F-5 builders: Plans on building B-1?

Yep a power supply would be great.
What do you have in mind?
I'm working on just that issue.
Wall wart,make one myself,tap off the big boy powering the amp but batteries are not on the list.I'm interested to see what you do.
This is just me talking but I think a wall wart is the way to go.Ten bucks or so and its done.Like this one:http://www.newark.com/triad-magnetics/wau16-500/power-supply-ext-plug-in-16v-8w/dp/96M0304
Rectify it up from 16v to 22.5 or so?
Whatdayathink?

Last edited:
I think my voltages were 19.7 or so. I've read others are running higher voltages and posting good results. It's easy enough to grab a wallwart and see what you get. Laptop supplies are abundant, also.

So like the manual says...18~24 volts with no audible difference?
westend what amp and source are you using?
Thanks

I'm running an old Toshiba laptop power supply I had in the junk box. It's pretty much spot on 18V, and seems to work just fine.

I'm running an old Toshiba laptop power supply I had in the junk box. It's pretty much spot on 18V, and seems to work just fine.

Never thought of that Todd. Did you need to hard wire it in or did you have the mating receptacle? THAT would be cool.

I ordered the appropriate receptacle from DigiKey. It was two or three bucks.

The Toshiba PS I used had a fairly standard plug on it...don't recall exactly, but I think it was 5mm od x 2.1mm id.

Last edited:
So like the manual says...18~24 volts with no audible difference?
westend what amp and source are you using?
Thanks
I used a Pass F5 and DVDP player. I should have hooked a TT to it just to see but I have other projects to bring up to the "Half-finished" status.:D

Never thought of that Todd. Did you need to hard wire it in or did you have the mating receptacle? THAT would be cool.
Hey Jeff, those female jacks are available everywhere, Radio Shack has them, too.

N Pass uses basically the same thing for review samples. The PS he uses is a medical device supply but is the same tech as a laptop supply. The Lambda supply I'm using is a Class 2, switching supply, also, IIRC.

I notice on certain auction sites you can get a lap-top power supply fairly cheap, the ones I looked at were 19 volts, perfect. That should do for now, until I can figure out how to use Peter's power supply boards with regulators, I think it would make an excellent regulated over kill power supply. Frankly I think the lap top power supply will do fine. It will be compared, such that I can to the use of dual 9 volt batteries. The batteries sound terrific and are dead quiet. They just dont last real long, and I dont think I want to fool with chargers?:scratch2:

Russellc

Just thinking "out loud" here. Up north in the mines they have big iron ore trucks that have electric motors on each wheel that run off of batteries that are constantly being charged by the truck's diesel engine.

Can something like that be done? Run the pre off of battery and have a charging circuit that kicks in when the system is off (or low)?

Just thinking "out loud" here. Up north in the mines they have big iron ore trucks that have electric motors on each wheel that run off of batteries that are constantly being charged by the truck's diesel engine.

Can something like that be done? Run the pre off of battery and have a charging circuit that kicks in when the system is off (or low)?

Sure...I do that with my DAC. It runs on two 12V sealed batteries. I have a toggle switch rigged up that in one position connects the batteries to the DAC and turns it on, and in the other position shuts off the DAC and connects batteries to the charger.

QUOTE=Russellc;3843954]Just a heads up, the Pearl II boards are available over on the Pass Diy site!:banana:

Russellc[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I faxed my order in this afternoon. I will have a Pass phono preamp and no phono! :lmao:

Progress update on the B1. I am still waiting for some metal working tools from Enco to finish it up.

b1buffer006.jpg

b1buffer003.jpg
[

b1buffer009.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, I faxed my order in this afternoon. I will have a Pass phono preamp and no phono! :lmao:

If you have any interest in getting a phono, I'd do the same thing. As you know, there has been huge interest over on DIYAudio and the buying will be fast and furious. I dont know how many are available, but you can still get the B-1 boards with matched fets and its been for sale a long time. I waited too long to take any chances with these Pearl II boards.

And very nice box there 1MOR!

Russellc

I just received an Email from Pass, my Pearl 2 boards and matching JFETS have shipped. That was quick!!:banana:

Last edited:
Power entry is

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=CP-011A-ND&x=19&y=21

Power supply 24v wall wart

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=T994-P5P-ND&x=26&y=25

Hope to get the board attached to the case and the off board components wired to the PCB this weekend. Just got a hardware, drills and taps order from Enco delivered. Need to make a few more chips. Then off to Radio Shack for some stick on feet.

I'm thinking of something very similar, or a lap top supply.
Thanks for the part numbers, I may just order those. If I really feel the need to change, I could later.

Russellc

Russ, there are different sizes for the wall wart output plugs. Make sure you match up the panel jack size to the w.w. output plug size.

I had planned on building a small regulated PS for the B1 if I was impressed with the sound. Then, I got caught up in the symmetrical psu B1 buffer GB.
Have you seen this? Its available with 18 volt output.

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/hps1.html

I bought a bunch of Russian caps to try with the B1 and want to try some different resistors in the signal path.

Russ, there are different sizes for the wall wart output plugs. Make sure you match up the panel jack size to the w.w. output plug size.

I had planned on building a small regulated PS for the B1 if I was impressed with the sound. Then, I got caught up in the symmetrical psu B1 buffer GB.
Have you seen this? Its available with 18 volt output.

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/hps1.html

I bought a bunch of Russian caps to try with the B1 and want to try some different resistors in the signal path.

No, I hadnt seen that one, looks nice. I have thought of using the Peter Daniels Universal power supply cards like I used on the F-5. I think you only one need of the boards. On the thread "Universal Power supply" in the group buy, he shows it with on board regulators ( not for the F-5, but another project) and it looks like it would be sweet.

The one you are showing is certainly reasonable, and one could experiment with different voltages. A few builders maintain improvement with 24 volts.

I am also caught up in one of those buys, the one that will shut off on 7/19?
Seems like I saw a blog or something that got me to thinking that just the power supply part of the board may be interesting? I've got boards from years ago that I havent populated, the original Zen, Bride of Zen pre amp, and others. Now Ive got the group buy board, and the Pearl II boards coming. That will occupy me for some time.

Russellc

Last edited:
I'm thinking of something very similar, or a lap top supply.
Thanks for the part numbers, I may just order those. If I really feel the need to change, I could later.

Russellc
Hey,
If you want a 24 v. wallwart, let me know. I was just messing around with a couple of them for my "Yardstick" string trimmer. I have an extra one.

Back
Top Bottom