Family Stories

Yesterday was a super busy day for us. We delivered to 4 families. Nance will fill you all in very soon.

Awesome stories (tearing up a little here) - anyway thank you Mr. and Ms. Grumpy for all you do!

Dang, I was holding up pretty good until the Nichole story. It's funny to think that some folks think AK is just an audio site. Bless you both, and tell Dave I think he should keep that new avatar. :yes:

In all of my travels and travails on the interwebs, this here joint has by far the kindest and most generous people of all. :yes:

Sorry that I couldn't shake any tubeage out of the stash for you this year, brother Jay. :D

Happy Holidays to all.:tresbon:

I hope that everyone had a Merry Christmas. I know that you have made the holidays very special for many families. I know I am behind on the stories, but I have been so busy that I didn't turn my computer on for 2 days, that is a lot for me.

I will have a full update tomorrow on the rest of the families, and I have one story in particular that will touch your heart.

TIFFANY

I would like for my family to be adopted so that my children can have a great christmas. I have been unemployed and have been having a hard time finding a job.

Since Tiffany had applied for help she had found a part time job. So we had to work around her work schedule to go shopping. I met her at the store at 8:30 in the morning, right after she dropped her kids off, and before she needed to be at work. This young woman was so full of energy, she said that she had talked to her children about Santa Claus and Christmas. She said they had told the older ones that it was going to be a small Christmas this year. She said that her oldest told her that it was OK as long as they stayed a family. I wanted to cry when I heard that.

Tiffany and her husband have 4 children between them. They have an 8 yr old girl, an 11 1/2 yr old son, and (2) 9 1/2 yr old boys, each one brought a boy into the marriage and it was really strange because their birthdays were only 2 days apart.

When I told Tiffany what her budget was to shop, she was on a mission to get the most for her money. She decided that she was going to give the kids only things that they needed. PJ's, underwear, sox, jeans, shirts, coats and boots. There was no changing her mind, she did not want to get them toys. She told me that some of her family said that they were getting the kids toys and that she wanted to make sure that they had the things that they needed. I was not about to argue with her, she was on a mission, and we shopped for her family in about an hour. It was a record shopping trip, and she got everything on her list that she brought.

I always have a tear in my eye when I say good bye to these moms. But I saw a little bit of myself in this one and as we said good bye she started crying. She said she was in a dream, that she couldn't believe that someone would do this for her. I wished her a Merry Christmas and we hugged. Another deserving family.

MICHELLE

I would like for my family to be adopted this year because we just found out that my fiance is going to have to go to part time in October. This is going to put a bigger strain on everything especially the holidays. I am currently looking for a job but am having no luck yet. I just would like for my kids to have a nice Christmas this year. I have an oldest daughter who just turned 16 who has been suffering from depression for the past year as I have also. I just want them to have a stress free holiday. Thanks.

This family has a 16 yrs old daughter, 14 yr old son, 8 yr old son and 6 yr old daughter. When we get the information on a family, it tells you all the children "under 16", VOA does not provide for anyone over the age of 15. So when we get a family that has the older kids, we know it is important to make them feel special too, in part because they are the ones that the little ones look up to. And if Santa comes for the older siblings, the younger ones keep the magic alive longer.

When I set up the time to meet Michelle she asked if her mother could come shopping with us, I said sure. It was interesting seeing how her mother kind of took control because of the emotional state of Michelle. I could see where mom was trying to keep her spirits up and keep us moving. Michelle was having a hard time accepting what was going on. She kept saying she not deserving of what we were doing. I kept encouraging her and telling her how important this was for her children.

Mom helped to make this another power shopping trip. After getting some great deals on clothing for the kids, we were getting near our budget cap. Now when I go in to shop for a family I always kept a little extra, just in case there was something that was needed. In this case, she needed to get each kid a toy. So I told her that we needed to go to the toy department. I made sure that she picked out a toy for each one of her kids, and we even found some music that the oldest one wanted.

Once the items were totaled at the register, I saw Michelle wisper to her mom that we went over the total and she was digging through the bags trying to decide what to put back. I told her it was OK, she was taking all the stuff home for her family. She started crying. I felt so bad that I made her cry right there, but I also know how much it ment to her.

As we left the store, the mom stopped and gave me a hug. She told me that if it weren't for us the kids wouldn't have more than 1 present each, under the tree. I wished them both well and watched as they got to the moms car and they loaded all the bags into the back of it. Then they stopped, both crying and just stood in the parking lot hugging. I am sure they were tears of joy.

On Monday, December 23rd, David called VOA and asked for 4 families that I could take gift cards to. I made the calls Monday morning and was able to get ahold of 3 of the families, and off I went.

RICHARD

Richard was a single dad with custody of his 4 kids. He was so happy to get my call and I was able to drop off gift cards before he had to be at work. He said that Tuesday morning he was going to be able to go shopping.

CAITLIN

Widowed mom Caitlin was currently unemployed and had purchased a few items for her 3 girls. But the gift cards were going to make her daughters faces light up on Christmas morning. She was so thankful, and had made arrangements for someone of watch her kids on Monday night so that she could go shopping.

It's such a blessing for us to be associated with you and the work you and David do to make all this happen.

We just have fun with the easy part. :banana:

You truly are fine people. I am honoured to call you my friends.

I have kept this family separate from the other gift card families because you are not going to believe this story. David and I always asked for families that are "hard to adopt", these can be families with many children or with extenuating circumstances. This is unbelievable.

