Fair Trade? BELCOR Tube Rec vs. Klipsch Heresy

A 6BQ5 amp/receiver is a perfect match for the Heresy's that's why it would be a shame to trade away one for the other

Yeah, but the Choruses are an even nicer fit, right?

If I'm being totally honest, I've never been blown away by the Heresy's. I like my EPI 180's, KLH Model 6's, and ADL L520's more than them! But all three of those speakers add more color than either of the Klipsch. Sometimes I'm in the mood for that, and sometimes I'm not. But either way, it definitely makes sense for me to move the Heresy's for another piece that I'll enjoy more.

Choruses will be a very good match and better than the Heresy's. I ran my Heresy's with a Pilot 602 for a while and it was very good. When hooked up to a Sansui 1000A they were good but when the Altec Boleros showed up out the door the Heresy's went and I never looked back. I like the Heresy's but I wouldn't buy them again. With that said to me the 6BQ5 is the most musically satisfying tube I've personal heard. The reason I like the Boleros is the horns are rolled off at the top so it tames the horns.

Last edited:
I'm still feeling pretty good about walking away from the deal. As I experiment with different things, I'm finding that what I really want is a bit more power behind the Choruses. In the meantime, I put together a system for my den with a Technics/Panasonic quad SA-5200A receiver and a mint pair of ADS LD520 that I think I'm actually preferring to my Sansui/Klipsch setup! Who knew?

I'm still feeling pretty good about walking away from the deal. As I experiment with different things, I'm finding that what I really want is a bit more power behind the Choruses. In the meantime, I put together a system for my den with a Technics/Panasonic quad SA-5200A receiver and a mint pair of ADS LD520 that I think I'm actually preferring to my Sansui/Klipsch setup! Who knew?
I grew up listening to a pair of Choruses with tube amp and then with solid state receiver in the 90's. They are surely great speakers but can be very harsh sounding with wrong amp pushing them. A mid powered tube amp will make them sing very well. In any case, they are much better speakers then the Heresies for sure. I never really could like the Heresies. Reading the whole thread, I feel that the trade in question is really a tricky one, I'm not a fan of both....Heresies and the Japanese 6bq5 tube receivers. I had some experience restoring the Pioneer, Hamlin, and a few other such tube receivers, but the results were always not so great - both sound and reliability wise. Caps and resistors failing here and there and everywhere....yaiks.

Back
Top Bottom