Explaining Audio Hobby.............

Larry-that is the only thing you have ever said that has pissed me off.I'm sincerely hoping that that comment is nothing more than an undeserved wise-assed remark.

Otherwise,read some history books or talk to any of our former enemies.The latter may be difficult,as very few have ever survived an encounter with a Canadian Infantry unit.
And while our army may be small and rather ill-equipped,you don't ever want to be our enemy.

Your friend, (and a Canadian Light Infantryman,ret'd)

Art
He never watched "The Devil's Brigade"

I have a friend who always finds a way to say, "You have so many records, why do you need so many records, why don't you sell some?"
Meanwhile he has more guns than the Canadian Army.

I get that kind of reaction with the audio stuff in general. "Why do you have this stuff? If you make the mistake of telling them some of it is worth money their immediate response is "YOU SHOULD SELL IT !!" (no matter you just told them you enjoy it.....you should sell it anyway) Meanwhile they have a house full of "contrived collectibles" of all sorts that can't actually be used for anything and that they'd never consider parting with. Ugh....

People are like this with every hobby. My wife has an entire closest full of expensive beauty, and hygiene products. I don't understand it, but I know better than to question it.

I grew up in NYC, when my friends visit me they want me to take them shooting. Then they ask why I need more than one gun.

I remember when I first bought my first stereo system back when I was twelve, my grandfather that was a product of the greatest generation said to me....."Boy, when god was passing out brains, you thought he said trains.....and didn't want any !!"

Your either "enthralled" (by way of the true meaning of the word) by sound or your not. If someone doesn't get that chill and goose bumps when they first hear a killer system, they could never understand ! Possession obsession is not the same...

Thanks for the laugh Larry.
I think I've talked to those same people when I try to explain why I only drive old trucks and cars.

By what authority, specifically, am I required to justify my passion? I enjoy records, tube amplifiers, and several other oddball hobbies, and I feel no further explanation is required besides "I enjoy it." Too many people don't enjoy their lives, they don't have any concept of what life is about. Life is for the living!

The wife reminds me it is cheaper than a girlfriend.
(Maybe not quite as fun, but cheaper)

Thanks for the laugh Larry that resonates with all of us I am sure.

mmm

I say that I have a hobby and what is your hobby? No one ever responds with their hobby. To which I say "hobbies enrich life, you need to have a hobby too." Often my wife would tell her sisters how crazy I am with my hobby. This is true ... at least I have one. I then point out that my buying and selling behavior results in a hobby that costs nothing.

After 10 years of criticism, my wife now realizes that I have a point. We all need hobbies. She now hikes on a weekly basis.

Her hobby is actually better than mine. Does this mean that I am a positive influence on my wife?

No.

Whatever.

Canada has an ARMY:naughty:?!?!?!??!?!?!? Is it like the Swiss Navy?!?!?!??! :D
No not quite like the Swiss we stand at boarders with blue helmets and be very polite to whoever tries to fight with the other side of the boarder. It seems to work very well hard to hate a polite Canadian

Q: So I was looking at your record collection and I noticed something.
A: Really, what's that?
Q: I have a lot of those too. On my iPod.
A: Great.
Q: So why do you need all of this?
A: I think it sounds better.
Q: No, it sounds the same. Here, listen!

Hehehehe.
Exactly Larry. imagine me, with a lot of some fisher, Dyna, Scott, Heathkit, stromberg, bell ..... among others tube amps and receivers .. in Manaus - Brazil, in the Amazon region..
My wife says this:
And why so many old gadgets ???
They all do the same function right ???
Why do you like this ???
Why do not you sell it ???
So you have so many old records???

Many friends think alike.
Thanks for the laughs ... because this is exactly what happens here ...

I enjoyed this thread.

Lots if people think my vintage equipment and my record collection is interesting and many enjoy listening to it. I have only converted one person into the hobby. Seems like you have to have it in your roots from childhood although there are a some millennial generation people involved.

Some people collect cameras, watches, baseball cards, cars, etc. We collect audio gear.

Back
Top Bottom