Faceplate Changes ?

Westy56

A symphony of paradox
I haven't found a kx-200 with the power light below the Fisher emblem (middle bottom).
Whoever had this carefully removed the "K" on the faceplate. It reads "#X-200".

Is this a later/early model kx200 faceplate?

attachment.php

Steve

Attachments

• 200_beacon.jpg
    200_beacon.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,716
Are you sure that the K has been removed?
The X-200 was the factory wired version of the K (kit)X-200.

Things to look for:
The lamp is different. Also, some fixed resistors under the chassis on a KX-200 are potentiometers on an X-200. Also, the X-200 logo is moved slightly to the left of how it would be if the K were in the name.

I can't tell more from the photo.

I found a picture that shows a very carefully made scrape where the "K" should be.

attachment.php

The close up is the best I can do with my camera and windows paint.
The chassis also has "StrataKit" printed on the top.

attachment.php

The KX-200 manual from our database looks to be dead on except the neon light location. The cover doesn't show the neon bulb, but it is mentioned in the parts list.

Steve

Last edited:
It's very difficult to tell with the glare and angle in the photo, can you tell me what that is on the top of the faceplate? It appears to be a headphone jack.

I have two KX-200's. The KX-200 has a pilot light on the top half of the faceplate, not the bottom, and does not have a headphone jack. There is nothing on the bottom half by the Fisher bird logo.

I'm guessing that the previous owner removed the pilot light from the top position, put a headphone jack in its place, and drilled a new hole in the bottom half for the pilot light.

Your right, I don't see any mention of a headphone jack in the manual.

I like the light better where it is, but wish he had left it as stock as possible. I never use headphones.
Still can't figure why he defaced the FP to hide the fact it's a kit.

Thanks Fisherdude

Steve

Still can't figure why he defaced the FP to hide the fact it's a kit.

Thanks Fisherdude

Steve

I would guess he thought it might be considered more valuable if it were a factory wired version. Obviously, he completely missed the "Stratakit" on the chassis.

Besides, wiring an amplifier isn't the most difficult thing in the world, and I'm quite certain that there were more than a few kit builders who were completely focused on doing the best possible job they could do on their new purchase, and I'm guessing that same thing can't necessarily be said of every one of the workers on the assembly line.

Having had an X-200 right next to a KX-200 flipped upside down on my bench, I found the KX-200 to be more neat under the chassis. The X-200 was predictably wired, but didn't have fancy dress. On the K, at least in this example, the wiring was top quality. I've seen others that were hobbyist quality and one that was only prototype quality. I guess for the KXs, the only thing you can be sure of is that you can't be sure of the wiring dress. The assembly instructions do tell you what to do and how to dress your leads to a certain extent, but it was always up to the individual.

Back
Top Bottom