainly a point that is easier to understand whilst owning a McIntosh power amp. The result being a higher average playback level than competitive designs of similar power.

FYI, HiFiWorld measured power output of the MC152 in 2015 and got a max of 253 watts into an 8 ohm load. Not too shabby.

Surprisingly, they measured 225 watts under a 4 ohm load. What tap they used was not given.

The best exact measured power results has always the italian Magazine "Audio Review". They measured one year ago the MC 152.
Here you can see the result: http://www.mpielectronic.com/NewsFiles/McIntosh_MC152_AudioReview.pdf

As you can see, impulse power on the 8 Ohm tap for 4 Ohms are 296 Watts. Continous power on the 8 Ohm tap for 4 Ohms are 145 Watts.
Impulse power on the 8 Ohm tap for 8 Ohms are 233 Watts. Continous power on the 8 Ohm tap for 8 Ohms are 190 Watts.

Impulse power on the 4 Ohm tap for 4 Ohms are 213 Watts. Continous power on the 4 Ohm tap for 4 Ohms are 178 Watts.
Impulse power on the 4 Ohm tap for 8 Ohms are 130 Watts. Continous power on the 4 Ohm tap for 8 Ohms are 111 Watts

So 400 Watts for 4 Ohms are not possible with the MC 152.
But I still love my MC 152 till today. I have hundreds of amps but only two amps are on display in my house, and the MC 152 is one of them, the other is MC 601.
So you can imagine how good I think of the overall performance (sound, design, daily use, reliability, weight) of the MC152...

Best regards
Martin

Last edited:
Martin,

Thank you so much for your wonderful reviews, tests and opinions. Very much appreciated.

Martin,

I found this thread recently, and it motivated me to look into the amp further. Wound up getting one, and it is as good as advertised. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

ok..so here I am at the end of September and I cannot even know where to begin on the different gear and tubes I messed with.What's my set up now..Still the C220 only with EH cryo treated tubes, Manley Chinook with EH tubes as well, Harbeth Compac7 ES 3's, and yes, an MC 152 is in my rack going toe to toe with the Parasound A21.So far the Mac is very smooth and detailed, nice, the Parasound, detailed, powerful at low levels, punchy bass, especially with the EH cryo tubes.The Harbeths are 6 ohms vs the 4 ohms of the Mini T's. Both are power hungry speakers.The Mini' t's are gone, sold shortly after the arrival of the Harbeth's. Will the Parasound be dealt the same fate? I'm not noticing any sonic differences using the 8 ohm output when compared to the 4 ohm output but decided to just leave now on the 8's as the tests results on this thread show more power through the 8 ohm terminals.There is definitely a difference in sound provided by these two amps. right now, being used to what I hear from the Parasound, it has the edge over the Mac.It has that extra oomph that makes the harbeths jump out at you. Of course I have been tweaking this amp for 2 years, and with the harbeths for 3 months. The Mac has been in house for 3 days. I did get it from THEMUSICROOMAUDIO.com so I have 30 days to return it should I go that way. It was lightly used and they gave me a great deal on a used LFD LE MK IV I snatched up locally as a trade in towards the Mac. They are also very interested in my A21 should I want to sell that to them. So just when I thought I had some free time, here I go again swapping inputs and outputs and cabling and playing lps, cds over and over..lol. The Mac is beautifully built and quite heavy at 75lbs.The packaging is overkill which assures it's safe delivery. That in itself is a job to unpack it. I will be updating periodically.

I am using the MC152 for surround duty in a fairly large HT Atmos setup and I couldn’t be more pleased with its performance and sonics matched to my trio of MC601s.

At first I thought the 150w was not going to be enough for the explosive dynamics in action sequences but I have never seen the meters go full tilt, nor have I seen the power guards light up and this is at reference level.

Very happy with the amp and considering even adding more to replace my mc205 for height channels.

I am using the MC152 for surround duty in a fairly large HT Atmos setup and I couldn’t be more pleased with its performance and sonics matched to my trio of MC601s.

At first I thought the 150w was not going to be enough for the explosive dynamics in action sequences but I have never seen the meters go full tilt, nor have I seen the power guards light up and this is at reference level.

Very happy with the amp and considering even adding more to replace my mc205 for height channels.
Once you have Atmos, no going back ...

I have a MC152 connected to a C2600 powering a pair of SF Guarneri Evolution. Primary source is a Clearaudio Innovation Basic TT. I'm thinking of making an upgrade to my system. With a fairly small room (17sqm), would I do well to upgrade my power amp to the MC302? Else, I'm also thinking of adding an outboard phono preamp. Maybe the MP1100 or someone is making me audition a TW Acustic RPS 100. Advise much appreciated.

I have a MC152 connected to a C2600 powering a pair of SF Guarneri Evolution. Primary source is a Clearaudio Innovation Basic TT. I'm thinking of making an upgrade to my system. With a fairly small room (17sqm), would I do well to upgrade my power amp to the MC302? Else, I'm also thinking of adding an outboard phono preamp. Maybe the MP1100 or someone is making me audition a TW Acustic RPS 100. Advise much appreciated.
Is the MC152 not powerful enough? Are you flashing the Power Guard lamps often?

Back
Top Bottom