Fairly basic new CD player?

jay_moussy

I just realized several audio components around the house are getting a bit old, older classics, family hand-me downs and yard sale finds, including a couple of CD players...!

I think I need a fairly basic new CD player, and I need suggestions, as it looks to me like the low-end is very lightly built...

CDs represent 30+ year-old digital storage technology. (Would you buy a computer with a 30+ year-old disk drive?) If you care about high-fidelity sound reproduction, I suggest that you consider a "universal player" that will play CD, SACD, Blu-ray (audio and video), hi-res (e.g., 24bit/192kHz) FLAC downloads, and DSD downloads. With a universal player, you will have many more options in terms of selecting recorded music. Can you hear a difference in CD vs. newer high-bit-rate consumer deliverables? Only you can decide. If you care about high-fidelity sound reproduction, I suggest that you consider a machine that allows you to play all digital formats.

Last edited:
I have a workhorse Dennon DVD-758 in one system that will play a lot of formats and it was not that hard on the budget. Bought used, good internal DAC, sounds good. Not a new universal player, but a good bridge device :)

CDs represent 30+ year-old digital storage technology. (Would you buy a computer with a 30+ year-old disk drive?) If you care about high-fidelity sound reproduction, I suggest that you consider a "universal player" that will play CD, SACD, Blu-ray (audio and video), hi-res (e.g., 24bit/192kHz) FLAC downloads, and DSD downloads. With a universal player, you will have many more options in terms of selecting recorded music. Can you hear a difference in CD vs. newer high-bit-rate consumer deliverables? Only you can decide. If you care about high-fidelity sound reproduction, I suggest that you consider a machine that allows you to play all digital formats.

For audio only a cheaper option would be a used higher end DVD player that will do SACD and DVD-A then combine that with a DAC for your computer for downloads/rips.

That is playing to the fear of missing out.

CD is viable even if Mr High Resolution doesn't feel so. The original man specifically asked for basic cd player recommendation not for opinions on what is suitable sources for "high fidelity sound reproduction"..... Giorgi come to think, I can play Mr High Resolution "high fidelity sound reproductions" on standard cd that would make him weep.
OK...so what's your recommendation for a fairly basis new CD player "that would make him weep" (hopefully in a good way)?

there's a wide range of choices all based on availability (local CL, eBay, here on AK), and
money you have. if you can afford that machine that has it all (CD, SACD, bluray, DSD,
downloads) then by all means. or if you're interested in newer formats then there's
a lot to choose from. SACD units from the early 2000s are bargains - many are under $25
(my Samsung hd841 was $25 shipped).

the decision should be whether you or your wallet is ready for hires downloads, combo units
that make an all-in-one (audio, TV, etc), whether you need upgrade/options for the next
8K/12K/MQA/etc feature, and playback for all those features and formats you don't have current
equipment for.

like the computer biz, the hardware is cheap and the software (by per user licensing, site
licensing, or monthly subscriptions per user) is costly, you may consider the amount you
spend is devoted to the hardware or the music/video you will listen to.

I would be buying a used Oppo, say a BDP-93 and these can be had for $200.
If they have been used primarily for DVD's, chances they have seen very little use.
The Onkyo C-7030 and Yamaha S-300 are also good CD only choices. S-300 has much better build quality but the BDP-93 will run circles around these CD players for sound. I don't have the C-7030 anymore but still use the S-300 and the BDP-93.

I love it when people speak of themselves in first person and are serious. It makes me laugh out loud every time. Very entertaining when reading a forum.

Emotiva makes budget friendly nicely built cd players which are several steps above the light weight entry level stuff.
I have to second this one. I owned an ERC3 that I recently sold. It is an amazing player. Built like a tank. There are some reports of a noisy transport system, but mine was dead quiet. Why did I sell? Went to an Oppo 105D, because it did everything and the sound quality was a bit better than the Emotiva.

:beerchug:
Figured as much, try the word I in place of name:D. Normally jackasses mention themselves in first person and I don’t think you are one.

And it still makes me laugh :rolleyes:

Figured as much, try the word I in place of name:D. Normally jackasses mention themselves in first person and I don’t think you are one.

And it still makes me laugh :rolleyes:
Okay, so, if you are going to correct the grammar of a non-native speaker of English, please be sure that your 'correction' is correct.

"I" IS the 'first person. "You" would be 'second', and use of the name, giorgi, is the 'third person'. Please note and file, for future reference.

I do agree that he, giorgi, is not an asshole. The use of a translator is often fraught with both errors, and comedy. He was kind enough to explain this, in his signature, and ask our indulgence. Though you might mean to be laughing with him, if he is not laughing, then his perception is that someone is not pleasant.

Let's cut the man some slack.

Thank you.

Ah. come edits have removed the context.

The lesson still stands, on its own merit.

giorgi, I don't think GChief was being intentionally mean. Sometimes, the intent is not clear, even if one is not using a translator.

Okay, everybody grab a drink, and we'll all move on.

Ah. come edits have removed the context.

The lesson still stands, on its own merit.

giorgi, I don't think GChief was being intentionally mean. Sometimes, the intent is not clear, even if one is not using a translator.

Okay, everybody grab a drink, and we'll all move on.

You are correct, I did not intend it to be mean at all. I did a very poor job of trying to help someone out. I would want someone to tell me something like this and I would never take offense! And I do appreciate your input! Ask me how to fix something mechanical or electronic I can be your man, grammar not so much :confused:

I second the TEAC CD P-650. It tends to get good reviews and has a couple added features you may want in the future over the basic RCA jack plug and play. I have a TEAC CD P-1260 in one of my systems, its just RCA jack out and a bit cheaper than the 650. It has a remote and a headphone jack too. Ive been using it for several years and it works well. Both can still be found new.

Back
Top Bottom