Fair Trade? BELCOR Tube Rec vs. Klipsch Heresy

metsno1

Hey Y'all……

New to the forum and dangerously uninformed!! :music:

My current primary setup includes a Sansui QRX-4500 receiver with a pair of Klipsch Chorus I's on the front and a pair of original Klipsch Heresy's on the rear. I play mostly vinyl (Sony 5520), with a healthy mix of CD's thrown in.

I'm interested in acquiring a decent entry level (or better) tube receiver.

There is a local Klipsch enthusiast who is willing to trade me a recently recapped Belcor FAX-400C tube receiver (with all original Matsushita tubes) in stunningly nice condition for my Klipsch Heresy speakers. I have no problem parting with the Heresy's since I acquired the Chorus, but I'm concerned about the value match.

He is valuing the receiver between $600-$800. I can find absolutely no reference point online to make a judgment. I know placing a value onthese things is really subjective, but I'mwondering if anyone has any opinions onwhether or not this is a decent deal from a dollar for dollar standpoint.

Here's a link to the Belcor that was up on the bay, but attracted no bids:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/202347361618?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

Thanks for any thoughts/opinions!!

Attachments

• belcor.jpg
    belcor.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 22
If this was me I wouldn't do the trade. Consider the resale factor if you decide to sell on the Belcor in the future. If you cannot find info on it now and do not know much about it, then a possible future buyer would be facing the same issues. The Belcor is probably a good sounding receiver with 6BQ5 push-pull outputs, and so isn't a powerhouse receiver. For that kind of cash I would be looking at a more well know brand and model i.e. Fisher 400 for instance. I think it would be a good trade for him however.

Going by local ads, Heresy's tend to go around $400. Even a small stereo tube receiver in excellent working shape seems to fetch $300 easily, so I don't think you're all that far off in fairness.

Hereseys are common (I paid $250 for mine in boxes), clean tube receivers are not so common. If you are talking a straight up trade I would do that in a heartbeat. As far as valuation goes, it might help to know that the same units were sold as "Monacor" and "Martel". I have it's little brother, the Fax-200 (or is mine the 300?). I only paid $5 for it, but don't look for that to happen again! I think it is a really nice sounding little receiver. It will drive your Choruses to ear bleeding levels. Here are a couple links on mine, maybe you'll find something useful to you.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/in...-martel-fax-200c-receiver-early-rotel.462998/

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/help-id-and-schematic-monacor-sta-300x.288819/

Last edited:
If this was me I wouldn't do the trade. Consider the resale factor if you decide to sell on the Belcor in the future. If you cannot find info on it now and do not know much about it, then a possible future buyer would be facing the same issues. The Belcor is probably a good sounding receiver with 6BQ5 push-pull outputs, and so isn't a powerhouse receiver. For that kind of cash I would be looking at a more well know brand and model i.e. Fisher 400 for instance. I think it would be a good trade for him however.
While I agree with the point about potential resale, I also wish him luck finding a recapped 400 for that kind of money.

Martel Fax 200(needing so rehab) sold on ebay 5/18 for 106.50 + 24.99 shipping.
I found the one I had kind of anemic. Tried open baffle, horns, Karlsons, Dynaco A25XL & more speakers.
The Magnavox console pull with solid state pre was by far better.

Last edited:
Martel Fax 200(needing so rehab) sold on ebay 5/18 for 106.50 + 24.99 shipping.
I found the one I had kind of anemic. Tried open baffle, horns, Karlsons, Dynaco A25XL & more speakers.
The Magnavox console pull with solid state pre was by far better.
I would think that you may have had an issue with yours. I really like the sound of mine. I find it similar to my Marantz 2230.

While I agree with the point about potential resale, I also wish him luck finding a recapped 400 for that kind of money.
I agree you won’t find a cheap recapped Fisher, but recapping one is not a particularity hard job to do. However they sure are a nice looking piece of equipment with a wooden case surround.

The key to all of this is the looks and the listen. Heresies are a known quantity; you know what condition yours are in (functionally and cosmetically, plus when any refurb or upgrades were made) and can accurately determine what their market value should be.

For an unknown tube receiver you know nothing. Is it the one in the Ebay ad? If so, at least it is very clean. If not, what will it take to make it presentable?

What is the functional state of the unit? You say it was recapped. That is a great start, but which caps, and was that the only thing done? If the seller claims it was refurbed, you need to know when, by whom, and to what extent.

Finally, does the unit sound good to you? Tubes color sound. Most people find the coloration (usually 2nd harmonics) pleasant. But some people don't like certain types of tube sound, and some don't like tubes at all. Make sure you listen to the unit with your speakers in your listening space. If it sounds magical, and the unit is ready to run for quite a while, then the trade is a no-brainer. If the sound doesn't impress you then why bother?

The one on eBay has a TON of original caps in it. It's probably worth under half what they're asking. Your speakers are worth much more than that receiver, and are infinitely easier to sell. Don't bother.

Getting back to the original post--the amplifier in question here is NOT the one listed on Ebay--it is from a local private acquaintance with all original tubes and good cosmetics. Heresy's are a dime a dozen and you can snag a pair any day of the week while tripping over three other pair to get to them.

A vintage tube receiver in good cosmetic shape with matching original tubes is a LOT harder to come by--even if it does need some work, and is not a well-known and sought after marque (right now).

I'd do the trade, depending on the functionality of the receiver and the overall terms (if any cash needs to go either way). The receiver is IMO not worth $600-800, but I'd gladly unload a pair of Heresy's for pretty much anything that works.

How much does it cost to have a receiver completely recapped?.

I can spend $50k having a 1997 Toyota Corolla restored, but that’s not gonna make it a $50k car. The only relevant value is what this thing is actually worth restored, and I don’t think it’s as much as a set of Heresies.

You don't think a vintage tube receiver, fully functional and very clean, is worth $300? I would have to disagree. Either that or you are inflating the value of the Hereseys.

Of course we need more info on the Hereseys to place a value on them as well. HRB, Black, Walnut? I, II, III? Risers?

Back
Top Bottom