"FAKE" Tube Amps?

gdmoore28

Recently discussed in another thread:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/addict...VjIeYHDC/7N4A==&reflink=article_copyURL_share

In the "Comments" section of the WSJ article, a reader made reference to a very interesting thread concerning "fake" Chinese tube amps, the NobSound MS-10D MII specifically. Seems this has become a very popular budget amp, and has spawned a large following, with much discussion of tube rolling and the sound quality improvements made with tube substitution.

Problem is, if the the tech who authored the OP is correct, the tubes on this amp are not even in the audio chain, and light up only because of a circuit feeding power to them. Removing the tubes altogether makes no difference in amp performance. The "real" amp inside is all solid state.

Would love to hear from genuine techs who can confirm or discount this claim.

GeeDeeEmm

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/to...-chinese-tube-amplifier-nobsound-ms-10d-mkii/

Many are hybrids. The problem is some are not listed as hybrid. Tube front ends with SS output. I have seen different models listed as hybrid. At leased some sellers are honest about it. I have a small hybrid headphone amp with a SS single ended output. It sounds pretty nice. And doubles as a line out with volume. I use the line out to drive my 300B. Its quiet and clear sounding. I have watched a few videos in the past showing some fake tube amps. Pull the tubes and the amp just keeps playing.

Genuine hybrids, where the tubes actually provide signal processing, are fine. In this case, it appears the tubes are only used to provide a tube-like start-up delay on an otherwise entirely solid-state amplifier, and to create a sense of realism by cutting the signal if the tubes are removed.

I can't say I'm surprised.

I've been looking at cheap GPS/GPRS trackers, and the number of units having GPS in the name, printed on the case,cans having a picture of a satellite on the case, but not actually having a GPS receiver at all, it pretty high. And even when this is pointed out to the vendor (in review comments), the description is not changed.

At least these things actually have valves in them...

Genuine hybrids, where the tubes actually provide signal processing, are fine. In this case, it appears the tubes are only used to provide a tube-like start-up delay on an otherwise entirely solid-state amplifier, and to create a sense of realism by cutting the signal if the tubes are removed.

If you don’t tell anyone that they aren’t hooked up I bet it will still have tube warmth and bloom.

I've been looking at cheap GPS/GPRS trackers, and the number of units having GPS in the name, printed on the case,cans having a picture of a satellite on the case, but not actually having a GPS receiver at all, it pretty high. And even when this is pointed out to the vendor (in review comments), the description is not changed.
If a thing is billed as a "GPS/GPRS tracker", but doesn't have a GPS unit in it, what does it do?

At least a solid-state amp with tubes only for show makes a certain cheesy sense; it's the amplifier equivalent of having a monster spoiler or hood scoops on your grocery-getter, around-town wheezeabout car. But a GPS/GPRS tracker that doesn't... Track??
If you don’t tell anyone that they aren’t hooked up I bet it will still have tube warmth and bloom.
Yup. Probably do tube rolling too, and find a set of tubes you really like.

The tubes are in circuit, though what the power tubes are doing is anyone's guess :)

One of those amplifiers here -- it's a little dry and grainy sounding, but certainly not bad sounding.

upload_2018-10-20_17-50-51.png

The various interior pictures on the web of the nobsound ms-10d mk2 show a conventional solid state power amp stage but we can't tell without getting hold of one, where exactly the tubes are or aren't placed in the circuit. They may be in the tone stage up front or simply there for display.

Clearly, the power amplification is solid state without a doubt. The mk2 (USB) unit appears to be well made for what it is.

If the tubes are in the signal path, it could be called a hybrid I guess.

Are you sure?

The analysis at https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/to...-chinese-tube-amplifier-nobsound-ms-10d-mkii/, though rather muddled, suggests to me that the tubes are only being used to turn the solid-state amplifier's audio signal on and off. They don't appear to be in the signal chain in any meaningful manner, and are going to be barely conducting with 12v on the plate.
It sounds different with different tubes in it. I started tracing the circuit but got bored.

Plate starved (small signal) tubes can be surprisingly useful -- the power tubes in the thing, however, I am more skeptical of.

There are fake tube radios, too...

I saw those for sale at Walgreen's a decade ago. 'Couldn't resist and bought a few.
Wired up a wall wart to one and put it on my desk as a fun dust collector. The other got shipped to my brother (who is similarly interested in music and music reproduction).

there's an older xiangsheng headphone amp (708B) with a circular view window with a tube -
that tube is not in the sound chain, you could salvage that tube and put a dud in.

marketing...

Back
Top Bottom