F-5 builders: Plans on building B-1?

I suppose I could read all about it, but is there supposed to be something special about the shunt regulated supply vs a decent external supply, or is it more a matter of convenience and or cost?
I A-B'd Efud's shunt reg B1 against my own stocker and the shunt won. It seemed to have a little more dynamics.

There's supposed to be something about the "shunt" regulated supply, I'm not sure what.

russellc
See above

Got this back on track! This is where I left off.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3844177&postcount=212

Wired it up and, it sounded great through the left channel. After doing voltage checks, continuity checks and another visual check of wiring and solder joints, I was unable to bring up the right channel. It was most likely a bad cap or JFET, as those were the only parts that I could not check. I had ordered two boards and two sets of matched JFETS. I stuffed a second board and she works!

I have 18 and 24 volt wall warts and need to see which sounds best. She gets moved to the big rig tomorrow, driving the ST-70.
Nice build. Let us know what you find for the sweet spot regarding voltages.

Got this back on track! This is where I left off.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3844177&postcount=212

Wired it up and, it sounded great through the left channel. After doing voltage checks, continuity checks and another visual check of wiring and solder joints, I was unable to bring up the right channel. It was most likely a bad cap or JFET, as those were the only parts that I could not check. I had ordered two boards and two sets of matched JFETS. I stuffed a second board and she works!

I have 18 and 24 volt wall warts and need to see which sounds best. She gets moved to the big rig tomorrow, driving the ST-70.

Nice job! I've started theDC B-1 now, Pearl next....hows the F-5 coming?

Russellc

Moved it to the "Big Rig", Krell KAV300cd, PS Digital Link set to 192khz, Bob Latino ST-70 running GL KT66 outputs. SPKs are AK's DIY Indignias. Got to say, after an hour, the B1 sounds very impressive, sweet, detailed and good soundstage. Will put 20 - 30 hrs on it before I try switching to the 24 volt PS. I could detect changes in the sound during the first 30 minutes, probably due to the Erse caps settling in.

ST-70 has adequate gain, PEC pots on the B1 are set at 0830 position. Lack of gain is not an issue with this amp.

The diy B1 is certainly a low dough, high value project.

Nice job! I've started theDC B-1 now, Pearl next....hows the F-5 coming?

Russellc

Thanks!

Got the tranny, power inlet, fuse holder, switch and hexfreds delivered. Still need to order up wire for PS and speaker outputs. Also need to get back to Westend regarding the case. He had some great ideas!

Moved it to the "Big Rig", Krell KAV300cd, PS Digital Link set to 192khz, Bob Latino ST-70 running GL KT66 outputs. SPKs are AK's DIY Indignias. Got to say, after an hour, the B1 sounds very impressive, sweet, detailed and good soundstage. Will put 20 - 30 hrs on it before I try switching to the 24 volt PS. I could detect changes in the sound during the first 30 minutes, probably due to the Erse caps settling in.

ST-70 has adequate gain, PEC pots on the B1 are set at 0830 position. Lack of gain is not an issue with this amp.

The diy B1 is certainly a low dough, high value project.

Thanks!

Got the tranny, power inlet, fuse holder, switch and hexfreds delivered. Still need to order up wire for PS and speaker outputs. Also need to get back to Westend regarding the case. He had some great ideas!

as far as gain is concerned, with every amp I've tried it with there was plenty of gain running a CD player into the B-1. Only with the F-5 is it a "problem" and only that with certain speaks. I'll be building the Pumpkin eventually.

After the DC B-1, I'm finally building my Bride of Zen Boards I've had since the 90's! That'll do it!

Russellc

Have the B1 running on 24volts. I much prefer this PS to the 18volt supply. Improved dynamics, bass, depth of sound stage. Just a better presentation of the music all around. This is a recommended upgrade.

With a swap of resistors, caps and a pair of Goldpoint attenuators, the B1 has to compete with the super high dollar equipment.

