External DAC dilemma

made in china

I recently purchased a new Pioneer PD-F1009 301 disc changer with the intention of using an external DAC. My goal is to avoid using my current way of playing my music, MP3, and get back to using more traditional, better sounding ways of playing digital music. I have a dilemma however. I can not find an external DAC that makes me very "happy" (by specs). Most I have seen are Asian made (indifferent), highly rated by users (nice), but don't tout a "Burr Brown" chip (stuck on Burr Brown for some reason!). Also, I am somewhat dubious of a Chinese manufacturer's claims of using the "best" components, China is probably more capable of making fake items than they are of making good, "real" items (I said prob, I heard good things about their DACs).

Which has led me to: Either go ahead and buy a ZERO DAC, Zhaolu DAC or Keces DAC off of eBay. OR, I have considered building my own DAC using a Burr-Brown chip. Has anyone here attempted to build there own DAC? I was thinking of going all-out and building one that utilized internal battery power for cleanest DC. I have no problems getting multilayer PCBs manufactured, and I am quite capable of doing PCB layout. HOWEVER, it would help me greatly if anyone has any experience on this as it would be my first attempt at high end audio. I'd really like to just use a known good circuit design and layout and build my own PCB.

I might start some heated discussion here, but my experience with several external DAC's (PS Audio, Northstar Design, DIY from a friend) is that the differences are small, very small. The diferences that there are are IMHO not caused by the chip (Burr Brown, Crystal, Philips, you name 'em) but in the analogue output stage.
If you want some examples from DIY DAC's, just Google. You will find plenty, in many sorts, shapes and prices.

I've owned a number of DACs, but never have found it useful to judge them by specs or component lists. What's your budget? Especially used, there are quite a few options under $500.

Look for a used California Audio Labs Sigma II tube-DAC, or any other tube DAC for that matter. Adding a little tube magic to digital sound really smooths thing out nicely.

Thanks for the input. As for budget, according to my wife it is $0:tears:

I am very intrigued by the tube DAC's. My PD-F1009 has a 1 bit DAC, I finally heard it last night for the first time. It sounds tolerable, but I definitely want something better. I think the most I could possibly spend would be like $300.

I'll use the suggestions from here to search eBay and CL from time to time.

Just to parrot what has already been said, shopping by DAC chip alone isn't very effective way of choosing a good one.

The highly touted Benchmark DAC 1 uses Analog Devices DAC, if memory serves me, and Wolfson DACs seem to be becoming more popular.

But, again, the overall design and what is around the DAC chip is almost certainly more influential on the sound than the DAC chip itself.

I don't know if it is Burr Brown or not, but, I listen through an Ack! dAck! V1.? that uses battery power.

Since the batteries don't run down at the same rate the output is capacitor coupled. This leads to capacitor rolling to your favorite flavor.

I've enjoyed it. You might.

Just to parrot what has already been said, shopping by DAC chip alone isn't very effective way of choosing a good one.

The highly touted Benchmark DAC 1 uses Analog Devices DAC, if memory serves me, and Wolfson DACs seem to be becoming more popular.

But, again, the overall design and what is around the DAC chip is almost certainly more influential on the sound than the DAC chip itself.

How about just pumping the 1bit DAC of my CDP thru a tube preamp? Just curious...or is the 1 bit DAC+solid state preamp in the CDP just so crappy?

Asking the wrong guy for recommendations on DACs. I've tried things a few different ways, including the Benchmark DAC 1, and none have sounded enough better to me to spend the $ on them.

The only one I kept was a DAC evaluation board from Analog Devices because it didn't cost that much (< $200)...and I waited through repeated delays and excuses, wrote one letter to AD Senior Management asking them for help to speed up the delivery, then virtually 1 year to the day later, it finally arrived.

Putting your CDP output through a tube preamp or tube buffer just might take the edge off if that's what you're looking to do.

I have had a couple of Musical Fidelity Tri Vista DAC's and they are very good. They do not last long on the used market. A good reputation. Usually from $900-$1100 is about right.

For what it's worth, no new DAC will have anything made by Burr Brown in it because they were taken over by Texas Instruments several years ago. I would assume TI still offers equivalent quality products, but they won't be branded Burr Brown any more.

I like Apogee Mini DAC. Street price is about $800.

minidac_fp_sm.jpg
minidac_rp.jpg

Second the suggestion of the Cal Audio Sigma II DAC...I got mine used for $250...great price/value in a tube DAC...

I have the PS Audio DAC with the Cullen mods - I had the stock version first then got the mods . Not the least expensive model, but it sounds great to me.

I have a Bresford DAC also. It is pretty good for the money. You should check that one out as well.

Hi Made in China: I have three suggestions for you. Go over to TNT Audio and read a three part series on digital audio. Apparently, plugging in external DAC's produces issues of its own.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diginterf1_e.html

Then run over to DIY Paradise and look at the recent Monica-3 DAC. This is a very affordable, assembled unit ready to play. It can be used with a battery if that's what you want. It comes in a USB version as well as the normal port. Yeo, the proprietor, will answer any questions you have. BTW, I have used the Monica -2 and liked it. It was excellent value for the money. By all accounts so far, Monica-3 is better. You can read a review of Monica-2 on TNT to get an idea.

Another affordable effort is from Scott Nixon. He has a kit that really interests me.

If you are handy under the hood, there are tweaks and mods for CD and DVD players that could perhaps push your unit up to where you can live it.

Back
Top Bottom