SHAKIRA

My family and I are staying with my parents right now. October 29th, 2013 someone thought it would be funny to drench my pumpkins on my porch in gasoline and set them on fire. My home was destroyed, but my family and I made it out alive. We lost everything. The situation made the Channel 4 news. My brother has tried to help and started a website with our story and also the news report from that day Nhiswords.com. Any help this Christmas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I would like to express how much I appreciate being considered for adoption this year.

I was able to reach Shakira at work and we were going to meet at her parents house after she got off of work. So David and I headed out there, it was about a 40 minute drive from our house, but so worth it.

We got to her moms house and were welcomed by Shakira's mom. Such a sweet lady. She told me that she and her husband were "empty nesters". Her 4 children were all grown, her husband retired last year and she worked part time. She told me how her oldest son was a doctor in another state, she had a daughter who was a nurse, a son who works in Television and Shakira who was on her way to being a nurse. But like many young women, she found a great man, fell in love, got married, and school got put on the back burner. Shakira does have a good job, she works in a Nursing Home and her husband has a job that takes care of his family. But this fire has wiped them out, they lost everything. This family has 5 children a 9 yr old boy, 6 1/2 yr old girl, twin 5 yr old girls and a 3 month old girl.

When Shakira got to the house she told me about the night of the fire. Three of her kids happened to be spending the night at her sisters house. It was about 4 o'clock in the morning and she happened to be awake feeding her baby, which was 5 weeks old. She heard a "boom", she said it sounded like a car crash. She continued feeding the baby, but after a few minutes she thought that it looked bright outside her front window. So she decided to go to the front door and look out. As she came out of the living room she saw her front door engulfed in flames. Her husband was still in bed, usually he would have already been gone to work but he had overslept. She woke him up and got her 6 1/2 yr old up and they all got out. After she called 911 she called her mom, who lives about 5 minutes away. By the time mom got there the whole main floor was in flames. The fire department put the fire out and left, most of the top floor was intact, just smoke damaged. Well, there must have been fire still going in the walls because the fire department had to come back out and put out the fire again. This time, it was a total loss.

Shakira was such a positive person. Her and her husband have saved enough up to start looking for a house. They are slowly getting all the things that the kids need and the gift cards will help them with cloths and presents for Christmas. I wish I could have done more for them. But it sounds like she has a wonderful mom who is so supportive of her. And her mom said they are going to help them as much as they can once they find a house, it isn't going to be easy, but as her mom said "Shakira and her husband are determined and are going to make it ".

When we went to leave, hugs and thank you's were plenty. Special family.

In the process of talking to VOA on Monday, and me out delivering gift cards. David got a call from VOA. Apparently a family had commited to adopting a family with a daughter who has a heart condition. On Monday morning VOA received a call stating that they could not afford to adopt the little girls family. WHAT ???

David calls me while I am out delivering gift cards and asked me if there was anything we could do. Oh heck yeah there is. I told him that I could not deliver the cards but if VOA could get the family to come into the office, that we would donate enough to adopt this family too.

All the families are important, but when you have a sick child, especially one where this could be her last Christmas, my heart was breaking.

I have to say if it wasn't for a lot of the last minute auctions, this may not have happened. But you guys came through. You are just an amazing group and I am so proud to be a part of it. Thank you so much !!!

Proud to be a member of AK. This auction was heartfelt by both my wife and myself. Happy Holidays. MKane

Thank you so much Nancy and Dave. Very heartwarming stories. We really liked to hear about the Food Bank donation. You're the best!!!

Warm Holiday Wishes to all of the AK family. :tresbon::tresbon::tresbon: and a :banana: for good measure.:D

Regards, Bob & Patty

We are still recovering from the holidays, one more party tomorrow. In the next week we will be making our final donations by the second week in January.

Thank you for all your support.

Mr & Mrs G I hope someday to meet you face to face. You are warn and wonderful people living the true meaning of pay it forward. May God Bless You.

Mr & Mrs G I hope someday to meet you face to face. You are warn and wonderful people living the true meaning of pay it forward. May God Bless You.

We are only the messengers. The real heros are the members here on AK who donate their time and items to auction off and raise money. I also cannot forget the members who just send us money.

You guys are my heros, thank you for allowing me to be the bearer of good news for the families.

Head start on 2014

I'm not a frequent poster to the forum though I've been a member and subscriber for quite a few years now. I missed out on all of the action for 2013 but I'd like to propose something to get a head start on the 2014 Holiday Season. I have a nice Luxman R-1040 receiver that I have used in my office system for several years and have recently replaced with a Marantz 2230 that Kyle (Jailtime) recently re-capped and re-furbed for me.

This is my proposition. I'll donate the Luxman, pay for shipping to a capable member of the forum to recap/refurb it as well as for the necessary parts. Then we can see about auctioning it off to put some seed money into the 2014 fund.

I donate to charities here in my town both as an individual and through my workplace but it appears that the Grumpy's live in or near the Detroit area and I'll be damned if that isn't one of the hardest struggling places in the U.S today. I have a keen interest in seeing what eventually rises from that place over the next few years.

If someone is interested in joining me by donating the hands-on work on the Luxman, PM me.

Thanks,
Keith

Keith, I will bring this to the attention of Ernie and David. We will see what we can do. I am wondering if Kegger could be someone to do this. Send him a PM and see if he can help, if not, he may be able to help you find someone who can help.
Thank you for your support Keith.

Back
Top Bottom