Oh well, got the DC1B boards, caps, mosfets, hot rod recitfiers and signal resistors. DC1B will get finished after the F5 build.

Here is the source for the 24V wall wart. Has anyone else used a 24V or higher PS?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=T994-P5P-ND&x=24&y=18

Resurrecting this old chestnut to discuss a new idea I've seen for a power supply. Currently, there is a thread on DIY in the Pass amps forum where a member uses one of Peter Daniels power supply boards. The thread is called "B-1 preamp build thread" where all the parts (not many at all) are listed. The poster uses regulators on the board and uses a nice transformer.

Russellc

Have the B1 running on 24volts. I much prefer this PS to the 18volt supply. Improved dynamics, bass, depth of sound stage. Just a better presentation of the music all around. This is a recommended upgrade.

With a swap of resistors, caps and a pair of Goldpoint attenuators, the B1 has to compete with the super high dollar equipment.

Oh well, got the DC1B boards, caps, mosfets, hot rod recitfiers and signal resistors. DC1B will get finished after the F5 build.

Here is the source for the 24V wall wart. Has anyone else used a 24V or higher PS?

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&site=us&keywords=T994-P5P-ND&x=24&y=18
I used a Lambda 24 v. switching supply on mine and have it set for around 19 V.. Maybe I should turn a pot and see what higher voltages will do.

Resurrecting this old chestnut to discuss a new idea I've seen for a power supply. Currently, there is a thread on DIY in the Pass amps forum where a member uses one of Peter Daniels power supply boards. The thread is called "B-1 preamp build thread" where all the parts (not many at all) are listed. The poster uses regulators on the board and uses a nice transformer.

Russellc
If you have the shunt boards and the regular B1 and P Daniels boards, why not do a comparison and see what it brings. I think you're going to find that the shunt-regulated boards have just a little better sound than the regular B1, no matter how you power it. I believe the Pass Labs product uses a hospital grade switching supply.

I sure love my B1/F5 combo. Sounds amazing in my room with the Jordan speakers in my avatar.

I used a Lambda 24 v. switching supply on mine and have it set for around 19 V.. Maybe I should turn a pot and see what higher voltages will do.

If you have the shunt boards and the regular B1 and P Daniels boards, why not do a comparison and see what it brings. I think you're going to find that the shunt-regulated boards have just a little better sound than the regular B1, no matter how you power it. I believe the Pass Labs product uses a hospital grade switching supply.

I'll have to question you about what parts changes are required to make it into a 19-24 volt supply. Is that info contained somewhere, or did you just calculate it out your self? If so , I need to learn how you altered the voltage in that unit.

Russellc

I sure love my B1/F5 combo. Sounds amazing in my room with the Jordan speakers in my avatar.

Seems like I saw an older post, ( 2006-2008) where you had a pair of the AN full range drivers. What became of them and what did you think? For the first time, I am seriously considering a full range setup.....

Russellc

Seems like I saw an older post, ( 2006-2008) where you had a pair of the AN full range drivers. What became of them and what did you think? For the first time, I am seriously considering a full range setup.....

Russellc

I never did anything with them. Ended up selling them to fund another project.

I have heard them in several different setups and they were good. I do think there are better options out there though. I like the Mark Audio stuff I've heard a lot. The Wild Burro drivers have a very nice tone to them. The new Dayton Point Source drivers seem to be showing a lot of promise as well.

Have the B1 running on 24volts. I much prefer this PS to the 18volt supply. Improved dynamics, bass, depth of sound stage. Just a better presentation of the music all around.

Any technical theories on why a higher-voltage PS would make an improvement when the 18V PS is already many, many times higher than the signal voltage?

Any technical theories on why a higher-voltage PS would make an improvement when the 18V PS is already many, many times higher than the signal voltage?

Its more the regulation that interests me mainly, but I have had several comment that it seems to sound better at 24 volts. I have not tried it, but the unit I am contemplating is adjustable.

Russellc

Back
Top Bottom